Standard Life Shares

Options

Comments

• angela110660
    angela110660 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My faith in Standard Life being what it is, after the whole sorry saga of the last few years, I think I'd rather have the cash in my savings account as soon as possible, rather than keeping the shares and getting a small dividend every now and then. Given the state of the stock market tho, the timing is cr*p, but that just seems strangely typical of everything to do with them!

And once I've got my shares the endowment is going too...[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree with you. When you are told in 2004 that your highest outcome for your endowment could be £52K and your 2006 statement arrives and says the highest outcome will only be £39500 - then you start to wonder why you ever bothered paying the monthly amounts all those years ago. More money in - less and less and less out.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the shares go to market when that market is generally depressed then any market recovery might also carry the shares up too. (Could this make SL a 'better' buy and a 'worse' sell than it would have been had the market stayed at its previous heights? Any thought?)

Also, is no stamp duty on an IPO (initial public offering) - 0.5%? Every little helps.
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • Liz_the_Whizz
    Options
    Chrismaths wrote:
    ...But more difficult and expensive to sell. Best option probably to take the certificate (if you are not selling) then get it dematerialised at a cheap online broker.

Chrismaths and chums,

As a forum newbie (though I have been lurking for a couple of months), could you enlighten me about this "dematerialisation" business? I've never sold a share, just accumulated a few from Bradford & Bingley etc.

I thought £15 per share deal with the Standard Life service looked high, so I was wondering about taking the share certificate instead, but then would not have a clue as to what to do with it (frame it?).

Any advice very gratefully received,

Thanks,

Liz the Whizz
    "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm" (Sir Winston Churchill)
  • keithattwood
    Options
    I receievd my S/L Share Info Yesterday (440).

But I am wondering should I hold out or take the money and run. I notice other online Financial websites are advising the Hold on to them option.

This is based on performance of other institutions that have floated on the Stock Market. IE: Abbey, All & Leic, Halifax, Woolwich, Northern Rock, Bradford and Bingley, and Friends Provident.

Be interested in Martins thoughts on this.
  • RT7
    RT7 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    Got ours today, 1043 shares, think we will hold onto them.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have 439 and not sure what to do. I dont have a clue about shares and dealing or how to keep them. We don't have long to decide do we. Havent had time to read the info that came with them yet but I bet I'll still be confused once I have
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • rkh001
    rkh001 Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    Got mine yesterday - 267 Shares. Might take the money and put it towards a car (that I despearately need) or pay off something of my debts.

One amount, so many choices!

Perhaps the weekend broadsheets might have something on this.

Martin, HELP.
  • mikeassured
    mikeassured Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    I have had my papers too, qualifying for 742 shares. I am unsure about whether to keep them for a short time or sell straight away? I have only bought shares once before and lost a fair amount of money so I am thinking about taking the money and putting towards my mortgage.

Sue
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Kantankrus_Mare Posts: 6,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :confused: I got 582 with 7 years left to run on endowments.

We are cashing ours in as we desperately need new suite and to decorate living room which hasnt been done in 10 years.

Then my proposed plan is to wait for next years statements in Feb from Standard life and if there seems to be no significant improvement, we are gonna cut out losses and either sell or cash in endowments and take rest of Mortgage on repayment.

At least it is guaranteed to be paid that way wiothout the annual worry of what crap Standard Life have to offer.

like many others on here Im afraid I have no faith in the company and what happens if lots of people have the same thoughts and there is a mass exodus?:confused:
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • yallapilko
    yallapilko Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    I'm facing the same dilemma. And I found this, it may be useful.
    As a result I'm going to sell and re invest in a mixed bag of shares.

"Holding Standard Life shares might be higher risk than some investors are prepared to accept, as returns depend on the fortunes of just one company. If this is the case, then selling would be sensible. The money could be used to fund a more diversified investment, used to pay off debts or pay for a few luxuries," says Justin Modray at Bestinvest.

However, there is an argument for holding on to the shares at least for a little while, just in case a predator decides to pounce. A takeover bid could well push up the share price.

Some of the other life company demutualisations have not exactly been soaraway successes. Friends Provident floated in July 2001 with a launch price of £2.25, but on Thursday its shares were trading at around £1.77.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure