PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate agent removing all listings from Zoopla then putting them on

I noticed today an estate agent has taking their properties off and then putting this back on zoopla so they come back up as just added.
Obviously this is so they appear more recent but I haven't seen other agents do it before so why would they be doing it?

Comments

• MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Maybe so they come up as just added?
  • MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Which appear at the top of search results........ Incase it wasn't obvious?
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Maybe there should be a law against it. If "just added" has the innuendo meaning of "it hasn't been sitting around for ages with no interest", that would be misleading.

E.g. For a shop to offer something as "50% off !" it has to have been offered for sale at the higher price, for a specified time ; else they could put a sign for 30 seconds after opening each morning, saying "All goods are double the marked amount", then claim "Sale 50 % off".

Have a word with Trading Standards if you feel strongly, they are sometimes waiting for enough complaint ( on misbehaviour collectively ) to trigger a visit.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Example #453 of MSE poster answering their own question:
    Lamy wrote: »
    why would they be doing it?
    so they come back up as just added.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    Maybe there should be a law against it. If "just added" has the innuendo meaning of "it hasn't been sitting around for ages with no interest", that would be misleading.

E.g. For a shop to offer something as "50% off !" it has to have been offered for sale at the higher price, for a specified time ; else they could put a sign for 30 seconds after opening each morning, saying "All goods are double the marked amount", then claim "Sale 50 % off".

Have a word with Trading Standards if you feel strongly, they are sometimes waiting for enough complaint ( on misbehaviour collectively ) to trigger a visit.

The reduced prices example is a specific regulation though. Other tactics are legal, and I'm not aware of there even being an implied requirement that anyone ought to disclose that a property has been previously marketed.
  • Lamy_2
    Lamy_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Sorry I should have been clearer, why don't all agents do it then?
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sorry I should have been clearer, why don't all agents do it then?

I guess because some EAs think it helps sell properties, whereas other EAs don't think so.

For example, you've spotted the 'trick', so perhaps now you will think that EAs who use that 'trick' are not trustworthy, so you might tend to avoid them.

Some EAs may decide not to use the 'trick' for that reason.
  • Lamy_2
    Lamy_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    eddddy wrote: »
    I guess because some EAs think it helps sell properties, whereas other EAs don't think so.

For example, you've spotted the 'trick', so perhaps now you will think that EAs who use that 'trick' are not trustworthy, so you might tend to avoid them.

Some EAs may decide not to use the 'trick' for that reason.
    Pretty stupid trick if you ask me because about 10 properties from one agent all come up as listed today when in the last week about 3 properties have been listed in total...
  • It is a trick - but, unfortunately, a common one.

One of my little "hobbies" is watching the "unwantable" type houses in this area that hang on the market for literally years having this sort of thing done by EAs. Or, on the other hand, the owner themselves taking them off the market for a few weeks/few months and then placing them back on again.

Wrong all round - but that's how many EA's function and a few buyers.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    It is a trick - but, unfortunately, a common one.

One of my little "hobbies" is watching the "unwantable" type houses in this area that hang on the market for literally years having this sort of thing done by EAs. Or, on the other hand, the owner themselves taking them off the market for a few weeks/few months and then placing them back on again.

Wrong all round - but that's how many EA's function and a few buyers.

Why is it wrong? I can see it as a way of reviving interest in the property and getting new buyers to notice it. If it is not worth the asking price it won't get that price, no matter how long it has been on the market. And if it's the house you want at a price you want to pay, then why does it matter how long it has been on the market? You might not have been in a position to buy it last week.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure