Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for the budgeting advice sugarbaby. It's very timely both for now and especially for the new year. We'll be having nice food over the Christmas period but definitely not going mad. I'm always amazed at the massive trolleys full that I see people with in the supermarket. I know some will have a large number of visitors but I'm sure others buy (and eat) far too much. One thing I can't live with is waste so I'll be doing my list very carefully.

I don't want to put on loads of weight over Christmas so I'm really prioritising the treats I have, no mindless snacking. On my list of treats (that I avoid most of the year) is a bar of chocolate marzipan, some cherry liqueurs, some cheese, crisps and some extra bread (I just love a turkey sandwich on Christmas night:drool:).

I was out last night at a monthly art appreciation class I've been attending. Seasonally, it was about the paintings of Frost Fairs that used to be held on the Thames. There was wine and a mince pie afterwards but I skipped those.;) The group meets at the university which is in walking distance of my home so I needed to wrap up warm. I wore my taffeta skirt again with a black jumper and cardigan and this time with knee high boots. Topped off with my long black wool coat, tartan scarf and gloves I was nice and cosy.

Pleased with my hair from yesterday's appointment. It's a bit shorter at the back but I'll get used to that.

It's very cold here today but really bright and sunny. I have a few errands to run. One is to get a Christmas tree before all the nice ones go. We've had a real one for years but I'm dithering about whether to go for fake this year. Undecided??:)
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hello lovely ladies,

Hope you are all warm and snug wherever you are. It's bright but so cold here and with temperatures forecasted to not get above freezing I have made the decision to have a day at home. Lulu is on part livery so the yard will make sure she is fed and happy, it's too dangerous to ride anyway with all the ice around so aim to just 'potter'.
    So far I have cleared the pile of ironing, changed the bed, hoovered downstairs and cleaned the downstairs loo, am now sitting in a warm, steamy kitchen whilst a pan of bendy veg soup gently simmers on the hob, so cosy :D
    Think once lunch is finished I will indulge myself with an afternoon in the sofa catching up on my programmes and enjoying my book, it was an early festive treat to myself, Nigel Slaters Christmas Chronicles and I can heartily recommend it. I am a big fan of his anyway, always enjoy his more laid back approach to cooking and that really shines through the pages, there are lots of yummy recipes and lovely festive hints & tips.

Sugarbaby thank you for your post re getting the best deals for food shopping, I have also noticed the food bills creeping up over the last few months, especially meat and fish. Rather than compromise on the quality of the protein we are eating I have started making more vegetarian meals, at least two a week, and tend to only have meat at the weekends or occasionally for a midweek treat. That way I can continue buying organic meat, yellow stickered and frozen if necessary. It has also made me think more about the use of spices and flavouring to get the most out of non meat meals.

Did you get your nails done Maman? It's my luxury facial tomorrow with my niece, we are then going out for an evening meal to celebrate youngest stepsons 21st so hopefully I will have a real glow about me :rotfl:

Love to all x
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 December 2017 at 10:29AM
    Hello Ladies,

I went to see the film The Mountain Between Us at my local Odeon cinema, it was a Silver Screen ticket so I only had to pay £3 and I got a free cup of tea worth £1.90. It was a real action film and a real thrill. There were 2 main characters played by Kate Winslet and Idris Elba. It was also a love story, but primarily it was a story of survival.

Later today I went to see a 1940's adaptation of A Christmas Carol in Christmas in Leicester Square. It was set in a radio studio, so it was a real departure from the classic tale in setting and it was great to see all of the sound effects from ordinary household items. I really enjoyed it and it had me chuckling rather than gave me belly laughs. I had a free ticket so another MSE outing for me.

I got to wear my new Marks and Spencer heatgen long sleeved top that I bought from eBay last week. It looks good on, but it kept me really warm. I bought 3 other versions of this long sleeved thermal top in 3 different colours when I got home from eBay as it had worked so well at keeping me warm in this very cold weather. It was LL talking about thermals that made me look for something attractive to wear as another layer, without adding too much bulk to my body.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 14 December 2017 at 11:35AM
    Hello lovely ladies.

Looks like we are going to get a bit of sun today, so hopefully will manage a walk later. I am in a lot of pain. It looks like the vaccines triggered a major fibro/arthritis flare up. The chemist did warn me about about joint pain and muscle ache.....he wasn’t joking!!!

Anyway a massage tomorrow should help and regular salt baths and simple stretches. Going to mix up some aromatherapy oils today. Just need to nurse myself for a few days. On the plus side apart from a Hep A booster next year I shall not need any Vaccines again, no matter where I go. Anyway a few weeks lolling on a sun lounger soaking up the sun and sea air won’t do me any harm.......:rotfl:

My new glasses arrived. Very pleased, especially as they were less than half the price I paid at the optician. If anyone is interested the company are called Glasses Direct.

My calling cards have arrived too, so pretty. I shall be the height of elegance and sophistication. :rotfl: I think I have a nice little card case somewhere, if not I’ll treat myself.

I have booked my hair appt, and an appt with the chiropodist. Just need to arrange the MOT for the car and then I think everything is in hand. Pick up the currencies tomorrow.There’s a lot of planning involved for a 6 week trip..... not just the trip itself but also making sure everything is sorted out for the house.

Chatsworth was lovely, the house was absolutely beautiful this year. I also went to the farm shop and stocked up my freezer with meat from the estate. I really ought to make an effort to shop there more often. The meat is all organic and costs no more than supermarket meat.

I am thinking of joining the NT next year and I am toying with becoming a Friend of Chatsworth too. I think it would be worth it. You soon get your moneys worth and of course you get priority booking and discounts for a lot of the additional events. I definitely intend to get out and about more next year. And of course being a Chatsworth member would mean I get to the farm shop more often.

Some great advice there SUgarbaby about budgeting. I intend to become more thrifty and better organised next year. Food prices are creeping up aren’t they, very noticeable now. I need to be more efficient with my food shopping and meal planning.

I am trying to eat more vegetarian meals these days, as much for health reasons as anything but it can be tricky when I also need to avoid eggs and dairy. I am managing well with my lacto free milk and cheese. It’s definitely made a difference to how I feel.

I am planning to grow more fruit and veg again next year. What with the business with my sister I just didn’t do very well this year, either with diy projects or the garden but I have some nice projects planned for next year. I don’t want to tempt fate but I really am looking forward to 2018, I just have a nice feeling......

What with my trip and then my first grandchild I feel that there’s a lot to look forward to. I have managed to broaden my social circle a bit too and have made some nice new friends this year. I feel it’s all coming together at last.

It’s been a long journey.......;)

Right time to write and post the last few Christmas cards.

Have a fab day.....
  • maman
    Sorry to hear you've reacted to the vaccines LL. Hope you're improving.

I'm going to a Christmas Ball tonight. That's the last of my planned parties and dances before Christmas Eve. I've taken a leaf from sugarbaby's book and layered matching shower gel and body lotion this morning. I've done my hair and defuzzed as I'll be wearing sheer tights. I'm going to wear my Phase Eight CS dress. It's got a good swishy skirt for dancing but not long enough to trip over!:D

Yesterday I had my eyebrows done for the first time since the summer. I've been keeping them tidy myself as I've yet to settle on a beautician since mine gave up her premises due to massively increased rent and business rates.:mad: I went to the Benefit counter at our local Debenhams as I was impressed with the 'brow mapping' they did for me back in September.

Next Wednesday is my DD1's birthday so we're going to the nail shop together and then for a coffee. She doesn't want to go out anywhere as it's a school night for her and we'll catch up again over Christmas.

I did my usual meal plan and food shop yesterday but I'm aiming to go again sometime during the week as I don't want to be battling the crowds next weekend. I'll do the decorations either tomorrow or Monday. We bought a tree earlier in the week. Fortunately last year, I culled the decorations sufficiently that I could store them in the under stairs cupboard so no need to be scrambling up to the loft.

Sorry this post has been a bit self centred. Hope you're all well and that Christmas preparations are in hand without too much stress.:)
  • Hello Ladies,

LL I hope you are not still feeling too ill from the side effects of your vaccines

Maman, I hope you had a great time at your Christmas Ball

I went to see Shaggy at The Indigo 02 and had the most fantastic evening on Thursday. I was standing right at he front and got to take lots of photos and videos of Shaggy. He was awesome. He has talent in abundance. The supporting artists were really good and got the crowd all whipped up ready for Shaggy.I was dancing and singing along all night long. I wore layers of clothes to keep me warm, then slowly peeled each layer off as the heat levels rose in the venue. I had a free ticket, so it was a very MSE evening for me.

On Friday evening I went to see Forever Amy at The Clapham Grand. After dancing my legs off at the Shaggy show the previous night, I found myself aching all over at this event despite taking painkillers, so I left early. I did have a great time though when I was there. I had a free ticket for this show as well.

I went to a show at Battersea Arts Centre on Saturday only to find the show had been cancelled because one of the cast was ill in Hospital.

I went to the Christmas party at the pub on Saturday that I go to regularly. After the last 2 nights out, I had to sit down and dance far more than I wanted to at this party. There was a free buffet so I did not eat my evening meal at home. The food was well cooked and there was lots of it to share and a huge celebration cake. I layered my perfume with the matching body lotion and body powder. I wore bronze/brown eye shadow pencil, black mascara and clear lip gloss. I painted my finger nails with clear nail polish.

I have got my ESA half price Oyster Photo card. With the hopper fares in London, it will save me so much money every time I have to travel on buses in London.

My son is getting his free school meals now as well, so that is a real help financially as well.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sugar I’m getting tired just reading about all of your activities. Pleased you got your Oyster card to help you get out and abou.

Maman I bet you were the belle of the bell.

Ll I love your plans for getting out and about more next year. It’s something I definitely want to do more of.

I posted in my diary that I had some good news - student loans owe me £400 as I have overpaid.

Now for the not so good. We had a leak somewhere in our bathroom and water was leaking into the kitchen. Luckily, we have plumbing and electric protection and someone came within the hour. The bad news is that we had to break the bath panel and cut a hole in the kitchen ceiling to find the leak, both of which will cost money to repair.

Other than that, we are looking forward to Christmas.
  • maman
    Oh dear chanie I was thinking how good it was for you to have a little windfall and then I read about the plumbing disaster! You had good service from the plumber though. Any chance the other damage would be covered by insurance? 😀

Glad you're having a bit of help with your finances Sugarbaby . Good to hear you're getting about and enjoying life too.

I had a great time at the ball, did every dance. I did have complements.The best was someone who admired my dress saying 'It's Phase Eight isn't it? ' I agreed but didn't add that it came from the CS!

Just spent today pottering indoors. I've got to do some shopping tomorrow as it's DD1's birthday on Wednesday and then I need to get the decorations up.

Have a good week all. This time next week it'll be Christmas Day! 😃
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 December 2017 at 3:14PM
    Sounds like you had. Wonderful time, Maman....and how nice to get all those compliments. I have a shocking tendency to squirm a bit when people comment about my cloyhes etc. I always have to blurt out that they were a sale bargain or that I bought them in a charity shop.I think I am going to try and be a bit more like you and just accept the comment gracefully. After all I don’t need to justify my spending to anyone do I.......

Chanie....what rotten luck that your little windfall was swallowed up with domestic issues. C’est le vie and all that.

SUgarbaby....some great night outs there, glad to see your money situation is improving. You’ll get there.

Well Here we are nearly the Solstice and then Christmas.... Before we know we are it will be 2018. I have had to fight feelings of loss and melancholy this last few days, missing my husband dreadfully. I guess it’s just the time of year, not easy for those who are bereaved. Memories of Christmas past and all that.......

Hey ho.....must look forward. With hope and optimism. I’m sure there are happier times ahead......it just takes a little patience and a little faith.

I’ve just booked my car in for it’s MOT so I think I’m pretty well on track for my holiday.

We set sail three weeks yesterday........I’m both excited and a tad apprehensive......although at least this time I do have a travelling companion.

Just hope she can put up with all my little quirks. :rotfl:
  • maman
    That's strange LL, I've never thought to tell anyone that some of my stuff comes from the CS. The person that identified my dress as Phase Eight told me she knew because she had the same dress in another colour. I felt good knowing that it was very unlikely that hers cost just £7!:rotfl:

Sorry to hear you're feeling down. You're right it is the time of the year but it won't be long before we can embark on 2018!:)

I nipped into the city centre earlier. It was busy but not too manic. I had a list and sorted it all out quickly. I've now got all the bits I wanted for DD1's birthday on Wednesday.

I came home and put up the decorations. I've still got the tree to do but I'll need DH's help to bring that in from the garden, probably tomorrow.

My next task is to write my shopping list for Christmas food for later in the week. I've bought some bits and pieces already so it's mainly fresh stuff. I've been disappointed with some of the cheeses available in Lidl and Aldi this year. I don't buy much during the year so maybe it's a change I've just not noticed. I wanted Emmental and Bavarian smoked but they only seem to have slices. maybe it's because everyone eats cheeseburgers!:D

Just think, this time next week we'll all be feeling stuffed after Christmas dinner!:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure