MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you keep a mistaken 'double refund'?

Options

Comments

• JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would have to tell them of the mistake. I would feel hugely guilty if I didn't. It is just too much money to shrug off.
  • rdsoftware
    Options
    For me it really depends on the shop in question. If it was somewhere like Tesco I'd keep the exta cash, figuring that it was some cashback out of all the profit they had made out of me previously. If it was a smallish local shop I'd definitely go back and tell them.
  • TheBaldwins
    Options
    If it was a small company I would definetly hand it back as it's really important to support small businesses. However, if it was a big corporate then forget it. With all their over charging and undercharging the tills will probably ring up even anyway!
    Money saving is addictive... get help and join MSE!
  • mitchellrw
    Options
    I believe what the shop had done was in fact give you the refund you are actually entitled to.

As I understand the law, if you are sold something and it is faulty, you are entitled to be put back into the position you would have been in had it not been faulty.

I.e. you are entitled to a refund based upon the cost of replacing the faulty item and, since the only way this could be done is to buy the same or an equivalent item at normal prices, a refund of the full pre-sale value would be correct.

Therefore there is no moral dilemma in this case - keep the money!:beer:
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't give it back. The dress was worth £140 according to the shop. They are just giving you back what they think it is worth.
  • runmichellerun
    Options
    Probably shouldn't admit this on here, but I probably wouldn't notice on that day as I never check receipts. I would only notice when I checked my online banking a couple of days later and by then I assume it would be too late...
    LBM February 2008. DFD March 2013 19 August 2011
    Debt at LBM £14,395.48. Debt Now £0
  • spora
    spora Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Options
    If it was a small company then i would. About a year ago i went to a small hairdresser's and when i went to pay i didnt have any change, just notes. I think it came to about £23 so i gave the woman £30 and she said they dont have any change atm so she said she would just take the £20. I felt bad because i thought the £3 would probably come out of her pocket, plus i wanted to give her a tip (but not £7). I only lived about a 5 min walk away so i went home got some money and went back to the hairdressers and gave her £5.

In a big chain shop though i wouldnt bother. Mainly due to lazyness. I cant be bothered to go back to the shop because of their mistake
  • tabitha71
    Options
    No Never!!!! Unless it was a small local shop. I would normally notice at the time I always check carefully any amounts when entering my pin or signing a refund slip! When you are as skint as me every penny counts, and I would have thought I'd won the lottery if it happened to me!!!!!!!!:j
  • Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like the above poster -

Big chain store/supermarket - wayhay what a good do!

Small independent retailer - no.
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • AbbevilleBoy
    Options
    Privately owned shop that I particularly like, no. High street chain, yup -thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure