Advice needed - who is at fault and what should I do?!

Hi all

Wondering if anyone can give me any advice?

This evening I was reversing out of a parent and child parking bay in Asda car park.. no one around at all... the next thing I know I hear a noise and I have reversed into a BMW!

The driver had nipped into the spot next to me so quickly that I hadn't seen him at all. I was reversing to the right and I have slightly scuffed the passenger back end on the corner of his car which tells me I only caught his car because he had driven into the spot as I was coming out.
He says it's my fault and I agreed as I was In fluster and gave him my name and phone number.

Now I'm kicking myself as I have told him we can sort it outside the insurance ... he has a brand new BMW and it looks like I have slightly scuffed the paint work. He was making it out to be worse (can't blame him seeing as he has such an expensive car). It probably is my fault in the eyes of liability laws and right of way.

What does everyone think? Shall I ring my insurance company and tell them this? I have 8 years protected NCD and I know this has happened as he was inpatient.

Thankyou all :)

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    KatieW1985 wrote: »
    ..The driver had nipped into the spot next to me so quickly that I hadn't seen him at all. ...

Yes, that's would happens. Drivers often hit things that they haven't seen.
    KatieW1985 wrote: »
    ...What does everyone think? Shall I ring my insurance company and tell them this? I have 8 years protected NCD and I know this has happened as he was inpatient.

Contact your insurance company and let them deal with it.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you were reversing there'll be a strong presumption that you were the one at fault, that coupled with the fact that you seem to have not been paying enough attention to notice someone driving into the space next to you (sorry, no offence intended but that's how it reads) means that you're very unlikely to be able to put the blame onto him. Shared liability (realistically the best you would manage) would have the same impact on your future premiums as full liability on your part.

So your options are basically (1) pay him what he wants, even if you think it's excessive or (2) pass it to your insurers and let them pay for you.

If you don't claim for damage to your own car there'll be no excess to pay and if you have protected NCD there'll be no loss of NCD - though your premiums will still likely rise a but because of the accident itself. You can get an idea of how much by doing a dummy quote on a comparison site, and decide what to do based on that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure