Opinion on affect of living next to a pub / main road?

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone can help me with some advice I am looking for: where can I find expert opinion on the affect living adjacent to a pub can have on a house value? (or is anyone willing to be that expert opinion?)

I am preparing a case for a Valuation Tribunal and need to find expert opinion to include within the case:
- The VOA have referenced the average house price for our street in 1993. However, our house is adjacent to a noisy pub so any expert opinion I can receive / find on the extent this can reduce a house price would be very useful so I can show the distance we may have been below that average in 1993.
- We also live 2 metres from a main road, whereas all other houses are set much further back. Any expert opinion on the extent (%) living on a main road can bring down a house price would also be very gratefully received.

I will build this expert opinion into my case, along with other points we shall be addressing. It would be a massive help, particularly in taking on one of the VOA's major reasons for declining the original appeal.

Any help gratefully received

Thanks

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The only expert opinion you would get would be from a surveyor or estate agent. You would need them to either put this in writing and/or appear at the tribunal hearing, both of which would cost you. Bear in mind opinion is opinion, unless the expert produces evidence to prove their claim, it may not carry much weight.

Trying to find a percentage difference for living a few metres nearer a main road would be nigh on impossible.

CT bands are based 1991 values, not 1993. Have you established whereabouts in the band, the value of your house lies.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Can you tell from the selling price of your house and others further away from the pub and road?
  • Cofty
    Cofty Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi Lincroft1710

I absolutely agree regarding who to source that expert opinion from. I was wondering if anyone in this forum could help with that - for example, any articles on the matter (I already have references from expert opinion in a Times and a Daily Mail article from leading estate agents - I need more to help contribute to my case), and estate agents or surveyors who are members of this forum who could provide me with their opinion that I could reference, etc.

Opinion would definitely help. Alone it wouldn't be enough, but with other evidence I am building it adds to a credible picture and argument, but getting this expert opinion is an important part of my case. Don't forget, VOA is likely to have conducted a basic / minimal investigation to come to their conclusion, so my aim is completely over-shadow that with refuting evidence from multiple angles.

I'm aware of CT bands being up until 1991, but part of the VOA's argument was to reference the sale price of similarly charaterised properties on the street in that year (I guess because they couldn't find, or didn't have the time to find, examples from 1991 and before). So part of my case will be to example apples with apples.

We'll all Davids and we all love to take on the Goliaths...
  • Cofty
    Cofty Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi JimmyTheWig.
    No I can't at the moment - that's something I am currently looking into and all notable differences will be brought into my case. I'm already aware of a few similar properties in lower bands, and some of differing values in differing bands, but need to put that all together coherently. Knowing what difference being next to the pub and close to the main road (which the other properties are not), can help build a positive case for me when comparing with those other houses.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    If you are looking for 1991 prices, it may be worth asking if there is a newspaper archive at your local library. That's where I got my info from. It may be on microfilm.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Cofty wrote: »
    Hi Lincroft1710

I absolutely agree regarding who to source that expert opinion from. I was wondering if anyone in this forum could help with that - for example, any articles on the matter (I already have references from expert opinion in a Times and a Daily Mail article from leading estate agents - I need more to help contribute to my case), and estate agents or surveyors who are members of this forum who could provide me with their opinion that I could reference, etc.

Opinion would definitely help. Alone it wouldn't be enough, but with other evidence I am building it adds to a credible picture and argument, but getting this expert opinion is an important part of my case. Don't forget, VOA is likely to have conducted a basic / minimal investigation to come to their conclusion, so my aim is completely over-shadow that with refuting evidence from multiple angles.

I'm aware of CT bands being up until 1991, but part of the VOA's argument was to reference the sale price of similarly charaterised properties on the street in that year (I guess because they couldn't find, or didn't have the time to find, examples from 1991 and before). So part of my case will be to example apples with apples.

We'll all Davids and we all love to take on the Goliaths...

I'm not a David, I'm a Goliath! Well I was, I'm ex VOA.

Press articles carry very little weight at VT, especially as any "facts" cannot be verified. It is quite easy to rubbish and pick holes in press articles, I've done it myself at VT.

You haven't stated what band you're in, and as I said in my previous post, it will depend whereabouts in the band whether a reduction would be likely. If your home is in Band C and 1991 value is £65K then pub has got to devalue it by 20% to make a difference.

Being next to a pub will probably have a lower percentage effect on a lower price dwelling, than on a 4 bed detached. If you have a record of disturbances, noise levels etc, these will help your case much more than unverifiable opinion and press articles.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Cofty wrote: »
    I need more to help contribute to my case), and estate agents or surveyors who are members of this forum who could provide me with their opinion that I could reference, etc
    Referencing "expert" opinion from an internet forum whose users are anonymous will provide no help to your case whatsoever, I'm afraid.
  • vivatifosi
    I won my case using newspaper clippings linford. The tribunal said that I had lots of relevant comparables and accepted that houses were not going above the asking price. The real clincher though was that the garages were not in the curtilage. That and the pricing evidence combined. Apologies fir the deviation cofty.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • vivatifosi
    Referencing "expert" opinion from an internet forum whose users are anonymous will provide no help to your case whatsoever, I'm afraid.

Seriously? Look back through the years of posts on here and you'll see that linford has loads of testimonials for helping people. Just as CIS knows all about getting help with local govt aspects of council tax.

There are plenty of people who give up their time to help people in the area that they work on, be it choosing a heating system, buying a,cruise, dealing with council tax or something else. It's one of the things that make these fora so important in helping people.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    Seriously? Look back through the years of posts on here and you'll see that linford has loads of testimonials for helping people. Just as CIS knows all about getting help with local govt aspects of council tax.
    Did you read the post I was responding to? The OP wants to take information posted here into a Valuation Tribunal. Of course the posters here are helpful, but they can't be expected to provide additional written expert opinion or actually appear!
    That was my only point.

You say you won your case based on newspaper clippings, but I sincerely doubt a screen shot of a discussion forum would carry any weight..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure