Got myself into a sorry old mess..

Options
Hello! I'm doing a daily statement of all my debts and any movement to keep myself accountable every single day! Attempting to tackle one by one starting with the smallest and going up. I realise this may not be the best way to do it but psychologically I will like ticking them all of the list! So here is the sorry state of affairs:

Loan - 8103
Barclaycard - 3859
Very - 1280
Capital one CC - 735
Nationwide CC - 476
HSBC o/d - 350
NW o/d - 150
Family loan for buying house - 1000 (really 2000 but split with other half)
Total - 15953:eek: basically a years wage!

I will do a proper soa at some point but at the moment setting out the debts is quite enough!

Here's hoping this works :j
Starting Debt 19/03/17 - £15953 :eek: - Current Debt - £16635 = +682 :(

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Which debt are you tackling first?

Do you know how the debt came about? I.e. Is it due to particular event (car, wedding, holiday, home improvements, redundancy or maternity leave?) alternatively is it years of poor budgeting and overspending meaning it has built up overtime with maybe debt consolidation once or twice?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GrowingUp57
    Options
    Hi there, the family debt and loan are both fixed monthly payments at £250 p/m and £231 p/m respectively so the family loan will gone by 1st July! So apart from those, I'm going to go for the credit cards first starting with the nationwide one, then the very account, then the overdrafts and then lastly i can plough overpayments on that loan!

Years and years of poor budgeting, spending money I don't have and yes a couple of debt consolidations thrown in too, I would be able to tell you where it's all gone, trying to maintain a lifestyle I clearly can't afford! :(

I've just turned 30, bought a house and got engaged all this year so really hit home that this needs sorting out!
  • GrowingUp57
    Options
    Didn't really spend today had a nice walk with the dogs and then a bath but then went out for tea. Meal each with a drink in spoons £19.14, came out of the joint account so nothing added to debt :)
  • GrowingUp57
    Options
    Today should be NSD as working all day, I work from home so big bonus spending wise although I did sacrifice a higher wage to do so! So breakfast, lunch and cups of tea all sorted for £0, going to get some mince out and have spaghetti bolognaise for tea, simple but have everything in and relatively healthy (I.e not processed) as diet hasn't been the best recently. Frozen chips and pizzas are much cheaper than fresh fruit and veg!

Same story today

Loan - 8103
    Barclaycard - 3859
    Very - 1280
    Capital one - 735
    Nationwide - 476
    HSBC o/d - 350
    NW o/d - 150
    Family loan for buying house - 1000 (really 2000 but split with other half)
    Total - 15953

:)
  • GrowingUp57
    GrowingUp57 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2017 at 12:39PM
    Options
    Just looking at household bills. The annoying thing is I'm already really savvy with all this stuff, I shop around every year and always get the right deals it's just my personal spending that is out of control. Most of these are brand new deals I've shopped around for so I just can't see anyway of getting them down.

Mortgage - 170

CT - 112

Sky - 69 (need top package due to working from home - this is actually with 50% off!)

Gas and Elec - 75 (brand new tarriff with First Utility)

Pet - 54 (I have 4 dogs and I pay for a top policy)

Life - 30 (brand new through financial advisor)

Water - 20

Buildings - 19 (again brand new)

Contents - 17 (already had this policy and it was £11 however moving and adding engagement ring bumped it up)

TV - 12

Netflix- 6

Total - 584

I pay 50%
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi

What the the % apr's for the cards?

You need to find this out. Then try to move the largest % to the 0% deal cards, as it could be your are only paying off the interest and not the actual amount.

Good luck
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • GrowingUp57
    Options
    kazwookie wrote: »
    Hi

What the the % apr's for the cards?

You need to find this out. Then try to move the largest % to the 0% deal cards, as it could be your are only paying off the interest and not the actual amount.

Good luck

Thank you. I will find out and post all with APR's. What I do know is that none of them are 0% but my payments are covering some main payment aswell as interest.
  • GrowingUp57
    Options
    Managed the NSD :j

Chuffed with myself as made corn beef hash for tea with some potatoes that would have gone in the bin otherwise.

Can't pay anything at all off debt until payday but at least I haven't added to it.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you really need the top package from Sky, dont think you do, you have Netflix.
  • GrowingUp57
    Options
    Sorry I can't seem to quote on my phone! It's mainly for the internet so I need the unlimited fibre broad band due to working from home so with that the deal we got (family and friends) automatically gave us all the TV too. So it really more about the internet than TV. Suppose I could always cancel the Netflix for the time being but one wonders whether it's really worth cancelling for the sake of £3 a month. I know it's bad but £3 a month isn't going to go very far at all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport