Letter from "Red Debt Collection Services" - I'm convinced it's not mine!

Comments

• MrChef
    MrChef Posts: 1 Newbie
    I had a text out of the blue from them today telling me to call a number 01133086119 and to quote a ref number.

This is the first time I have had contact from them or anyone similar. I called (with my number witheld) just to make sure it was a legit number.

I'll wait and see what else happens - luckily I've found and read this thread so at least now I know what to expect.
  • thomas235
    thomas235 Posts: 10 Forumite
    I got a letter from these guys the other day saying they had got my loan from lloyds and i owned them nearly £5000 if i paid now i could pay it off at half the cost, so i asked why i hadnt heard anything about this before now and was told that they had sent mail to me at late as feb/mar this year i went to my old place (Naval base accom) who hold mail for over 2 years and was told they had nothing for me and havent had anythign for me for a lot longer. Where do i stand and the loan i had with lloyds was over 9 years ago and this is the first ive heard about any outstanding amount thsi didnt even show on my credit file when i got a morgage 3 years ago?
  • thomas235 wrote: »
    I got a letter from these guys the other day saying they had got my loan from lloyds and i owned them nearly £5000 if i paid now i could pay it off at half the cost, so i asked why i hadnt heard anything about this before now and was told that they had sent mail to me at late as feb/mar this year i went to my old place (Naval base accom) who hold mail for over 2 years and was told they had nothing for me and havent had anythign for me for a lot longer. Where do i stand and the loan i had with lloyds was over 9 years ago and this is the first ive heard about any outstanding amount thsi didnt even show on my credit file when i got a morgage 3 years ago?

If what you say is corect, that you have not communicated on this debt for six years then it is statute barred. Ignore them.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    thomas235 wrote: »

This 'debt' is Statute Barred and, therefore, 'unenforceable through the Courts' - have a look at the following NDL link, and send them the template letter that you will find therein:

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=25_liability_for_debts_and_the_limitation_act
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • thomas235
    thomas235 Posts: 10 Forumite
    got another letter from them today saying
    "Our client has asked us to offer you a reduced settlemtn figure in order to close this outstanding account before we procced with further action.

If we do nit recive communication from you within the next 7 days we will recommend out client to further action be taken against you.

Got the phone number under that do i just ignore them?
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    thomas235 wrote: »
    got another letter from them today saying
    "Our client has asked us to offer you a reduced settlemtn figure in order to close this outstanding account before we procced with further action.

If we do nit recive communication from you within the next 7 days we will recommend out client to further action be taken against you.

If you have informed them that you will not be making any payments since the 'debt' is Statute Barred (the only reason that you need give) then they should (according to the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines to which they should, but seldom do, adhere) cease all further attempts to pursue the debt.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

It is, however, quite common for a dca, especially those of the ilk of Lowell, to ignore this guidance, often appealing to a debtor's 'moral' (as if they would know the meaning of the word) oligation towards the 'debt'.

You can ignore this letter, but you should keep it, and any further correspondence from them including logging any telephone calls that they may make to you. This is in case you need to make a complaint to the Office of Fair Trading, who are, currently clamping down on DCAs who ignore their guidance regarding 'debts' which are either in dispute or, as in your case, legally unenforceable.

For more information on the OFT's stance, including details of how and where to lodge a complaint, have a look at the following thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1639473
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Hi

I received a letter from red stating that I am due £389 to T Mobile. They sent the letter to my boyfriends mums address which I have never stayed with them, does anyone know how they sent a letter there for me.
  • You must have a linked finance agreement or a joint account somewhere. Alternatively you have made a joint application for finance at some stage. The only way these muppets know anything is from what you have stated on finance applications.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • hello, i just received a text from them today saying that its important they speak to me, with a reference number. i called them and was asked to give my name and address, which i felt suspicious to be giving these details away to something i never heard about.
    The guy on the phone said it was to verify my identity, and i was unconvinced, which i declined. They said they had sent me a letter 2 weeks ago, which i never received.
    In the end, i told them i wasnt going to continue the call and hung up. im glad to find out about this forum and finding more about Red services, which is a debt collection company. im sure i havent any debt as i dont borrow.
    im pretty sure i wouldnt want to call them back.

But im worried if they will do something nasty to my credit.
    being relatively new to UK, i hope to have my credit record clean,
    as it is i dont even know how to check my credit record, or how to check if anyone has dirtied my record. Can anyone suggest something useful?
  • GeorgeUK
    GeorgeUK Posts: 7,737 Forumite
    You can check your credit file free at experian (if you cancel within 30 days).

It's not worth paying to see your credit score, so don't bother with that. You did the right thing with regards RED too - if they've got something to say to you, they can do it in a letter.
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills