iPhone v HTC Desire

Comments

• bubblesmoney
    bubblesmoney Posts: 2,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 July 2010 at 7:09AM
    just like in cars where there are various models and one decides what cars one wants depending on needs and budget, the same applies for phones. one buys a phone available on the market. the buyer bought a phone now with android 1.6, sony were idiotic in releasing a phone now with 1.6 but probably that was what the hardware was capable of as it was cheaper and the buyer wanted a cheaper phone and the look of that model.

the release date of the hero was more than a year ago.

what ever the official twitter app can do other apps can do similar things, so it is not like it wont work. and older models of iphone are still being sold and iOS4 doesnt not work fully on them, all features available on iOS4 wont work properly on them. same with android. there will be apps n itunes too that work on iOS4 and dont work properly on earlier versions.

latest statistics from this week, 2.1 is on 55% of the phones1.6 on the rest and 3-5% on 2.2. fragmentation is an issue for developers. hence from gingerbread i think software updates become over the air directly from google / via the market and not from the manufacturer.

actually handset or os based apps are not the future. it allows handset and OS manufacturer to make money and restrict users. web based apps are the future and google is leading the way and this will hit apple where it hurts. aple wont be able to control what stuff users can use. lack of flash etc to suit commercial needs to apple and their differences with adobe / google, google has worked around that and now into development of web based apps that will be independent of operating system so that developers wont waste time on developing for different systems and googles primary aim is the advertisement market and they just want reach into all phones and operating systems. once web apps takes off apple wont have any hold on what developers make available on web apps and any operating system that accesses the web can use those apps.

i agree fragmentation of the market is an issue but the phone is still pretty usable, even though i am on 2.1 other than apps2sd i am not losing out on much and even that i can get immediately is if i root. additional functionality beyond what even the manufacturer designed or dreamed is the advantage of forums like xda. and that isnt stifled usually like with apple.

when you bought a 1.5 phone you knew what you were buying. does it still do what it did when you bught the phone. was there ever a guarantee that the phone will get every new software update and make it the most recent compatible phone? if it still does what it was sold as and within the guarantee period, then you have no claim. wanting is different from what is right. how many years it is since a android phone launched??? it has come a long way in just a couple of years and smartphones phones have become a lot cheaper with more features in the process and more customers can use them now.

even sony phones division has pulled a profit after some years now and thats after their shift to android. motorola also same story after their full transition to android, so if people didnt buy their phones their companies would not have come out of the red and start making profit instead. motorola top brass said they were in a good position after moving fully to android, this was said in the last week. buyers have a choice and to buy what they want if they are not satisfied. if people do not buy with researching adequately then they have only themselves to blame. the same applies to everything in life, be it a phone or a house or any other consumer product.

me expecting my phone to be able to do what a new dual core phone due to be released in a few months is unrealistic. if software producres like for the android system want to develoop for those newer software then why should they be restricted. as long as my phone works in the waay it was sold, i have no complaints with newer versions coming. would be happy if i could use the newer versions too but if not then tough luck, thats what happens with any technology. or the alternative is to make a law that new phone features are released only at the time of my upgrades and all progress to be outlawed between my upgrades ;) and i dont think that is reasonable outcome for anyone. thats the artificial limit what some people want so that upgrades are available only at the time of their upgrade or their old phone (phone tech gets old every week now with the rate of new tech development, whats new this week is surpassed in a new phone next week) should be upgradable to latest software as per them till they finish their contract. can you even upgrade a netbook to the latest version of windows desktop software???? then why do you expect a phone to always be upgradable to the latest version??? hardware have limitations thats reality.

i find options like sense etc useful cover to android, i have adw launcher (free option like most stuff on android including the hundred apps that i have and a lot more apps that i used and discarded, all were free) too that gives me 7 additional home screen with galaxy s look that i find useful too but prefer sense look, android gives me that choice to use what i want rather than what everyone wants. yes that delays update but a useful trade off for me. people who didnt want that should have bought a vanilla android handset. android gives a choice unlike just a choice of wall paper change to differentiate your phone for your needs. or i have an option to root if i wish then the sky is the limit - well almost, just using that figuratively :). if i was unsatisfied i would buy a different system or phone that suited me. thats why i wont buy a sony for a long while as wasnt happy with their phones i had. i didnt buy an apple because i wasnt happy after using it after using other peoples phones. people have a choice to buy what they want.
    bubblesmoney :hello:
  • Bubbles, you need to find the "shift" key on your keyboard!!
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    I've had the Desire for about 3 weeks now. Got it unlocked and am now using in Asia with local sims. It's been fine and I'm very happy with it. Battery life is the only problem, but since 90% of the time I'm with my laptop and the Desire comes with a USB charging cable, it's not an issue.

Just before leaving the UK, I went back to the same shop with a mate who was looking for a simple Nokia. The rep saw my Desire and was interested to know where I got it from (without realising I got it from another rep at the same shop). He said that a number of iPhones had been returned for different reasons (crashes, not reading SIM etc) and no Desires had yet been returned.

I'm not too bothered about features, but reliability is important. Years ago I was a real gadget man - could overlook any number of shortcomings to have the best spec. Now I just can't be bothered anymore.

All this is anecdotal, of course. But I'm happy.
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    ampletime wrote: »
    The Desire is a great phone and is just as good as any iphone. However the HTC Evo is better than the Desire and the iphone and the HTC Ace will be better than the Desire and the iphone and on par with the Evo.

Unfortunately you can only get whats available to get now. Apparently it'll be October at the earliest until the Ace comes out.

At which point it'll only be a few months until the next thing, and then you never end up upgrading!
  • bingy_burge
    bingy_burge Posts: 618 Forumite
    [QUOTE[The evo is better than the iphone[/QUOTE]

The htc evo is better than what iphone the 4?

Thats a matter of opinion as they both have pros and cons.

• The evo has 8mp camera the iphone 4 only 5.
    • The evo has hd video 23fps and the iphone 4 looks much better with hd 30fps.
    • The evoe has a larger 4.3 inch display where as the iphone 4 only 3.5.
    • The evo only has 64,000 colours the iphone a wopping 16,000,000 and is amazing.
    • The iphone 4 has very good battery life and will last over a day with intensive use, the evo struggles to do a day of intensive use.
    Its swings and roundabouts they both have the good and bad points but for me the size and poor battery life on the evo isn't enough to with just a 8mp camera.

Iphone 4 is best in my opnion.
  • THink i'm going to go for iphone4 but looking at desire does it have an app like ibooks on the iphone
  • purple12
    purple12 Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It has the kindle for android app. Worked well enough for me but I didn't check in depth because I can't see myself reading on the phone!
  • bubblesmoney
    bubblesmoney Posts: 2,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    there are quite a few book reader apps like amazon kindle, laputa, b&n and a few others from major players. many of them give free books too. i just tried laputa to check it out, it seems fine, but i dont see myself reading even one book from a phone though and will delete the ones i downloaded, i just tried to see what it was about. there is some rental app too but cant remember the name.

you can adjust the font size to suit your needs. reading isnt that much harder than on a book, the text resizes to screen size automatically. but make sure you have a spare battery or can charge the device if reading books as you will have the screen on for a long time. will be useful for reading on commutes or long air travel and save you the trouble of carrying bulky books along on holidays.
    bubblesmoney :hello:
  • thanks
    I'm still pretty undecided was definate iphone4 until I spoke to vodafone and they asked why i hadn't thought about other handsets and really would be better money wise, and would only take 18month contract whereas if i got iphone i would take 24 month contact
    I HATE DECISION!!
  • bobster999
    bobster999 Posts: 113 Forumite
    [QUOTE[The evo is better than the iphone

• The evo has 8mp camera the iphone 4 only 5.
    [/QUOTE]

bigger pixel size on a camera doesnt mean better quality. someone should only consider this if they print their photos out and want to print larger photos
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure