Affiliate your website... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i want to generate some income from it if i can by adding relevent sites which sell secondhand or recycled. enviroment friendly products.. that will give me money for any business i pass their way...
    apart from the obvious like amazon ...ebay ? etc are there any other sites that could link nicely with my site ?

I find that making money like that is very difficult. Few people click the links/banners and much fewer actually go on to buy something.

You may be better off with google adsense. It pays you a small amount when someone clicks on the link even if they don't go on to buy something.
    also is it worth trying to have a search engine link in my website ? which one would pay me the most money? or are they only interested in high traffic/big websites ?

Google do a search box too. I think it is the highest paying one and it certainly the most familiar one to web users, so they are more likely to use it. If you do go for google be aware that if you have their search box on your site you can't have one from another company.
    sorry if my questions sound a bit naff but i am going into an area where i havent got a flipping clue..lol....

No, everyone has to learn and asking questions is the best way.
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Originally Posted by COOLTRIKERCHICK
    also is it worth trying to have a search engine link in my website ? which one would pay me the most money? or are they only interested in high traffic/big websites ?

Try Mirago for your search box - I have their search box and using a php script the results are scrapped onto my URL rather than being forwarded to mirago. The results look good as you get a thumbnail of each site.
  • save-a-lot
    Combo Breaker First Post
    save-a-lot wrote: »
    Originally Posted by COOLTRIKERCHICK

Try Mirago for your search box - I have their search box and using a php script the results are scrapped onto my URL rather than being forwarded to mirago. The results look good as you get a thumbnail of each site.

Right, I have just learnt of google coop integrated websearch, this will undoubtedly pay the best and has REAL depth of subject areas (because it is google - and the #1 stop for everyone) unlike mirago that can be very sparse in terms of results. I have an example of this on my own site, PM me if you want to see a working example, or visit my site from my profile on MSE for a look-see.

I have set it up so I can search my own URL and also the web (google.co.uk) and in both instances ads by google are displayed that pay on the click.
  • sc1984
    sc1984 Posts: 7 Forumite
    I would like to do this but have no idea where to even start. can someone help me?
  • save-a-lot
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sc1984 wrote: »
    I would like to do this but have no idea where to even start. can someone help me?

what help do you require?
  • save-a-lot wrote: »
    If you need a website template in order to get into this then...

Go to www.oswd.org - Open Source Web Design

loads of free css templates

or http://www.openwebdesign.org/
  • I don't even know where to start. How do i go about doing the web page first? and then the affiliate linking?
  • save-a-lot
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I use https://www.fuzioned.com for hosting, and they do domain registration too, get a domain and hosting space first. Then learn a little, google html online courses or something. If you need specifics PM me as I can help.
  • Thanks to this post I have made the start of monetising my site and am so far averaging about £100-£125 a month return which I am happy with at the moment, the challenge now is to grow this...

My point to this post is that I had zero knowledge of any of these processes before I started out, I simply read the guides that are available on Google and took the plunge, sure I made some mistakes but I learnt from them and am now a slightly happier bunny :) Please do not be afraid that you cannot do this, everyone can if I can manage it...
    EBay is the holy grail of Auction Sites, use it to clear your unwanted items and generate you some income to spend on whatever you want. Just don't get addicted like me :)

20p Savers Club = £36.00 :j 1p, 2p & 5P TIN = £10.89 :T
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    AuctionMan wrote: »
    Thanks to this post I have made the start of monetising my site and am so far averaging about £100-£125 a month return which I am happy with at the moment, the challenge now is to grow this...

My point to this post is that I had zero knowledge of any of these processes before I started out, I simply read the guides that are available on Google and took the plunge, sure I made some mistakes but I learnt from them and am now a slightly happier bunny :) Please do not be afraid that you cannot do this, everyone can if I can manage it...

If you have "just made the start" how have you managed to reach 100 to 125 quid per month?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure