The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We are now clear of any monthly obligation except for the mortgage and that is in my sights.

Thanks to an unexpected PPi success the car is gone, and there is nothing owing any where else.

The debt free wannabe and daily boards were my saviour, so a thank you to everyone who takes the time to post.
  • fevlo
    fevlo Posts: 203 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    a. The date of your lightbulb moment

February 18th 2013

b. Debts at their highest

Circa £12,000

c. Debt-Free Date

d. Your one perl of wisdom.

Take control of your debt, it was the best thing I ever did. Once you control the debt you control the debt collectors and once you control the collector’s life becomes so much less stressful. The nasty letters stop, the constant phone calls stop and you have space to breathe. If you feel confident enough, go for a self-managed DMP but if not, use one of the charities like StepChange or Payplan and keep coming on this forum.

[STRIKE]DFD - 24th October 2015[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]DFD - 24th March 2015 [/STRIKE]
    DEBT FREE 24.03.15
  • Skinnylatte
    Skinnylatte Posts: 1,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Home Insurance Hacker!
    It's my turn!
    What an inspiration you have all been, I couldn't have done it without you x

a. The date of your lightbulb moment 02/06/2013
    b. Debts at their highest £21595
    c. Debt-Free Date 27/03/2015
    d. Your one perl of wisdom. Focus on ditching the interest first
    e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/balance-transfer-credit-cards?_ga=1.176787437.970610595.1406481873
    f. Which forum threads helped you All the lovely debt free diaries that inspired me
    g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4743675
    Pay off Car Loan £17,047 £10580 by Christmas 2022

Mortgage 1 @ 23/03/2019 [STRIKE]£101297[/STRIKE]
    £84457 16.6% DI [STRIKE]£6.95[/STRIKE] £6.15
    Mortgage 2 @ 12/04/2015 [STRIKE]£136121[/STRIKE]
    £100,546 26.1
    % DI [STRIKE]£9.13[/STRIKE] £6.07
    1st LBM 02/06/2013 £[STRIKE]21595[/STRIKE] Debt Free Day 27/03/2015

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It's my turn!
    What an inspiration you have all been, I couldn't have done it without you x

a. The date of your lightbulb moment 02/06/2013
    b. Debts at their highest £21595
    c. Debt-Free Date 27/03/2015
    d. Your one perl of wisdom. Focus on ditching the interest first
    e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/balance-transfer-credit-cards?_ga=1.176787437.970610595.1406481873
    f. Which forum threads helped you All the lovely debt free diaries that inspired me
    g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4743675

Congratulations, and welcome to the club !!!!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • kika
    kika Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I can't believe it but I'm now debt free. Its not been easy as I found if I was too strict I couldn't keep to my budget. Its been I long time but lurking on this site has helped so much, I am now saving and checking out ISA rates! I will continue to lurk as I love it on here.
    long haul no 65:sad:
    Official DFW nerd no 783
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Brilliant news Kika! Well done and enjoy being debt-free:)

Ellie x
  • Please report

a. The date of your lightbulb moment;

Prob Jan 2014 after wedding when husband lost job and I realised we would have to pay off debts pronto

b. Debts at their highest

£10,249.53

c. Debt-Free Date

16th March 2015

d. Your one perl of wisdom.

Meal plan - this has made so much difference to how much we spend and also how much we waste - we waste so much less free food now!

f. Which forum threads helped you

All the debt free wannabe diaries and mortgage free wannabes all are very inspirational and make you realise just what you can achieve with determination and perseverance.

g. My debt free diary is called "The Time Has Come..." hence my username thewalrussaid :)
    Current mortgage as at start of diary 14.08.15 - £245,990.00
    Mortgage balance as at 04.01.20 - £123905.51
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Congratulations to Kika, Skinnylatte and Thewalrussaid on DFD - stories like these inspire and motivate me

Thanks Guys & well done
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • kika
    kika Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks for your messages. I'm now saving but first we're having a holiday in a hotel, no more camping/caravans!
    long haul no 65:sad:
    Official DFW nerd no 783
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Lizze
    Lizze Posts: 2 Newbie
    Reading all of these posts is really inspiring. I intend to post in here with my own debt free date in October this year! Thank you to everyone for sharing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback