PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

To dye or not to dye - that is the question.

Comments

• wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Once dyed there would be nothing you could do to make it white again.

How about buying a packet of beads and sewing them round the neckline? You could remove them later. Match them with a scarf/belt worn round the ribs, and the overall effect won't be white at all. You wouldn't have to do anything intricate with the beads, just buy biggish ones (or pearl buttons?). If you have time, Ebay is the best source, as sewing departments can be expensive.
  • Before I became a full time mum I was a Dyer. And I would say absolutely DO NOT attempt to dye polyester at home. Polyester is dyed in pressurised high temperature machines which you cannot simulate at home. At best you will be able to stain the dress a different colour. At worst you could ruin it completely. As it is a favourite I suggest it is safer to leave it alone.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times and I'll smash your face in. :D
  • I concur with the advice already posted. Obviously you wouldn't attend a wedding as a guest in a pure white outfit, but you could add some different coloured trim which could later be removed, and a belt to match. You can get cloth flower brooches which would look good with a belt in a matching colour. If you could show us a photo of the dress, maybe we could come up with more specific suggestions as to how to customise it cheaply and reversibly.
    Alternatively, check eBay and your local charity shops to see if you can find a new outfit which would be suitable instead.
  • ally1974
    ally1974 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Many thanks for all your replies. It does look too much like a wedding dress itself, although finishes just below the knee so not a 'formal' one but definitely too much to be able to wear alone. I like the ideas of dressing it up by sewing interesting bits'n'bobs on and will have a good look around in the local charity shops but will not be dying it. I don't want to spoil it just so I can save some money! Thanks again!
    :hello:
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ditto earlier poster. Please dont wear white to a wedding unless you are the bride.
    I would go with wearing a big wide belt - very 'now' and as you are skinny you can get away with it;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Sarahsaver wrote:
    Ditto earlier poster. Please dont wear white to a wedding unless you are the bride.
    I would go with wearing a big wide belt - very 'now' and as you are skinny you can get away with it;)
    Good idea - I saw some lovely wide soft red ones in a shop somewhere, think it was TK Maxx, for £3. One of those with some more red accessories (beads, hat or a red scarf tied round a plain straw hat, red bag, etc) would look great.
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    "But Anita, white is for babies. Couldn't we dye it red?"
    But that red sash makes all the difference. (Couldn't find a piccie from the film version like I was looking for, well I could but only in black and white which rather looses the point.)
  • A lady at work's daughter got married a few months back. The the mother of the bride wore black and white.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hello All,
    need a bit of help. I have an old cream cord coat (for winter). Trying to be really good and not splurge money. Rather than buy a new winter coat I thought I could spruce up my cream one. Its a few years old now so its a little grey rather than cream but still lovely on. I found nice leather covered buttons. I was thinking about dye-ing the coat a coffee colour as I have Dylon cold dye. Has any tried this? Any tips or suggestions? I don't want to ruin my coat.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • gooismeid
    gooismeid Posts: 283 Forumite
    You need to check what kind of fabric your coat's made from. If it's cotton or a majority cotton mix, then there should be no problem in dyeing it. However, usually the lining in a coat is polyester which doesn't accept dye as well as natural fibres, so it might look a bit patchy. If you're really serious about this, I'd suggest taking a small square from the inside hem of your coat and doing a dye test with it. Then if it doesn't look good you can just sew the square back in and you've still got your coat even if it looks a bit old.
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure