Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Comments

• wealdroam wrote: »
    The only return ticket available between Yeovil Junction and Exeter Central or St Davids is an Off Peak Return at £22.50 (£14.85 with railcard).
    The first train that that can be used on is the 09:40 departure.
    So the man at the station was right... just not very good at explaining it.

It seems that you have a 16-25 railcard.
    There is a minimum fare of £12 before 10am with that, which explains the price you paid.
    If you come back after 10am, the single fare will be £10.10.

Easy isn't it? ;)

p.s. the guy at the ticket office will only give you a receipt if you ask for one.
    OK, thanks =) It just really really confused me cos last time I got that train I had to buy the ticket on the train, and the train guard gave me the return...Looks like I'm gonna have to get more organised and actually prebook my tickets...
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sephi wrote: »
    Looks like I'm gonna have to get more organised and actually prebook my tickets...
    There are no bargains for that trip.

Booking in advance will not help.

The only way to save is to depart on the 09:40 train or later when a return will be £14.85 with railcard.
  • BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    BeenieCat, is this for your Darlington to Edinburgh trip, if it is have a look at this Link

Hi sorry i didn't realise i had a reply :o

Thanks for that link! I've finally bought the tickets but very annoyed with myself because now i've had to pay £41 instead of the £27 you found for me :( Serves me right for leaving it so long :mad: :(
  • Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else would have any luck finding me some cheap tickets? I've tried, but am only saving about £2!

For a return journey for 2 from Liverpool to Hayle starting around 2pm on 23/12 and the return journey starting around 10am on 28/12 it costs £268.40. So I'm after a bit of saving on that :)

Thanks in advance for looking.
  • wealdroam
    Forumite
    Lou1202 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else would have any luck finding me some cheap tickets? I've tried, but am only saving about £2!

For a return journey for 2 from Liverpool to Hayle starting around 2pm on 23/12 and the return journey starting around 10am on 28/12 it costs £268.40. So I'm after a bit of saving on that :)

With very little effort I can see how you can save £62.40.

23Dec, dep Liverpool LS 09:04, arr Hayle 16:55. Advance Single = £51.50 each.
    28Dec, dep Hayle 13:05, arr Liverpool LS 20:53. Advance Single = £51.50 each.

Info from East Coast Trains.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,672
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi all,

how flexible are you prepared to be in terms of departure dates / times ?
  • 21Twinkle wrote: »
    I forked over £100 on two rail tickets to London on Thursday - booked with Trainline.com on line - I ticked the reserve seats box as I am disabled and couldn't stand for 5 minutes let alone the 2 1/2 hours that the journey takes.....

Book your tickets through one of the train company websites then contact the Assisted Travel service of the departure train company and they can help with changing seat reservations to a more accessible seat near the luggage racks or toilet if this would be helpful. They can also arrange for you to be met and helped with luggage at any intermediate stations.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • wealdroam wrote: »
    With very little effort I can see how you can save £62.40.

23Dec, dep Liverpool LS 09:04, arr Hayle 16:55. Advance Single = £51.50 each.
    28Dec, dep Hayle 13:05, arr Liverpool LS 20:53. Advance Single = £51.50 each.

Thanks for that, that's one site I didn't try. And I didn't think of straight singles either. I've tried splitting the journey at Birmingham and Plymouth, so ending up with 6 singles, but there was always 1 part of the journey that was silly price.
    p00hsticks wrote:
    how flexible are you prepared to be in terms of departure dates / times ?

We are both off work from the 23rd Dec til the 28th, but time wise we're pretty flexible. (I actually made an error, I meant to put 22/12 at about 2pm - because we could take another half day on that day, so I was hoping to save a full days travel. But if it saves us a bit of money I don't mind too much!
  • wealdroam
    Forumite
    Thanks for that, that's one site I didn't try. And I didn't think of straight singles either. I've tried splitting the journey at Birmingham and Plymouth, so ending up with 6 singles, but there was always 1 part of the journey that was silly price.
    All the train companies' websites should sell those tickets... even at your local station.

Book them soon as cheap travel around Christmas will sell out quickly.
  • Hi. I literally just registered after looking at this site for a good couple of years. I'd massively appreciate if any of you guys and/or gals could help me.

Next friday (Nov 5th) my younger brother is coming home from his uni in Cardiff for a week (his first year so he misses us all badly and really wants to come home for a bit when he can).

The difference here is I want to go see him for the day just for a day out and then come back with him late that night.

The journey is: 1) Hemel Hempstead - Cardiff Central (Fri Nov 5th - depart Hemel after 10am)
    2) Cardiff Central - Hemel Hempstead (Same day - Arrive back in Hemel before 00.30)

I need the very cheapest tickets possible. I did find £13.50 tickets a week or two ago when just browsing but can't find them anymore. I'd be perfectly happy spending £13.50 each way, but can't find a way of doing it now. I've tried all the train sites Martin suggests.

So yeah, if any of you are able to find anything that i can't with your special powers i'd be eternally grateful. Thanks in advance to anyone who uses their time trying to help :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure