Canned Food Recipe and Healthy Eating Downloads

Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
edited 7 April 2009 at 7:42PM in Freebies (no spend required)
Go to the Canned Food website.

Information includes recipe and "fact" cards and you can either download a Pdf or send off to receive a version by post.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• cabunny
    cabunny Posts: 135 Forumite
    brilliant! I was just wondering what to do with the tin of sardines that has been lurking in my cupboard for ages - and hey presto, the recipe of the month on the canned food website is Sardine Bruschetta
    :T

lots of other useful recipes too for quick meals, thanks OP
  • becdoh
    becdoh Posts: 8 Forumite
    Thank you very much - I not only had sardines but also a tin of green lentils, mixed bean salad, canellini beans and condensed soup (which I must of bought for a recipe but cant't remember now) and I have found a recipe for all!:j
  • Titch28
    Titch28 Posts: 97 Forumite
    Hey its great Thanks very much :T
  • YorkshireTerrier
    YorkshireTerrier Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 8 April 2009 at 12:53PM
    Some interesting recipes on there thanks. Handy that they list the nutritional info on each recipe but don't add salt though which is worrying - something to be aware of when buying, no more than 6g per day for Adults and less for children see the food standards agency website for more info.
  • haven't been on MSE for a while, so only just seen this. thanks for the link :)
    Missysx
    Mother of 3 and former freelance motorsport photographer
    Avon:
    C12 £80 C13 £179 C14 £271 C15 £471 C16 £361 C17 £306
  • MrsMoo2U
    MrsMoo2U Posts: 4,005 Forumite
    A question. I recently moved in with my OH. He has been living in between his own home and his Mum and Dads for some time and so he didnt spend a lot of time here. I moved in and discovered a whole cupboard full of tins. All of which are "out of date". Now I know that best before dates etc can be pushed but can anyone tell me what the score is on the dates on tinned food. There are lots of really nice things there like curry sauces, rice puddings, fruit, etc. I would feel really bad just dumping them into the compost.
    Some days there aren't any trumpets, just lots of dragons. Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow -- Mary Anne Radmacher
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    cherisong wrote: »
    A question. I recently moved in with my OH. He has been living in between his own home and his Mum and Dads for some time and so he didnt spend a lot of time here. I moved in and discovered a whole cupboard full of tins. All of which are "out of date". Now I know that best before dates etc can be pushed but can anyone tell me what the score is on the dates on tinned food. There are lots of really nice things there like curry sauces, rice puddings, fruit, etc. I would feel really bad just dumping them into the compost.

most tinned food can be used several years out of date. if the cans are rusty or bulging throw them out, if they aren't then open them and if they smell fine you can do a tiny taste test, if that's ok you're probably fine. more often than not what will happen after it's best before date is that it might not taste quite as fresh though i've often eaten things past their date and they taste the same as 'in date' things.

it's USE before dates that you need to be concerned with, best before dates are there as a basic guideline so they dont' sit in the shop for years on end and to cover the manufacturers backside if some shop were to keep them for some ridiculous length of time then try to sell them.
  • MrsMoo2U
    Thanks Confuuzzied (love the name). I am ok with fresh produce. I use mostly fresh stuff myself and always "push" the use by date. i smell, taste, cook, and then if Im still not sure about the taste dump! I was just needing some reassurance that a tin of beans with a 2008 date would be ok to open. My OH is paranoid about stuff but I have him coming around to my way of thinking. I just hate waste.
    Some days there aren't any trumpets, just lots of dragons. Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow -- Mary Anne Radmacher
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    thanks for the compliment *takes a bow* :p

yes i agree, i too push on use by dates but i only really try to 'educate' the willing on that front, otherwise they tend not to listen to anything you have to say about anything at all once there's one 'ewww' thing to cling on too... least that's been my experiences with the selectively squeamish crowd!

i once had a doctor start to give me some meds than he asked me to wait a moment (at the time it was during a gallbladder attack and i really didn't want to wait but i humoured him anyway ;)) he went back to check the date on the medicine he was about to inject me with, made a small swear under his breath, apologised again and then had to go in another room to get me some newer meds

he couldn't apologise enough and then commented on how he realises that some medications like heart meds and insulin really need a use by date but things like pain relievers and muscle relaxants (which is what they give you for a gallbladder attack) don't break down into anything harmful when old and should have longer use by dates on them. he was tired of so much waste in that front as he put it ' whilst we don't want you to be in pain, if this isn't effective enough i can give you more rather than throwing it all down the drain just because it's a day out of date'

i quite agree with him that common sense needs to prevail in many areas about use by and best before dates but in a more and more litigious world where we've become even more 'squeamish' about things (and that really is a luxury regardless of what people claim) i fear there is much less common sense about these days...

ok off my soapbox and i hope you enjoy the canned goods! ;)
  • MrsMoo2U
    Ha, love people who have a soapbox. It means that they are passionate about life and we need more of that these days.
    I have now done a full inventory of things in the cupboard and I can (if they are ok when I open them) have some lovely puddings and curries over the next few weeks. I am heading over to the canned food recipes now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure