Pre-reg car service interval

Comments

• marks87
    marks87 Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tarambor wrote: »
    But I bet everything was right when you were happily taking a large discount on the new price. As with any deal where you're saving a fair few quid you need to look carefully into the ins and outs. The slight bit of salt on the deal is that you have to do a first service quite quickly but given the first service is usually below £200 and you're saving four figure sums it isn't the end of the world.

But that still ignores the fact the car itself was programmed into thinking the first service wasn't due until this month.

When I was sold it I was told the two downsides were the shorter warranty, and that the V5 will show two owners if/when I come to sell it on. No mention of it needing serviced less than a year after purchase.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Rest easy in the fact that any warranty barely covers anything that is likely to go wrong and this minor discrepancy in the service history is nothing.

In fact if it was dealer serviced the chances are it's never actually had a service, dealerships techs in most dealerships don't have time to service every car they get in each day.........

Usually some suit does a "time and motion study" and finds that under perfect conditions, working fingers to bone, based on servicing a new car with nothing going wrong, they should be doing X number of cars a day. Then they get two cars in one day where the customer has left the wheel nut key at home, suddenly 2, 3, 4 cars don't even make it into the service bay.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    It is likely that the car was made (A) several weeks / months before the dealer received it (B). The Pre-Delivery Inspection (C) would be done sometime between (B), and the dealer selling it (D). Vehicles are normally registered at (D), rather than sometime between (B) and (D).

The car is likely to need servicing, based on a duration after (C) or possibly after (A) ; but there is no valid reason for the vehicle to need servicing sooner, simply because ownership passed from the manufacturer to the dealer. There is therefore no technical reason why the service indicator clock could not be reset to the date of sale.

Pre-registration allows cars to be sold, after the cut-off date for them to have certain features ( e.g meeting emissions standards ) ; so the manufacturer can bend the rules of the system. It also allows them to inflate sales figures. The OP gets a discount for this ( and the reduced warranty ).

The OP's concern is that the Service Indicator clock was reset at the date of sale, but if the warranty rules apply, then it would be 4 months late. I would suggest first checking with the garage ( which could, but didn't, send an e-mail reminder ) and if they say the warranty is breached, take it up with the manufacturer. The manufacturer can then explain the component degradation that starts while the vehicle is in the dealer's compound, triggered by someone telling DVLA that it's been sold. They probably won't want the can of worms to be opened any further.

Pre-registration is as ridiculous as a person being allowed to buy alcohol at 17 years 9 months, because their parents registered them 3 months before they were born.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Making things up again Strider590 or do you actually have a shred of evidence for the above?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    Pre-registration is as ridiculous as a person being allowed to buy alcohol at 17 years 9 months, because their parents registered them 3 months before they were born.
    Perhaps it is - but people don't argue at the discount it gives them over new price.
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Most Renaults have a service interval of 2 years ... have you checked what yours is? You might be worrying about nothing.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 4:52AM
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Making things up again Strider590 or do you actually have a shred of evidence for the above?

The office of fair trading and Which magazine often do extensive investigations into garage servicing standards. The results are universally abysmal. Whether independent garage or main dealer they are as poor as each other.
    The investigation into standards of car serving in Wales 2010 is easily found online.
    Their conclusions:

There was clear evidence that many traders were not thorough in their approach to the service. Many were negligent and some even fraudulently charged for work that they did not carry out.

The general standard of servicing was poor and only a small percentage of the garages picked up most of the faults.

Many traders appeared to routinely “stamp” consumers vehicle service records implying that the manufacturer’s recommended service schedules had been followed when they had not.

The prices charged by main dealers were generally higher than the small independent garages but both missed faults that ought to have been picked up.

etc, etc.

These reports are produced on a regular basis but nothing is ever done about it.

I am not sure Strider590 knows exactly all the reasons why garage servicing standards are so poor but they definitely are.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    fred246 wrote: »
    The office of fair trading and Which magazine often do extensive investigations into garage servicing standards. The results are universally abysmal. Whether independent garage or main dealer they are as poor as each other.
    The investigation into standards of car serving in Wales 2010 is easily found online.
    Their conclusions:

There was clear evidence that many traders were not thorough in their approach to the service. Many were negligent and some even fraudulently charged for work that they did not carry out.

The general standard of servicing was poor and only a small percentage of the garages picked up most of the faults.

Many traders appeared to routinely “stamp” consumers vehicle service records implying that the manufacturer’s recommended service schedules had been followed when they had not.

The prices charged by main dealers were generally higher than the small independent garages but both missed faults that ought to have been picked up.

etc, etc.

These reports are produced on a regular basis but nothing is ever done about it.

I am not sure Strider590 knows exactly all the reasons why garage servicing standards are so poor but they definitely are.
    That's not what he said though. He implied that cars going in for main dealer services are routinely leaving without any work being done whatsoever. TBH he regularly posts nonsense without anything to back it up, he has no credibility in this forum as far as I and many others are concerned.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »

My brother has worked in the motor trade (sales, management, etc) at dealerships for over 10 years, Toyota, BMW, Audi. Most people knew this stuff was going on, but as long as targets were met on paper and the charts looked nice in the weekly meetings, everyone turned a blind eye.

The was an episode of Undercover Boss UK, where the boss of Hyundai went under cover at dealerships and found that techs didn't have time to do all their daily jobs, if you want to look it up on Youtube......
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Strider590 wrote: »
    My brother has worked in the motor trade (sales, management, etc) at dealerships for over 10 years, Toyota, BMW, Audi. Most people knew this stuff was going on, but as long as targets were met on paper and the charts looked nice in the weekly meetings, everyone turned a blind eye.

The was an episode of Undercover Boss UK, where the boss of Hyundai went under cover at dealerships and found that techs didn't have time to do all their daily jobs, if you want to look it up on Youtube......

So if it happened that once, it happens everywhere. Beware of mentioning brand names on the internet while accusing them of things. You and the owner of the site could be open to libel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure