Backdate a Default - Before or After Settling DMP

Hello All

I've been on a DMP for 5 years now and feel that 2 of my creditors have applied a Default very late (2 years after entering the DMP and failing to make the contractual payment)

Through searching posts on this forum I'll be putting together a complaint to them to request they back date the default to within 6 months of the initial breakdown of the financial relatipnship.

Fortunately I've come into a position where I can settle all of my debts in full in the next few months.
Now my query is should I settle the debts then send the request to backdate the default (showing I've paid them off in as quick a time as possible) or should I make the default amendment request before settling the debt (so the creditor still has some hold over me)?

Any advice as to what you believe would bring the best outcome of the Default amendment request would be much appreciated

Thank you, Mike

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,831 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,
    Well default will show for 6 years regardless of weather account is paid up or not, it's not really a case of a creditor having a hold on you, it's just the way the system works.
    I would bang that complaint in straight away, as these things can take time to sort out.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • MikeyN
    MikeyN Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi sourcrates

Thank you for the reply.

I don't think I explained myself very well. I was wondering if anyone knew if a creditor would look more favorably on a complaint to amend a default date if the debt was fully settled, or if it wouldn't make a difference.

If no difference then as you say I'll submit it sooner.

Thanks again
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,831 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I think the time at which a default can be registered is usually when you have missed 3 to 6 contracted payments, (differs depending on the account).
    So there is no "set in stone" time to default an account, if you think it should of been registered earlier, then get that complaint in.

In my opinion it will make little difference either way.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • happy_bunny_2
    happy_bunny_2 Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    Settling and the date should not be related.

Complain, in writing, see what happens.

Did anything change to make them apply the default, like further reduced payments?
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport