so cross with myself!

Made a major errot this week and didn't pay enough money into my joint account to cover the mortgage. This meant that the payment was taken on 28th as usual but was returned on 30th due to insufficient funds in joint account.

I acted immediately and called today and paid using my debit card. This means that I have paid 3 days late. Do you think that this will be reported to credit reference agencies?? Even though I am not looking for more credit I don't want late payment markers haunting me in the future.

Do they only report after 30 days late ??

Comments

• cc4rhu
    cc4rhu Posts: 111 Forumite
    This won't show up as late. Don't worry.
  • You need to set up a standing order so it doesn't happen again!
  • Muhren
    Muhren Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I once paid a few days late and nothing showed up on my credit report. I think you will be fine.
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016
    Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

• You need to set up a standing order so it doesn't happen again!

That's not gong to help, if there's not enough money in the account, to cover the SO.
  • loopy136
    loopy136 Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, been in a simular situation myself and contacted the company straight away, they told me they try to collect the payment again and as long as they receive the payment within 14 days they do not record any late payment. This may be different with some companies but it wouldn't have harmed you to ask for this information when you called them, they are the best people to answer your fears.
    Hopeful optimistic. 
  • I called and made an immediate debit card payment so in theory we were only 2 days late. The lady on the phone said that she couldn't say if it would be reported to credit reference agencies so I would just need to keep checking my report to see if it appears!! I told her that I would be very disappointed in a 2 day late payment was reported as I have paid on time since the start of my mortgage almost 9 years ago! I guess the ball is in their court though as in theory I was late paying!!
  • quantic
    quantic Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    That's not gong to help, if there's not enough money in the account, to cover the SO.

I think he means set up a standing order of the correct amount into the joint account to avoid the error of not transferring enough.
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    quantic wrote: »
    I think he means set up a standing order of the correct amount into the joint account to avoid the error of not transferring enough.

Perhaps Midlander ought to turn this around. Salary and income gets paid into a joint account from which bills are paid. A standing order for 'other' money is sent out of that account just like you would pay a bill. The upshot is that you would almost never make this mistake again since you are not relying on remembering to pay money into an account to cover the debt, the money is already there.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Thank you quantic that is what I meant :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure