Claiming on Ikea guarantee - advice please.

Comments

• TKPeters
    TKPeters Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    Just had the same happen to us, whilst my son was in the bath, destroying the sink & bath.

Why has there been no recall by IKEA?
  • I was surprised to see this old thread of mine pop-up today, apologies for not updating further at the time.

I bought Abtrakt kitchen doors to fit on the cabinets, the width was perfect but a small trim was needed to fill the height. I had to buy a new toilet so decided to buy the matching sink too. Also then had to replace the flooring to fit the new sanitary wear. I got a payment from Ikea but it did not cover the full cost of the work. I accept it was my choice to want my sink and toilet to match but I would not have changed them if they had not been damaged.

I am shocked this has happened to other people. At the time it really scared me thinking that if anyone had been sat on the toilet at the time they could have been killed. I am not being a drama queen saying this - the door was heavy and presumably would have twisted as it fell, ripping out the bottom hinge. If the edge or corner of the door hit your head......<shudders>

It is such a shame as I loved these cabinets. The storage is amazing and they looked very smart.
  • TKPeters
    edited 18 June 2015 at 10:30PM
    Found out on another forum they've changed the door design to a thicker door, most likely with bolts in the hinges.

Why has IKEA never issued a recall, as they offered to replace the cabinet [No Thanks], I'm now getting worried about other IKEA products in the house, as the bedrooms are like an IKEA Showroom.

Here is the images of the damage to the bathroom; https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153359512338618.1073741830.788393617&type=1&l=2d4bdb76d0
  • That is awful.

These cabinets should have been recalled. It is a miracle no one has been injured by a falling door.

Have you spoken to Ikea?
  • TKPeters
    It missed my 5 year son by inches, luckily he was the other end of the bath, when it came crashing down within seconds, as my wife had just turned around to get him a towel.

Called IKEA & they told me they where aware of the issue & someone from ECOMASTER is visiting us tomorrow to inspect the damage.

They should be recalled, as they obviously have known about the issue for over 4 years.
  • Cash_Cow
    Cash_Cow Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I heard screaming from the bathroom this morning and my 11 year old daughter was hanging on to this collapsed mirror tha t was left in place by only one screw. Both the top and bottom hinges had come off as the glue had given way. I am horrified by what could have happened as it would have caused carnage had it had hit the sink underneath. She could have been blinded or worse.

I have informed Ikea who will issue a 'safety alert'.

I'd appreciate any updates here as I want this thing out of my house and away from my kids now.

So shocked. Glue...
  • TKPeters
    edited 20 June 2015 at 7:21PM
    IKEA had sent their inspector from EcoMaster with his iPad, to take more photo's & compile a report of the damage caused by the mirror.

As IKEA do not supply bathrooms, we now have to obtain 2 x quotes to get the damage repaired, including the kitchen ceiling which has been damaged by the water from the bath.

Regarding a recall, IKEA have stated that the issue is related to the age of the product & Humidity, although its a Bathroom Cabinet.
  • My cabinet door failed when just over a year old so I do not accept the age of the product as a factor. They were guaranteed for ten years anyway.

I hope that Ikea recalls these cabinets before someone gets injured or killed by a falling door. For anyone reading this who thinks I am being a drama queen, honestly these doors are very heavy.
  • Cash_Cow
    That is definitely not histrionics - these doors are seriously heavy and will shatter and be very sharp. Just the weight of it falling from 2 foot onto a leg would do serious damage.

This is going to be a right pain as we aso have the fitted light at the top and it works well and we painted around it etc. I really expect better of a multinational big company.
  • Cash_Cow
    Getting nowhere with them - just offering a pickup and refund IF I can find a b receipt from 3 years ago. They cant even search the Ikea Family Card record to find the sale - useless. Really need to escalate this as its not even about a refund - its about avoiding serious injury/death.

Can anyone advise a next course of action please as the item hasn't been improved or fixed. It remains potentially lethal and it remains on sale.

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure