Playstation 4 Virtual Reality

Playstation 4 Virtual Reality - What is the true cost?

Hi, i am considering the playstation 4 virtual reality headset that is being released shortly.
But i am getting confused about the setup cost. Have been reading that in addition to the headset you will also need to separately purchase the playstation camera, playstation move controllers and a pair of headphones (if you dont like the earpieces). If thats all true then looks very expensive

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 June 2016 at 11:45PM
    My advice wait until it's been out for say a month and see what is needed for it.

Well this review says

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming/playstation-vr-1235379/review

You get the earphones but not the controllers nor the camera.
  • OOOO
    OOOO Posts: 44 Forumite
    Thanks i forgot to mention that i also read somewhere you may need a new playstation 4.5 ?

I was really looking forward to the whole virtual reality thing but seems so expensive
  • spoonk1
    spoonk1 Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2016 at 8:51PM
    Hi I have this pre-ordered and was told by game staff that it does not need the controllers as the dual shock ps4 controller works with some games and others you do need the controllers (the controllers are like the ones came out for the wii) it does need the camera, which is on the tesco double up at the minute and a plus for me is it also works on a gaming pc this page is also helpful with info..http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/137058-playstation-vr-release-date-specs-and-everything-you-need-to-know
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OOOO wrote: »
    Thanks i forgot to mention that i also read somewhere you may need a new playstation 4.5 ?

I was really looking forward to the whole virtual reality thing but seems so expensive

I'd wait and see what the games are released for it and for any issues to be sorted out.

Also by waiting the cost could come down.
  • It's £349 for the headset and £40 for the camera which isn't included. Games look pretty pricey too but think they're only placeholders
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    OOOO wrote: »

The PS4.5 won't be needed as it's not going to be out until some time after the Sony VR headset. How well it will work is another question as VR needs a lot of graphics horsepower to work well and the PS4 is extremely underpowered so the PS4.5/Neo may be much better at it but right now we know very little about the new console.

John
  • duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sony are going to have to play it right. VR needs horsepower (although there are good mobile experiences out there).

You're not going to get the same experience you get from a Vive/Rift and a powerful PC, but it's still likely to be impressive.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I don't think the lack of GPU horsepower is an issue as what surprises me about VR is that it can be very immersive even with basic graphics. There's a couple of VR demos with a mobile phone level of 3D graphics which look noticeably basic but they still feel amazing. That said, I've seen a 60fps figure thrown about although the headset is capable of more while 90fps seems to be the target for Vive/Rift. Sony can enfore all VR games to run at 90fps as they have the advantage of being in complete control of the console but it's going to come at the cost of graphics quality which might put off those who want eye candy as well.

I think what does make the experience feel so immersive is the incredibly responsive tracking and that's what I'd be concerned about with the PS VR because while the Rift and Vive use tracking systems built specifically for that function whereas Sony are using their existing Move system. It's not just immersion either as the smooth tracking of the headset is what prevents people from becoming motion sick (or at least some people).

The laser tracking basestations of the Vive can be a bit of a pain to get working but once the system is working, the tracking on the headset and the controllers is incredible as it's so quick and responsive unlike the Wiimotes. I haven't tried the Oculus room scale system but their one camera system seemed to work great so no reason to believe their full system won't.

The Resident Evil VR demo has become infamous for making people unwell even those who have no issues with other VR headsets but I've seen no concrete reason for that, some think it was the demo running at 60fps, some think it's the headset not tracking quickly enough and others think it may be the in game controls.

My concern at the moment is that VR is mostly seen as a gimmick similar to 3D that's pointless and it's going to pass, PS VR clearly has far more mainstream potential but if it doesn't work well it could really sink or at least significantly delay VR development.

John
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have tried to view gameplay footage for Batman, but haven't seen any decent gameplay footage, just a load of cuts.
  • AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    When is the release date for ps VR uk
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business