Warning - Brew It Yourself (aka The Online Shopping Co)

Options
Be very careful if you're tempted by the friendly looking website of Southend-based Brew It Yourself (aka the Online shopping Co).

Shortly before Christmas I placed an order with this firm, who duly sent me the wrong goods.

Unfortunately, BIY is one of those up to the minute web businesses that only to wants your money. If things go wrong, they've made it next to impossible to contact them to get redress.

BIY refuse to accept e-mails, claiming they can't cope with the volume of spam they receive. They have an answerphone-only telephone system that doesn't take messages and is proud of it (you get a message telling you to use their website to contact them) and yet the website has no obvious contact mechanism.

In other words, BIY are happy to take you money, but if they get your order wrong, you're stuck.

Fortunately, inside my wrongly packed box was someone else's order - complete with their invoice showing a mobile phone number, which I called.

Enter another equally irate Brew It Yourself customer who had received exactly the same shoddy treatment and was wondering what to do. Mercifully, she had received my order, so we concluded that as it was impossible to get any sense out of these geniuses, we would arrange to meet and swap boxes.

It cost us each a 40 minute drive to meet halfway, but at least she got her order and I got mine.

Brew It Yourself? Seems they couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery!

Comments

• Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    I think there has been a couple of threads about these lot over the last few weeks
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    It cost us each a 40 minute drive to meet halfway...
    Bet you didn't know you were signing up to a dating agency too. :)
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Humm ive had a friend order stuff from them and he's been very happy.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mankysteve wrote: »
    Humm ive had a friend order stuff from them and he's been very happy.

So was I when they got my first order right.

But just wait till they get one wrong!

Since posting earlier, I've read the other MSE users' comments about this bunch of imbeciles.

I hope Southend TS gets on their case - though I won't be holding my breath.
  • dfh
    dfh Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Options
    It must have been love..............
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dfh wrote: »
    It must have been love..............

No, sadly, it wasn't a Richard Curtis script.

Just as well, as I took Mrs Badger with me!
  • ruralskinflint
    Options
    I've dealt with these guys a couple of times in the past and been really happy (things turned up quickly and only paid for what I got etc)

However, earlier in the week I ordered a new pressure barrel and after that when back into my account to see that the item was still in my shopping basket - thinking that our slow broadband had messed up, I ordered again - so OK I made a mistake.

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to cancel an order with this shower - the only way (they say) is by snail mail. I received the first order within 2 working days but now the second order says that the item is out of stock. I have sent a letter by road and we will see what happens, however I wish I'd read these before ordering.

Thankfully my order was about £50 so if all else fails and the second item gets delivered, look out for a new top tap pressure barrel on ebay!!!!

AVOID AT ALL COSTS
  • ArferDaly
    ArferDaly Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know this is an old thread.
    But I was in an earlier one on the same subject that disappeared.

Another warning if you use there forum do not put anything about bad service as I just got banned,as I am sure my fellow posters did.

Mark :mad:
  • skywoman
    Options
    I have used this company for quite a few years and had been satisfied until recently. I place an order in July 2011, part of the order was out of stock so could not be delivered. I was given many new delivery dates. I managed to get them to cancel the order, which they did, however I have not recieved the refund which they told me would take 28 days to complete. The 28 days passed over two weeks ago. I have contacted them through their online procedure and have had several replies all asking for information which they already have on their website. I have made several request for this refund and supplied the information several times. It is clear they do not intend to give back the money.

:mad: Please do learn from my experience and don't use this company.
  • Gastomagic
    Options
    I ordered items from BIY in April. They still haven't arrived and i get a fortnightly e-mail pushing the dates of delivery out again. I've sent letters to cancel the order and also complained to Essex trading standards...who were useless. Has anyone had similar experiences? This goes against the Sale of Goods Act. I've seen other threads online that suggest i am not alone. Can something be done...short of me turning up to their doorstep in Essex?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure