Bald tyres on a car

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kmb500 wrote: »
    Eh, from my brother's side of the story I am with him. He was just standing outside his parked car on an empty street, waiting to pick up some friends, and the police officers were asking him what he's doing. He told them it's none of their business and he had a right to be there, and that prompted them to act like absolute !!!!!!!!s. Last time I checked its not a crime to stop your car late at night. Guess they had nothing better to do than to bully a 17 year old new driver.

As I said, failed the attitude test.

Bet you a tenner what he told you was not what he actually said. Lurking around a car on an empty street flags up suspicious behaviour like he might be trying to break in. If he simply said he was there to pick up a friend and was getting some fresh air and was polite they'd have let him go. Soon as you give lip to the police they'll be on your case.

Oh and yeah, police protecting the public from a car that wasn't legal and safe
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Eh, from my brother's side of the story I am with him. He was just standing outside his parked car on an empty street, waiting to pick up some friends, and the police officers were asking him what he's doing. He told them it's none of their business and he had a right to be there, and that prompted them to act like absolute !!!!!!!!s. Last time I checked its not a crime to stop your car late at night. Guess they had nothing better to do than to bully a 17 year old new driver.

If he'd simply said he was waiting to pick up some friends he would have saved himself some hassle. Hopefully lesson learned.

:T
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If he'd simply said he was waiting to pick up some friends he would have saved himself some hassle. Hopefully lesson learned.

:T
    Shouldn't have to though, the police do not have a right to know your personal information unless there's a reason, they can't just ask you anything and you have to answer them. We don't live in a police state. I would do the same albeit probably in a more polite manner than my brother.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Shouldn't have to though, the police do not have a right to know your personal information unless there's a reason, they can't just ask you anything and you have to answer them. We don't live in a police state. I would do the same albeit probably in a more polite manner than my brother.

They were only asking him what he was doing and he replied in a rude and defensive manner saying "it's none of their business and he had a right to be there".
    Yes your right he didn't have to tell them but there is nothing wrong with the police asking and i think the police should do more of it if people look like they are up to no good.

I bet if someone had caused damage to your car and the police had just walked past them a few minutes before and didn't say anything to them you would soon be complaining!.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Absolutely agree that you shouldn't (and, in fact, don't) "have to".

But, if you want to invoke your right to not tell them then it pays to be absolutely 100% certain that you're not, in fact, doing anything wrong at the time such as driving round on a below-limit tyre.

Essentially, if you insist on your (legitimate) right to make their job harder then they're perfectly entitled to insist on their (legitimate) duty to enforce the law to the letter.
  • straggler
    straggler Posts: 119 Forumite
    Tread doesn't affect the "structural integrity" of the tyre. The sidewall, yes absolutely, but not the tread.

The two things are simply not related. One does not affect the other. They are both affected by use, obviously, but they are not the same.

The rules on tread are very silly imo, I really can't see why you aren't allowed slick tyres, but them's the rules I suppose.

My brothewas once in town and managed to insult a police officer, the officer then spent 15 minutes checking every single little thing on his car until he found something to issue a fine with; he found one of the tyres was only 1.5mm tread, and fined him and forced him to get the car towed home.

Tyres are designed to be run with tread. Running without tread risks overheating and catastrophic failure. But you are welcome to find this out the hard way.....

Why aren't you allowed to drive on slick tyres? Is that a serious question?!
  • straggler
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    It doesn't matter whether or not there's "much of an industry" (which is mainly down to the availability of cheap Chinese brands pushing them out of the market). What matters is that there is an industry - it even has it's own industry association right here in the UK:

http://retreaders.org.uk/retreading/questions-answered/

You can, if you wish, buy remoulds up to V rated (149mph) from plenty of Uk suppliers:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=v+rated++remould&tbm=shop&*

Perhaps you haven't done your research before posting so. in case you weren't aware, remoulds are made from tyres which have already worn out their original tread. If the carcass was designed to "wear out" at the same point then they wouldn't be allowed.

It really is as simple as that.

You are clearly not going to believe anything I say. Even if I told you what I do for a living you would probably insist that you are still right. So what I suggest you do is contact Michelin, Bridgestone or similar and ask them about the risk of overheating and failure, structural integrity and their technical opinion of remoulding/retreading, the chemical reactions that happen in tyres over time etc.

Or you could take your car with its bald tyres to a track day and thrash around for a bit. Don't forget to book a recovery truck to take you home......
  • straggler

If the police had asked him what he was doing and he'd told them he probably wouldn't even have been asked for his personal information.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    straggler wrote: »
    You are clearly not going to believe anything I say. Even if I told you what I do for a living ...

No, you telling me that really wouldn't make much of a difference, and neither would the partisan line of manufacturers with a vested interest in selling new tyres.

The facts are quite simple. If those makers could provide solid evidence that the risks of retreading a tyre carcass were unacceptable then remoulds would be illegal.

They're not only legal throughout the world, the US actually requires federal vehicles to use them when available under EO 13149.

As for your last bit, where have I (seriously) advocated continuing to run on tyres with worn out tread without remoulding first?
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Shouldn't have to though, the police do not have a right to know your personal information unless there's a reason, they can't just ask you anything

They pretty much can. But you don't have to answer..
    We don't live in a police state. I would do the same albeit probably in a more polite manner than my brother.

It's what Police officers call the "attitude test"
    If you are cheeky or aren't compliant, don't be surprised if they start going over the car with a fine toothcomb until they find something wrong...and they usually do
    All your base are belong to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport