How to make up the difference between benefits and bills

Options

Comments

• Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    It is not how much he costs you in terms of food. He is costing you the rent on a 3 bed house which has to be more than £30 per week. Either he starts to pay you a realistic share of the rent or he finds his own place allowing you to downsize.

Actually he's not costing them a penny in rent. They'll get the full LHA for a three bed property, there's no non dependent deduction because they're in receipt of PIP.

The costs of the adult child would be pretty low - food, a small amount for additional utilities (he's not going to use any more heating or lighting than already used). Given that without him there they would only be entitled to the two bedroom rate, then even in a two bed property it's quite possible they'd be worse off without him there.

(That's not to say that he shouldn't pay more, but a realistic share of the rent and council tax would be around £55 a month.)
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bogalot wrote: »
    Actually he's not costing them a penny in rent. They'll get the full LHA for a three bed property, there's no non dependent deduction because they're in receipt of PIP.

The costs of the adult child would be pretty low - food, a small amount for additional utilities (he's not going to use any more heating or lighting than already used). Given that without him there they would only be entitled to the two bedroom rate, then even in a two bed property it's quite possible they'd be worse off without him there.

(That's not to say that he shouldn't pay more, but a realistic share of the rent and council tax would be around £55 a month.)

the OP has to pay in excess of £140 a month to top up the rent of a 3 bed house.
    he may be able to get a 2 bed house nearer the LHA rate, or at least not that much over it
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do you really need the mutability car? You could save a fair few quid getting rid of that.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your pets must cost quite a bit each month ? If you could take a part time job, ask your son to look for a better paid job and look to rehome the dog and 2 cats it might help. I know people are attached to their pets but if you can't afford them then it's silly to struggle on. It might also help you find cheaper accomodation as you've mentioned it's hard to find somewhere when you have pets.

How old is the teenager ? My teenager got a job as soon as she got her NI number, i don't take any money from her but it helps that she doesn't have to ask me for money now if she wants anything.
  • Neffi1uk
    Neffi1uk Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2017 at 10:41PM
    Options
    You will be losing housing benefit because you have an adult non dependent in the property, your working son, and a fixed deduction based on his earnings is made from both your housing benefit and council tax support.

I would imagine that his £30 housekeeping doesn't cover that shortfall and you need to have a conversation with him about the cost to you of him living at home with you. Mind you if he leaves you will then be deemed to be unde occupying your home and your housing benefit will be reduced by 14%, so you won't be a great deal better off.

Correcting myself, there no NDD due to the PIP award. Is your rent over the LHA for your area?
  • Neffi1uk
    Options
    Thank you for pointing that out. Funnily enough I can read.

You'd be surprised at how often I see a client who thinks they get one thing, and call it that, but in fact get something different. When giving advice, as I do for a living, I find it best to gain absolute clarity before proceeding.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Neffi1uk wrote: »
    You will be losing housing benefit because you have an adult non dependent in the property, your working son, and a fixed deduction based on his earnings is made from both your housing benefit and council tax support.

I would imagine that his £30 housekeeping doesn't cover that shortfall and you need to have a conversation with him about the cost to you of him living at home with you. Mind you if he leaves you will then be deemed to be unde occupying your home and your housing benefit will be reduced by 14%, so you won't be a great deal better off.

Correcting myself, there no NDD due to the PIP award. Is your rent over the LHA for your area?

Isn't that only if they're in social housing? The OP isn't clear but I read it that they're in a private rental. So the reduction would be the difference between two and three bad LHA, not necessarily a fixed 14%.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 March 2017 at 2:43AM
    Options
    I'm surprised that the authorities reckon that two siblings of the same sex need a separate room when 16 years old, as many of us grew up sharing a room with a brother or sister until one of us left home and it wasn't a great problem.

Even 'posh' people who go to boarding school have to 'slum it' by sharing a dorm with a number of others (not just a brother or sister) and there's no legislation against that situation..
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My question is simple: How is one expected to survive off benefits when they do not pay the full amount of the expenditure they're meant to cover?
    The issue is 'meant to cover'. As already stated, the benefits you receive are not meant to cover the extra that your adult son is costing you nor your pets. Pets are a luxury. OH and I have been getting very broody for a dog lately, but we both work, and it wouldn't be fair on a dog to be at home alone for hours, so we do without.

Your situation must be frustrating, but the issue is that of making choices in terms of your lifestyle in accordance with your budget which is what everyone has to make. The issue is not with the amount of benefit you receive, which as it's been pointed is more than than some working people get.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sell the pets - or use them as a food source if things get desperate.

I'm sorry, that is a horrible thing to say. Have things got so bad that the very people who are supposed to help those in trouble suggested eating their pets?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure