IVA and inheritance - advice please

I'm just about to sign up for an IVA - in the future I may come into an inheritance - would I be forced to use that money to pay off my creditors?

Comments

• ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    More than likely, yes!
    :p
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi

If you received the inheritance while the IVA was still running it would be classed as a windfall and would have to be paid towards your debts, as Beanie says. If you weren’t in an IVA at the time of receiving inheritance you could potentially try making full and final settlement offers with the lump sum.

Have you taken any independent advice on whether an IVA is a good option for you at the moment? If you haven’t already done so I recommend contacting one of the free debt advice charities for a second opinion.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    leninspot wrote: »
    I'm just about to sign up for an IVA - in the future I may come into an inheritance - would I be forced to use that money to pay off my creditors?

Yes and rightly so too.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • I would seriously consider all options before entering an IVA. I was previously in one and it was horrific. I felt the firm pushed me into this solution without discussing other options that were available.
  • DON'T do an IVA.

Speaking from experience, I signed up for this option and it was the biggest mistake I made.

After 2 years of paying into it, the IVA company I used mostly paid themselves first before paying off my debts.

After the 2nd year review they wanted to up my payments which I couldn't afford so I told them where to go.

I feel they did this to make the IVA unaffordable.

It also affects your credit rating.

Are any of your debts before April 2007?

The reason I ask is that there is a lot of agreements made before this date that are potentially unenforceable.

I had 4 debts under my IVA.

1 debtor admitted there was no agreement (which made to debt invalid), 2 where with the Halifax and they couldn't come up with valid agreements which were improperly executed.

The other claimed to have had deed of assingment but never showed it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure