Spent 4 years pretending it's all OK

Comments

• chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    These mid teen years are a pain as far as care is concerned aren't they. I have the same problem. There is only one place that takes 13+ age group and even then most kids that go there aren't at that age, so it is babyish for him. In the end I make them do chores for computer time. But I don't currently have to go to work in the day time, so it is a bit different to yourselves. Good luck sorting it out.

Sorry to hear that your dads life is so circumscribed now. Is there a drop in centre that he could be picked up and taken to? Or something run by the ex servicemens club where they live?
    good luck
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • When I was 11 my mum volunteered at the cab in the next town...I used to get taken to the swimming pool, dropped off with a packed lunch and the entrance money and go swimming the whole day...I absolutely loved it!
    Credit card respend 2551.58 (15/02/17)
  • NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    chevalier wrote: »
    These mid teen years are a pain as far as care is concerned aren't they. I have the same problem. There is only one place that takes 13+ age group and even then most kids that go there aren't at that age, so it is babyish for him. In the end I make them do chores for computer time. But I don't currently have to go to work in the day time, so it is a bit different to yourselves. Good luck sorting it out.

Sorry to hear that your dads life is so circumscribed now. Is there a drop in centre that he could be picked up and taken to? Or something run by the ex servicemens club where they live?
    good luck
    chev
    Hi Chev, Thanks for dropping in, and hope all is well with you - will try and pop by and catch up! I could stay at home and turn down the work but actually it helps not only with the money but keeping me sane! DS has so much screen time it drives me nuts. He's doing really well so I can't use that as an incentive. If I stayed home I think we would probably argue all the time, plus I actually just want him out doing things rather than at home or at friends houses playing computer games.

Dad is not good with accepting help or joining in with things like that, it has been suggested (a couple of years ago, when he had more mobility) and had a very cold reception. I think it would be different if he could actually go and say play cards or do an activity or something with other people at the day centre. The lack of sight has really sent him on a downward spiral.

xx
    NOA
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • NoOneAround
    When I was 11 my mum volunteered at the cab in the next town...I used to get taken to the swimming pool, dropped off with a packed lunch and the entrance money and go swimming the whole day...I absolutely loved it!

We just had the same conversation last night! great minds and all that....
    I have called the Red Cross charity shop in town and asked what age volunteers need to be - they said any age so I need to take him at the weekend and get him to fill in a form :) The sports centre is only half a mile walk from there, and the library very close, so he could actually do all three and fill a day.

xx
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    NOA - it is so true that everyone does tend to remember the good times only of small babies.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • The voluntary work will also look great on his CV when he is at an age that he starts job hunting ;)
  • NoOneAround
    The voluntary work will also look great on his CV when he is at an age that he starts job hunting ;)
    Yes but don't tell him;) Constantly trying to nudge them in the right direction!:p and I promise I'm not a helicopter parent:p

Just hope that it works out - am feeling very positive :T...might be the sunshine that 's taking efffect:)
    xx
  • I think you're the only person I know happy about the sunshine lol, everyone else is going urrrgh tooo hot! ;)
  • NoOneAround
    It's too hot to do anything but am home this week :) and I love the feeling of heat all around - (like being on hols in the Med...sigh). Makes me feel less achy. :D Am I just getting old?:eek:

Today have done four loads of handwashing, more soaking, plus rugs/throws/blankets/bedspreads have been in or are in the queue for the washing machine. Something very satisfying in doing these very humdrum boring jobs.:o

DS finishes at lunch time today (Schools out for summer!) but has arranged to go to cinema and burger at 5Guys, so don't need to pick up until 4.30ish.

Having been looking to book for a cheap hol somewhere in August but no luck. Wish we could have gone this coming week but DD had committed to work so I didn't want to mess up her opportunity.

Am pottering thinking about all the craft stuff I always want to do. Too many interests, never enough time:(

Just picked up a book from a bag my sister left with me (she was decluttering:o I was de-kondoing)-mostly books, some for DD. "How to get what you want and want what you have". Why is it that some people make millions writing about the things everyone knows that make sense (but so hard to do in practise!)?:rotfl:
    xx
    Noah
  • liltdiddylilt
    liltdiddylilt Posts: 4,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Hello lovely you!!

I loved doing exactly as Mars did and being dropped off by mum with my friends at the swimming pool with a packed lunch, £1.20 for the vending machine and the money for my swim. I spent hours and hours in the pool week in week out. Loved it! Nothing better than dropping a bobble right at the deep end then diving down to find it :rotfl:

Had to laugh at your why do some people make millions... isn't our very own Martin, and Mr Mustache come to think of it, two very good examples of teaching people common sense and getting rich from it ;)

I know the too many interest not enough time. Jellytot has taken herself off to bed already and the evening stretches ahead. So I will go on Pinterest and plan out my meals for the next 9 days and sort out the washing and by the time I've done that it will be bed time. D'Oh! Need to fit doing some of my actual hobby in... weight training :rotfl: xxx
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback