Green Deal MSE Guide Discussion

Comments

• WE have made some progress since my first posting a couple of months ago abut the difficulties of finding providers in the West Midlands. We ended up with only one who responded to our enquiry; they came and surveyed and then provided very confusing quotes - five or six for three jobs - but that was the correct documentation for our application on 17 March.

After about three weeks the voucher arrived and we re-started discussion with that provider. But I'm no less confused about the whole thing and am now struggling on talking with neighbours about what they think of the works (mainly external insulation of a very large blank wall and photovoltaic panels on two roofs) and trying to find out from the Council whether or not we need to apply for planning permission.

We have absolutely NO idea how good that one provider is and how accurate their quotations are, but we see no alternative to going ahead and hoping it's all worth while - or dropping out and losing the £150 survey fee.

Green deal sounds great on paper - but none of the firms involved seem to have read the paper....

Cheers, all - thanks for the chance to get this off my chest - Eric
  • lestergun
    lestergun Posts: 119 Forumite
    Hi,

Is the Green Deal scheme a loan? I thought it was not and am finding conflicting info' online.

I thought I'd pay for some home improvement (e.g. double glazing) and then the government would pay some of the cost. Now I think that I pay all the cost, the government pays me some of the cost and then I pay the government back via savings made on my heating costs.

Is this correct?
  • EricDeeson
    EricDeeson Posts: 51 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As I understand it, there are some works you pay for and then get some refund; others for which you can have a cheap loan (though all loans are cheap nowadays); and some where you make savings on your bills to pay for the work or part of it.

I've not found a website which explains all this clearly, including any of the government's ones....

Good luck! Eric
  • lestergun
    lestergun Posts: 119 Forumite
    Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info'.

Ben
  • Is anyone else still waiting for a decision from the HIF?
    I submitted my application on March 18th, was told 2 weeks ago that it would take 21 working days which, expired last week friday. Calling yesterday, they were extremely unhelpful and could not tell me whether it would be a matter of weeks or days. I'm not sure how much longer to wait.

I'm in the situation where I'm desparately in need of getting the work done, and am not really sure whether it is worth my while waiting for the voucher anyway.
    It seems that the installer I found subcontracts the work to someone who again subcontracts the work out so I think I will end up losing any savings in the profit chain.

Confused as to what to do.
  • EricDeeson, would you be able to let me know who the installer you found in the W. Mids was?
    Do you feel their price is reasonable?
    I am also in the W. Mids and only found 1 installer to give me a price.
  • darrenj1
    darrenj1 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    alanap wrote: »
    Is anyone else still waiting for a decision from the HIF?
    I submitted my application on March 18th, was told 2 weeks ago that it would take 21 working days which, expired last week friday. Calling yesterday, they were extremely unhelpful and could not tell me whether it would be a matter of weeks or days. I'm not sure how much longer to wait.

I'm in the situation where I'm desparately in need of getting the work done, and am not really sure whether it is worth my while waiting for the voucher anyway.
    It seems that the installer I found subcontracts the work to someone who again subcontracts the work out so I think I will end up losing any savings in the profit chain.

Confused as to what to do.

Presume you are sorted now, but this week, I submitted an application and got the voucher on the same day!

I was surprised.
  • EricDeeson
    EricDeeson Posts: 51 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The whole thing is very dodgy, with aspects I've noted in this thread earlier.

Specifically, I wish I could help - I got a voucher but can't use it as the neighbours were unhappy at our pan for external wall insulation.... But it's not transferable, alas!

Best of luck - Eric
  • [FONT=&quot]Be aware that the green deal is coming to an end so make sure you don't fall into the trap of bogus companies who attempt to get payments for assessment but are not really authorized to do work under the green deal anymore. I have has a bad experience with EPC Green Ltd of 2 Wilson St, Derby DE1 1PG who did not give me any pre-contract information and they did not allow for a call-off period. According to the energy saving advice service ESAS they are not authorized to replace boilers and heating system under the green deal. The green deal is coming to an end and they have started trading only this year!!. They have been filed to the Trading Standard for further investigation and legal actions are being taken for a miss-sold product. In the mean time Avoid, Avoid and avoid them and any other similar entities!. If you want to contact for more information just email: ikalaj@yahoo.co.uk.[/FONT]
  • Alas, this isn't at all surprising - this whole business seems to be littered with scam potential, partly because of what seems to be the poor organisation of the scheme and the website by the Govt. Interestingly I didn't come across the firm ikalaj mentions, though I searched a number of times in the late winter for firms offering Green Deal services in the Midlands.
    The sudden loss of Green Deal means I couldn't use my voucher and therefore couldn't have the refund of the assessment etc. (On the other hand we did manage to have solar panels installed with a payback of six years before the subsidy fell markedly.)

Best wishes, everybody - Eric
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport