Car not as described

2»

Comments

• If OP had his way, advertisements for cars would be difficult to write. Take my current hack:

"2004 Honda Accord 2.2i-CTDi Tourer. 130Kmi, FSH, blue. Completely original and unmolested, excluding tyres, brake pads, brake discs, oil filter, oil, air filter, pollen filter, glowplugs, coolant, thermostat, timing chain, chain tensioners, crankshaft oil seal, camshaft sprocket, crankshaft sprocket, oil pump drive chain, sump gasket, injector seals, leak-off pipes, cam cover seals, various suspension arms, mats, tailgate gas struts, handbrake cable, battery, various bulbs, track-rod ends, OS outer CV boot, NSR wheel bearing..."

etc.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    cogsy1976 wrote: »
    I also found out when car was at BMW that car had non-standard suspension fitted ie. it had been lowered.

Where do I stand on this?

Verrrry slightly closer to the ground?:cool:
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    cogsy1976 wrote: »
    Ok, this is a fairly long post so please bear with! but I bought a car from a trader 2 months or so ago, had issue pretty much straightaway with car bellowing out smoke every now and again.

Long story short I took to BMW (off my own back to look at, purely because when car went back to have window switch fitted I was without the car for a week!) we found car had been remapped, I got them to unmap the car which has stopped the smoke issue.

I am still getting faults come up on my code reader (which dont affect the car by the way) and I want to return the car. Trader wants to have the car back to inspect and repair. Now Im 99.9% certain that the DPF (diesel particulate filter) was probably removed when it was remapped but I cant prove this although the codes that are coming up on my reader point to this, and from an MOT point of view its just a visual inspection and as long as its there then its ok.

However, I would never of bought the car if I had known it had been remapped, the car has done 96k and therefore the extra power on a high mileage car is not good for it at all (in the future) I also found out when car was at BMW that car had non-standard suspension fitted ie. it had been lowered.

Where do I stand on this? I am currently going through the Capital One disputes team (I paid part of the deposit on my credit card)for the vehicle issues regarding the codes.

Basically I want my money back and to give the car back, do I have a good case of getting this sorted with the fact that I was not advised by it being remapped and lowered? I have kept a copy of the advert as well which proves this.

Thanks for any advice

If you got BMW to restore the ECU software to standard then if the DFP has been removed it will show a fault code, what fault codes does the car have?. Or you could simply remove the DPF casing and look inside and you will soon see if it has been gutted or not.

Also a remap done correctly will not damage the car in any way and certainly not on a car that has only done 96k miles. Yes it may put added stress on the engine but if done correctly it will still be within safety limits. Service history of the car and how it was driven will be more of a factor in the longevity of the engine than a remap.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    takman wrote: »
    If you got BMW to restore the ECU software to standard then if the DFP has been removed it will show a fault code, what fault codes does the car have?. Or you could simply remove the DPF casing and look inside and you will soon see if it has been gutted or not.

Also a remap done correctly will not damage the car in any way and certainly not on a car that has only done 96k miles. Yes it may put added stress on the engine but if done correctly it will still be within safety limits. Service history of the car and how it was driven will be more of a factor in the longevity of the engine than a remap.

Those were my thoughts, the remap was just as likely done to eliminate the fault code(s) and potential engine management light showing caused by the gutting of the DPF as to improve performance. Anyway the standard map on most vehicles is extremely conservative, especially with vehicles being built for global markets with various quality fuels etc. around the world.

As long as the vehicle passes the MOT smoke test I wouldn't be concerned and at least the OP will avoid costly future DPF faults if it hasn't got one.:D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Anyway the standard map on most vehicles is extremely conservative, especially with vehicles being built for global markets with various quality fuels etc. around the world.

This. The 2L engine in my MK3 Mazda MX5 is actually a Ford unit. When in a Ford it produces 140BHP, in the MX5 it produces 158BHP.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Tarambor wrote: »
    This. The 2L engine in my MK3 Mazda MX5 is actually a Ford unit. When in a Ford it produces 140BHP, in the MX5 it produces 158BHP.

It was the same when the 250 bhp Volvo engine from the T5 was put into the ST Focus at 230 bhp.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure