Lease

Axon75
Axon75 Posts: 94 Forumite
edited 28 November 2015 at 1:04AM in Motoring
hello! I wonder if it is cheaper to get a car lease. Can you advise me please?
Can you tell me please do they include insurance, maintenance, tax, road assistance in the price?
Is there a lengthy contract that I need to commit to?

Comments

150940 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Cheaper than what? The van you're after.
  • Axon75
    150940 wrote: »
    Cheaper than what? The van you're after.

answer to the question
    serious answers only
  • Axon75 wrote: »
    hello! I wonder if it is cheaper to get a car lease. Can you advise me please?
    Can you tell me please do they include insurance, maintenance, tax, road assistance in the price?
    Cheaper than what?
    No, sometimes, yes, depends, yes.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,581 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Axon75 wrote: »

Yes.

reply too short so I guess it depends how long you think a piece of string is.

I doubt you'll find a lease cheaper than a £500 banger
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Axon75
    Is it possible to have a car for less than £100 per month, that includes maintenance, insurance, road tax?

What kind of prices could I expect for this?

I am looking for the cheapest option!

I now pay each year:
    £600 insurance
    £110 road tax
    £50 MOT
    £120 for service
    not to mention the tyres I had to change etc
    So I pay at least £1000 for the car each year, apart from the fuel.

Is there a lease that can reduce my costs?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is it possible to have a car for less than £100 per month, that includes maintenance, insurance, road tax?

I now pay each year:
    £600 insurance
    £110 road tax
    £50 MOT
    £120 for service

A standard lease will remove the road tax and the £50 MOT.

However you'll generally still have maintenance costs, unless its a fully maintained and therefore more expensive lease.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,994 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    why not read this - will tell you more in 5 minutes than multiple posts on here - http://www.intelligentcarleasing.com/a-guide-to-personal-contract-hire
    There are plenty of lease deals for under £100 per month, but it's not as simple as that - for a start insurance isn't included. Or maintenance - unless you pay extra.

To be fair, how would we know? At a guess somewhere between £75 and £2,500 a month.
    Go for the cheapest car possible then - something like a C1, and drive no more than 3,000 miles a year.
    I now pay each year:
    £600 insurance
    £110 road tax
    £50 MOT
    £120 for service

No. You've missed the point of leasing.

Firstly - you'll still need to insure your car - so that's got you down to £400 a year.
    You won't save £120 on servicing - because you'll not only need to get it serviced, big Dave at number 43 and his box of spanners won't do. So that'll be £220 at the main dealer please.

And what if you prang it - or someone else prangs it? Those electrically heated door mirrors with metallic paint could be £800 to replace. You will be responsible for all of the 15-20-30,000 of the car's cost, not just the £99 a month you're paying out.

To put it another way. Leasing is a cheap way... to run a new car. It's not necessarily cheap motoring... for those that would otherwise not be able to afford to run a new car, because you're still running a new car. That is a subtle but important difference.
  • Axon75
    So you assure me there is NO lease including service and insurance? Ie. including EVERYTHING?

Or there ARE such leases? How can I find the CHEAPEST one?
    So you assure me there is NO lease including service and insurance? Ie. including EVERYTHING?

Or there ARE such leases? How can I find the CHEAPEST one?
    Yes, it's called daily rental, but I don't think that's what you're asking for.

With a car, you can work out the cost over 24 or 36 or 48 months for whatever mileage, and you will pay £100 per month, I will pay £100 per month and John round the corner will pay £100.

My car insurance is £125 a year. You say yours is £600. John, who after getting his licence back after the TWOC, drink-driving and multiple counts of driving whilst disqualified pays £8,000 a year. Furthermore, you cannot tell me with any certainty what your insurance will be in 12 months time. That's very hard to put a figure on, which means risk, which means underwriting, which means money.

So - to answer your question more fully, there are schemes out there but they are not money saving, and you're not he target market for them.

There are personal schemes like just add fuel where insurance is included. But you will also end up paying the same for a 108 as you could lease an E class for - as someone on here found out recently.

There are also business schemes offering long-term rentals where everything is included - but that's aimed at bridging whilst you're waiting for your company car order to be delivered or for example where an employee needs transport for a flexible period of time and the £600 a month plus VAT isn't a big deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure