Cars Stolen

Comments

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Doesn't take long to grab keys alarm or no alarm. We have a monitored alarm and security gates, plus lots of CCTV. So we are reasonably secure. The fobs for the gates and the keys are kept out of sight, but they would have to climb a 10ft wall to gain entry to the grounds. The alarm is the last line of defence.

In the situation the OP was in, he would have had the choice of confronting or not. There is no guarantee the burglars would have run away at the start of the audible alarm. If they can get 30 - 50k worth of cars, they might risk it. These weren't opportunists. I don't think an alarm would have made much of a difference.

Ok, if they were prepared to be violent then there is nothing anyone can do to stop them. But most car thieves would look for a house without an alarm if they could.
  • We have had the same alarm for 27 years; it has only gone off three times in all that period; twice were faults and once was a burglary; the burglars scarpered empty-handed as soon as it went off. I always set it for downstairs at night so if anyone does break in I get plenty of warning before I wake to find them standing over me in the bedroom!

Having said that unfortunately I can't pursuade my daughter and son-in-law to get one; shame because getting one after a break-in is too late (like some neighbours of mine did). I really don't understand why they won't; he just says he doesn't want to live in a prison or something like that but they could still set it when they are out surely?
  • SuzieSue
    edited 31 August 2017 at 10:00AM
    I always set it for downstairs at night so if anyone does break in I get plenty of warning before I wake to find them standing over me in the bedroom!

That is what I do too. You don't have to confront the burglars if it goes off at night and they don't run, but at least you get some warning.

I also have a lock like this:

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/TEMPLOCK.html

on my bedroom door so no-one can get in without kicking down the door as I used to occasionally have dreams about someone entering my bedroom when I was asleep which have now stopped.
  • matt1987
    matt1987 Posts: 897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all your replies since yesterday.

So yes, I do wish I had installed an alarm - its one of those things that you kind of always want to do, but never get round to doing it - same with CCTV.

Anyway, due to the cars being replaced like for like we are now identifying where we can improve on home security - as this incident has really affected us.

Burglar alarm being installed tomorrow with pet friendly sensors and door contact alarms.

CCTV being installed next month

2 security lights being installed next month

Anti snap locks being fitted on all doors today

Driveway post being fitted the weekend.

Steering locks being purchased for new vehicles.

Indoor cctv camera already installed.

To say that we have spent a fortune is an understatement - it was our wedding gift money that we have had to use but its something that we feel we need to do now to feel safe in our own home. A baseball bat will also be purchased.
  • SuzieSue
    matt1987 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies since yesterday.

So yes, I do wish I had installed an alarm - its one of those things that you kind of always want to do, but never get round to doing it - same with CCTV.

Anyway, due to the cars being replaced like for like we are now identifying where we can improve on home security - as this incident has really affected us.

Burglar alarm being installed tomorrow with pet friendly sensors and door contact alarms.

CCTV being installed next month

2 security lights being installed next month

Anti snap locks being fitted on all doors today

Driveway post being fitted the weekend.

Steering locks being purchased for new vehicles.

Indoor cctv camera already installed.

To say that we have spent a fortune is an understatement - it was our wedding gift money that we have had to use but its something that we feel we need to do now to feel safe in our own home. A baseball bat will also be purchased.

Wow. But I can't say I blame you.
  • We have locks on all our downstairs internal doors which are locked each night. If burglars came via the back they could not get into the central hallway or, more importantly, upstairs. From the front we have a Rocdoor and then a heavy locked internal porch door. We are insured and property matters less than trauma/injury so as long as they leave us alone that is all we care about.
  • matt1987
    matt1987 Posts: 897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have locks on all our downstairs internal doors which are locked each night. If burglars came via the back they could not get into the central hallway or, more importantly, upstairs. From the front we have a Rocdoor and then a heavy locked internal porch door. We are insured and property matters less than trauma/injury so as long as they leave us alone that is all we care about.

Thats a good idea - I might invest in some bolts for the internal doors too!
  • Bit of an update -

The insurers have ordered us a new Audi and we signed the form on Friday to say that we will accept this as full and final settlement of the claim. New car was on the boat last week and is due to arrive in the next 7-10 days.

Mini is the same, although we havent signed any forms for that yet as it was still under discussion as to which dealership to go with due to pricing, but my local has a vehicle in stock which would be ready for next week - hopefully we will have at least 1 car between us both next week!

However, I had a phone call this morning from the police stating that the Audi had been recovered with considerable front end damage - its still an ongoing incident however no one has been arrested yet (driver managed to be taken from the vehicle by others and whisked away). Will this now affect the claim considering we have signed forms for the new one accepting the new car as full and final settlement?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    matt1987 wrote: »
    Bit of an update -

The insurers have ordered us a new Audi and we signed the form on Friday to say that we will accept this as full and final settlement of the claim. New car was on the boat last week and is due to arrive in the next 7-10 days.

Mini is the same, although we havent signed any forms for that yet as it was still under discussion as to which dealership to go with due to pricing, but my local has a vehicle in stock which would be ready for next week - hopefully we will have at least 1 car between us both next week!

However, I had a phone call this morning from the police stating that the Audi had been recovered with considerable front end damage - its still an ongoing incident however no one has been arrested yet (driver managed to be taken from the vehicle by others and whisked away). Will this now affect the claim considering we have signed forms for the new one accepting the new car as full and final settlement?

Doubt it.

• neilmcl wrote: »
    And this is generally the advice by the police. Whilst don't leave your keys on display but don't then take them upstairs to bed with you either.

Oh really? I keep my car keys in a very odd place, figuring if I was broken into they'd never find them. Didn't occur to me that I might be in the house at the time and they'd come looking for me to get the keys.

I better change my ways.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport