PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord Selling - Viewing confusion

2»

Comments

• AndyTails
    AndyTails Posts: 153 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2017 at 11:23AM
    Comms69 wrote: »
    HE can issue at any point, it's just two calendar months.

No. He can issue at any point, but the notice must expire at the end of a period, and at least two months away. (Not sure "expire" is the right word, but I'm sure you get my meaning.)

So, in the OP's case, anything issued before 31st October would expire 31st December (or 31st Jan, Feb, March etc. if the landlord worded it so); anything issued from 1st to 30th November would expire 31st Jan (or 28th Feb, 31st March etc.).

Note that as the rental period is 1st to 31st, the notice would need to be issued by the 31st, and the day you would have to move out is the 31st. (Not as the OP suggests the 1st for both dates).
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    AndyTails wrote: »
    No. He can issue at any point, but the notice must expire at the end of a period, and at least two months away. (Not sure "expire" is the right word, but I'm sure you get my meaning.) - No, that is not true, and hasn't been for many years now.

So, in the OP's case, anything issued before 31st October would expire 31st December (or 31st Jan, Feb, March etc. if the landlord worded it so); anything issued from 1st to 30th November would expire 31st Jan (or 28th Feb, 31st March etc.).

Seriously, if you're going to contradict something at least check it first.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,594
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There is no statutory 'law' either way on viewings.
    * You do have the right to quiet enjoyment of your home
    * The LL may (read your contract) have a contractual right to viewings.

These can be balanced if there is reasonableness. ie 2 dancing girls coming monthly would impact your quiet enjoyment (litterally) so an unenforceable term. However access for specific purposes (e.g. inspections / tenant viewings / buyer viewings) at reasonable times (e.g. 2 days a week / only daytime hours) and with reasonable notice (e.g. 24 hours) would be reasonable.

Whether the LL can practically enforce this if you change the locks is another story.. he may be able to sue for losses due to you breaching a reasonable term.
  • I'm not sure if anyone likes updates but I thought I'd give one.

The landlord officially served my section 21 on 15th November and gave the date of 31st December as the date he would like me out. We spoke afterwards and he eventually agreed that he would be flexible and so would I on pretty much everything from leaving early, staying on, viewings and any problems arising. We just agreed to keep in touch and let the other know as things came up.

Funnily enough 3 days later I found a place and he stuck true to his word and I'm moving out today with zero penalty. In the two weeks I've been planning the move I've had an estate agent in measuring and taking notes, an electrician to sort some work out and the landlord checking some bits but I've accommodated him as well.

I know I'm lucky in that he's letting me leave early. Technically if I gave him a months notice it would have had to have been yesterday as my rent period runs from 1-31 and I couldn't have afforded two lots of rents this month plus deposit etc so I would have lost the lovely new place I'm moving into. I guess in the end we both ended up with what we wanted, but we were both polite and willing to compromise so it ends happily. Bit of a surprise to me if I'm honest!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 November 2017 at 11:45AM
    I'm not sure if anyone likes updates but I thought I'd give one.

The landlord officially served my section 21 on 15th November and gave the date of 31st December as the date he would like me out.
    Errr.... it's only 1st November today......

Did you mean 15th October?

However I'm glad it worked out for you.

Just to be safe, I would write to him requesting confirmation that you can surrender the tenancy early on xx date.

Otherwise there is a remote chance he could use your premature departure (notice-wise) to deduct rent from your deposit. Sounds like he woouldn't, but for the sake of a letter, or email.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure