Argos Laptop Return

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    no the The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 REPLACED distance selling regs.
    DSR gave 7 days grace, CCR give 14 days grace, so totally difference regs.
    But with respect, I never mentioned The Distance Selling Regulations, or The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000, or the DSR.

All I said was that the distance selling rules are now included in newer legislation.

By 'distance selling rules' I meant the rules applying to sales made at a distance.

I am sorry you misunderstood that.
  • wealdroam wrote: »
    By 'distance selling rules' I meant the rules applying to sales made at a distance.

I am sorry you misunderstood that.
    Like these rules you mean:
    https://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/content/distance-selling-rules
  • wealdroam
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    no the The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 REPLACED distance selling regs.
    DSR gave 7 days grace, CCR give 14 days grace, so totally difference regs.

The purpose of the CCRs was to collate several pieces of consumer legislation into one piece and to simplify it to make it easy for consumers to come to grips with. One of the pieces of legislation it collated was The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations (technically no such thing as distance selling regs).

Also, the old regs gave 7 working days up to a maximum of 1 year & 7 working days (depending on if/when the retailer complies with the regulations provisions). The new regs give 14 calendar days up to a maximum of 1 year and 14 days (so not that much different at all).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    You can get a refund if you say you hadn't used it. You can just say that when you got it out of the box you realised that it was too flimsy for your needs as you are going off backpacking or something. They can't prove that you tried it out if it is all reset and you haven't installed anything on it.

I'm not saying that this is the right thing to do though (especially as you admit yourself that it was an impulse buy and you hadn't done any research into it).
  • wealdroam
    sgun wrote: »
    They can't prove that you tried it out if it is all reset and you haven't installed anything on it.
    Are you sure about that?

As the OP went as far as deciding it was too slow for his purpose, it appears that they have activated Windows, and possibly other software.

Pretty sure that activation cannot be undone.

The next owner of that machine may be surprised to find they don't need to go through the whole initialisation routine, and could, with some justification, return it to Argos with a comment like "you have sold me a used machine".
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    I also thought that restoring a computer to factory settings didn't clear any usage data from that computer or any disk drive fitted to it.
    If you could clear previous usage that easily, someone could get a disk drive that had been in constant use for many months, reset it then sell it advertised as unused.
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    Factory reset. Reinstall the OS. You might need the recovery disks or it might be inbuilt. I know someone who has done this (genuinely not me LOL).
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sgun wrote: »
    Factory reset. Reinstall the OS. You might need the recovery disks or it might be inbuilt. I know someone who has done this (genuinely not me LOL).

Anyone with even a basic knowledge of IT would be able to retrieve data after just a factory resent and OS re-install. It is not a secure way of wiping a computer. There are ways to more permanently remove data and personal details but they are quite involved and do require a bit more IT knowledge.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Windows has been activated, a reset and reinstall with not undo this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure