Never rains but it pours. ESA stopped.

Options

Comments

• Not_Me
    Not_Me Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Nightmare, took until today to get an appointment for the CAB, i went there and they looked at my paperwork and said you don't live in Solihull, i said no i live just the other side of the sign which is classed as Birmingham, but the CAB office is 5 minutes away and far closer than any other address they have.

Sorry we are only funded for Solihull residents, They gave me the address for one in the City which i cannot goto, far too much walking from the nearest parking spot. And parking is so expensive also.

Short on time now so had to try the local residents association, who may not be the experts but i think if i pester you guys some more and then get their views i think i should be OK.

Many Thanks for the help so far. And a little grovel for a bit more help in the future.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Where are you in the appeals process?

What is the date on the ESa decision letter refusing you the benefit?

Have you written the MR request?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you tried contacting the City CAB? They may have some sort of outreach and/or know of another organisation that could help
  • Not_Me
    Options
    The phone call was on the 28th September, told verbally it stopped there and then. Letter arrived a few days later.

I have not written the MR request yet, i was hoping to get advice form the CAB before sending it off. Rather annoyed they didnt mention i was not in their area, even though i have used them before.

I tried the residents office who helped me with the PIP form, but it seems i am no longer that persons client and i need to goto the drop in centre and wait. Last time they gave me an interview. Is this a sign of budgets being stretched beyond limits?

I thought the CAB maybe better than the residents but time is of an essence now.

Thanks

PS will post some figures below from my ESA and just received JSA letter.
  • Not_Me
    Options
    ESA...
    Living Expenses.......................£114.85
    Extra Money partner is carer......£34.60
    Extra Money WRAG...................£29.05

Total.....................................£178.50

Minus carers allowance.............£62.10

Entitled to..............................£116.40

Weekly by Law............£195.40
    Living Expenses...........£114.85
    Extra Money Disabled....£45.95
    Extra Money Carer........£34.60

Takeaway...................£62.10 (carers allowance)

Entitled to..................£133.30

Anyone know if these figures are correct?

Is my PIP included in these figures?

We only received the carers allowance for less than 6 weeks
    before its all gone wrong again.

Thanks for your help.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not_Me wrote: »
    ESA...
    Living Expenses.......................£114.85
    Extra Money partner is carer......£34.60
    Extra Money WRAG...................£29.05

Total.....................................£178.50

Minus carers allowance.............£62.10

Entitled to..............................£116.40

Weekly by Law............£195.40
    Living Expenses...........£114.85
    Extra Money Disabled....£45.95
    Extra Money Carer........£34.60

Takeaway...................£62.10 (carers allowance)

Entitled to..................£133.30

Anyone know if these figures are correct?

Is my PIP included in these figures?

We only received the carers allowance for less than 6 weeks
    before its all gone wrong again.

Thanks for your help.
    PIP isn't included in these figures becuase it's a disability benefit and is paid seperately. I'm sorry i can't help with anything else.
  • NeilCr
    Options
    Not_Me wrote: »
    The phone call was on the 28th September, told verbally it stopped there and then. Letter arrived a few days later.

I have not written the MR request yet, i was hoping to get advice form the CAB before sending it off. Rather annoyed they didnt mention i was not in their area, even though i have used them before.

I tried the residents office who helped me with the PIP form, but it seems i am no longer that persons client and i need to goto the drop in centre and wait. Last time they gave me an interview. Is this a sign of budgets being stretched beyond limits?

I thought the CAB maybe better than the residents but time is of an essence now.

Thanks

PS will post some figures below from my ESA and just received JSA letter.

Okay. You've got four weeks from the date of the letter so you may have ten days to a fortnight to get the MR in. Have you tried ringing the City CAB as I suggested to see if they have any thoughts/ideas.

If you can't get any help do get the MR in, on time, anyway. Then you can sort out someone to help with the appeal if that becomes necessary.
  • Not_Me
    edited 19 October 2016 at 10:41AM
    Options
    Getting nowhere here. Cannot get through to the CAB phone number it just cycles recorded messages. It asks for a landline number in my area and then says no advisers and plays the messages, none of which mention ESA or appeals.

Tried the local association, but even though i was there almost 30 minutes before they open, they are only going to see 5 people and i was number 6.

List of CAB offices only shows Birmingham city centre, which i cannot get to, and my local one which wont help me because im on the wrong postcode even though they are only 3 miles away. How do i find the little places that used to exist?

The website doesnt seem to list them?

Thanks.

PS just found one that used to be fairly local and thought i was in luck, until i went on the main site account and they no longer have drop in sessions at that location.
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    I find the CAB works better if you have an appointment. Could you not find an office which can give you an appointment fairly quickly?
  • NeilCr
    edited 19 October 2016 at 2:24PM
    Options
    dktreesea wrote: »
    I find the CAB works better if you have an appointment. Could you not find an office which can give you an appointment fairly quickly?

Problem with that is that it has to be "in area". And the OP has found that Birmingham City is their area

I tried the number using Birmingham council's number to get me past the start message. As you say OP it says no advisers available. There was an option for finding other organisations who may be able to help you

I guess like many CABs they find it hard to get enough volunteers. Couple of choices I suppose OP. Keep trying or do you have a friend or neighbour who could go to the drop in and explain your situation. The CAB might then be able to give a steer on the right course of action

If nothing else do get the MR in on time

ETA. I see the Birmingham CAB twitter was saying they were having problems with their phones at the end of last week
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure