IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Smart Parking- NtK issued

Comments

• Parky2017
    Parky2017 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 May 2017 at 8:42PM
    Will do, DoaM, thank you.

(In actual fact, the other half of our holiday-party were in a second vehicle that day. They were also issued with a PCN, on the grounds of an incorrect VRN-input, in their case. I won't elaborate on this, since the second car occupants would rather avoid the stress of an appeal).

Quick question: I understand that some of these threads may be monitored by PPCs, in an attempt to identify appellants. That being the case, is it not feasible that PPCs will be continuously developing ever-stronger and more watertight ways in which to combat their victims' defence statements?

Incidentally, I can hardly express how impressed and overwhelmed I am at the dedication and support offered by experienced members of this forum. It is truly heartening.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    (In actual fact, the other half of our holiday-party were in a second vehicle that day. They were also issued with a PCN, on the grounds of an incorrect VRN-input, in their case. I won't elaborate on this, since the second car occupants would rather avoid the stress of an appeal).
    The appeal process won't take long. In fact, once we've okayed your POPLA appeal, your friends can virtually copy yours word for word.

The alternative is they remain uncertain for 6 years as to what Smart Parking might do next to pursue the charge. An otherwise litigiously benign PPC, they have just started putting their heads above the parapet and issued a handful of small claims.

ParkingEye were like this until approx 4 years ago, then they unleashed a tsunami of claims, now in the region of 25,000 per annum. One of the then PE senior managers is now the CEO of Smart Parking.

If your friends are concerned with the stress of a POPLA appeal, they ain't seen nothing yet when compared to defending a small claims court claim! Advise them to get this 'killed' as soon as possible.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    if the PPC,s employed intelligent people then you might have a case

but if you pay peanuts you get monkeys and they seem to fall over the same stumbling blocks time and time again, so much so that they get warned in court by the judges over their conduct and the paucity of their "claims"

it seems the judiciary are getting wise to their antics and a few of the solicitor firms get their fingers burned regularly, so much so that one of them is known as a "you`ve been GLADSTONED" and others like BW LEGAL dont fare well either

and EXCEL have many cases for Chorlton and the PEEL CENTRE STOCKPORT that fail quite regularly too , never mind that VCS and APCOA tend not to take cases to court at the airports due to bylaws issues

the word "think" doesnt seem to cover their antics , its derogatory to the "2 short planks" it refers to , lol :)
  • Parky2017
    edited 3 May 2017 at 9:24PM
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    The appeal process won't take long. In fact, once we've okayed your POPLA appeal, your friends can virtually copy yours word for word.

I wish they would, but although they have put in their first-stage appeal, I have to respect their choice to pay the invoice, even though it only strengthens the resolve of these cowboy firms. I've tried convincing them that their case is even stronger than mine (which is true) but I ought not take this thread too far off-topic. I should keep it to the case to be fought, which is mine.

The only reason I mention the second PCN is that that was what alerted me to just how widespread and pressing this issue is. I was- and still am- shocked to uncover the scale of all of this, how deliberately cynical and calculating it all is, and how it can be allowed to continue.
  • Redx
    edited 17 May 2017 at 5:59PM
    Parky2017 wrote: »

The only reason I mention the second PCN is that that was what alerted me to just how widespread and pressing this issue is. I was- and still am- shocked to uncover the scale of all of this, how deliberately cynical and calculating it all is, and how it can be allowed to continue.

which is something a lot of the regulars here found out when we started coming here looking for help, in my case some 4 years ago when my family members were being targeted , so I suppose I am a Redx2013 ;)

and think of lamilad who came last year I believe because he was the target of a witch hunt by EXCEL (or VCS) and was taken to court , possibly more than once , so has gone from being a greenhorn to a very handy regular , same as loadsofchildren , plus many , MANY more

we are still awaiting the government (which is now dissolved) to issue findings and details on changing these issues , like the DCLG and also the revue by T May into the absent CCJ sc@ms
  • Parky2017
    Redx wrote: »
    it seems the judiciary are getting wise to their antics and a few of the solicitor firms get their fingers burned regularly, so much so that one of them is known as a "you`ve been GLADSTONED" and others like BW LEGAL dont fare well either

One hopes that legislation is overhauled and made more fair on this ASAP. Perhaps the fact that the various authorities are already tiring of it will help in this regard. In any case, your feedback is appreciated, as ever, Redx.
  • Redx
    I doubt that there will be any "legislation" in these matters but certainly we expect that government departments will issue edicts and maybe strengthen existing edicts and rules etc
  • Parky2017
    Redx wrote: »
    I doubt that there will be any "legislation" in these matters but certainly we expect that government departments will issue edicts and maybe strengthen existing edicts and rules etc

That has to happen, at the very least. I see this industry as just as despicable and unsophisticated as Victorian bakers, who used to put chalk into their bread mix, instead of flour.
  • Parky2017
    Update:
    I received today a very courteous, professional, supportive and prompt voicemail from the office of Steve Double MP, in response to my letter. Considering that I only posted the letter yesterday, and that his office is presumably swamped with such correspondence about PPCs, I was very impressed to have received an acknowledgement, and his full support. It was suggested that I should contact his office again should my appeal fail (and subject to his re-election to Parliament in June of course).
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    Isn't it good that a General Election can so concentrate minds.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport