PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• shezza
    shezza Posts: 127 Forumite
    Good evening everyone. I have had a NSD today (horray :j), I have updated my spends for this month in my signature, I have to say I am quite impressed with my spending, being part of this challenge has really made me pull the reins in :rotfl:.

Thought I'd share this site with you all, I get the UKTV food newsletter and it had a link to 50 thrifty recipes, and they don't look to bad. The link is:

http://uktv.co.uk/food/stepbystep/aid/603779/fromNewsletter/295

I hope this works as I have never posted a link before
  • *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Just had fish and chips from the chippy for tea. Had to take one of the cats to the Vet for his boosters. Had to wait half an hour to see the vet, then we got the one who can talk for England so it took another half an hour for him to weigh, jab and worm the cat! So didn't get home til 7:30, by which time it was too late to start the pasta bake I had planned and I hadn't lifted anything else out of the freezer.

It's the first takeaway we've had for a while and I'm actually a bit disappointed to have deviated from the meal plan :(
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    debbiemc wrote: »
    Hi everyone :wave:

Newbie here, just wanted to stop in and say hello, will be joining in with the August grocery challenge and will post to that effect when I get back from my holidays! :)

Debbie

welcome.gif
    Welcome to Debbie and every one else I missed
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• fertyskids
    fertyskids Posts: 138 Forumite
    Hi herbaholic,

thanks i think your right i think its the turnip!!

what do i do with it?

thanks

karen
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Oh dear, another £12 spent today, this healthy eating lark can cost a fortune. This was on peppers and aubergines from the local chinese supermarket and a big tub of pesto as well as a nice fruit and nut mix from Holland and Barrett. I have a feeling sticking to the £130 budget is going to be tough this month considering that's £111 gone already....
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just been to Tesco's for a whoopsie/BOGOF/value hunt.
    Got some Hovis thick white reduced to 62p and had a 35p off voucher from Bounty so got it for 27p!- will use tomorrow and the next day. Got 4 Hovis scones for 15p, 4 Tesco Burger buns for 22p gone in the freezer. BOGOF bacon, one pack in the freezer, organic toms reduced to 47p from £1.50 odd, 3 organic peppers for 80p (was planning a pepper salad tomorrow so will use some then and cut/freeze the rest) and also some more value stuff/flour etc. Also got some Felix as its £2.50 for the 6 can pack just now. Had a £5 off £30 voucher- so with this and BOGOFS £35.83 worth of goods for £25.94 (4 bags worth incl many reduced originally higher price things, value stuff). Well pleased :D .
    Still got £37 or so for 15 days so that is not too bad, enough for milk, any misc bits and a bit for any more whoopsies.
    x
    :wave:
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    fertyskids wrote: »
    Hi herbaholic,

thanks i think your right i think its the turnip!!

what do i do with it?

thanks

karen

did I miss something about a turnip
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Had to go to B&Q to return some wallpaper (it was closed early grrr!) and blockbuster to return some films so I went to Asda while I was there. Good going on the whoopsie hunt. £7.57 spent and got 3 packs chicken wings, 1 1.5kg joint of somerset lamb, 2 different types of ready prepped potatoes, 2 packs of courgettes, organic sweetcorn on the cob, 2 packs plums, 1 huge steak and a packet of 4 fresh cooked sausage rolls.
    I couldn't resist taking back the label to see how much the lamb should have been- £18.00 originally. Frightening really.
    Sig duly updated. Payday on the 22nd so I ought to come in on budget.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • jediteacher
    jediteacher Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    I had a triumph in the kitchen today.

For dinner today I made from scratch toad in the hole. :j Now I know there are some excellent cooks on here but I'm not one of them - I'm worse than a beginner really! The family really enjoyed it and DH has said that it tasted much better than his dad's! :beer:
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi Moniker
    I sell on Amazon Marketplace and have had no problems - have been doing it for over a year on and off - you can make quite good money!
    Hi All,
    I have only just joined MSE so have been scouring the threads/challenges to see whats happening - i like the sound of the grocery challenge - I live on benefits so money is tight as I am here to get help and advice with debts!!
    I already budget quite well but could probably cut it back a bit more - My problem is I am useless at cooking - no imagination and no knowledge!! I am way over the hill so feel bad at not being able to make even basic things! I am also diabetic, have a muscle disease and have to take steroids so have put on weight I dont like!!! I am hoping the grocery challenge will help me in all sorts of ways!!
    Do you think I should wait now until July to join you all??
    All help VERY GRATEFULLY received!!!!!!!!
    TF xxxxxxx

Thanks TF for the useful info - and welcome. We're a friendly bunch and there's loads of useful recipes and tips on here. If you look at the beginning of the thread you will see where Angelnikki has collected all the recipes together. I would advise just collecting your receipts for the first month so you can see what you are actually spending, then set yourself a budget of say 10% under to start with and join in then. Most people find making a meal plan and shopping from that helpful, but whether you do it weekly, fortnightly or monthly is up to you. The main thing to remember is that it isn't a competition with anyone else but yourself - we are all different and have different needs and responsiblities as well as different budgets. And ask away - there will always be someone who can answer a question and asking may help someone else.

HTH

Moniker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family