PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I can see that there would probably be no problem giving a man O type blood of any type but with women haven't you got rhesus antibodies to worry about? Wish I understood it a bit better. Anyway the blood donation people are like vampires for DD2's blood
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    I can see that there would probably be no problem giving a man O type blood of any type but with women haven't you got rhesus antibodies to worry about? Wish I understood it a bit better. Anyway the blood donation people are like vampires for DD2's blood
    :D Used to know a girl at college with a very rare type, A Rh neg (I think, this was a lot of years ago). Vampires positively swooned with excitement when they got her in.

Off to play wiv bows & arrows for a while - laters. x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Although "I told you I was ill" has a certain appeal as it might actually do for the hypochondriac.

Isn't "I told you I was ill" carved on Spike Milligan's gravestone?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    A Rh neg

I'm A Rh Pos.

Don't know how common/rare that is.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Isn't "I told you I was ill" carved on Spike Milligan's gravestone?
    :) Yup.

I'm not planning to have a tombstone but one could have fun composing one's very own obituary. Mark Twain is one of the few people who got to read his own obit published after false reports of his death.

I think he sent someone a telegraph message saying that rumours of his death had been greatly exaggerated.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They weren't allowed to put it on Spike's grave in the end - but there was a compromise and it is in Gaelic.

I am B+ blood wise, which is fairly rare, and have donated gallons in the past. I got a silver award. Unfortunately I don't give it easily and it put me off - I should go back.

OH is A+ so the children could be anything at all that's positive. Neither of them knows.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Back in the days when I had a string of au pairs to pick the DDs up from school I used to joke they would carve on my tombstone "She taught half the eighteen year olds in Europe how to iron a shirt"!!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2017 at 8:07PM
    Options
    I and a couple of my daughters are A positive donors but A negative recipients. Goodness knows what that means!
    (Or is it the other way round - I forget!)
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 March 2017 at 8:33PM
    Options
    We had a lass at Uni with some remarkable blood type. It got to the stage where the first couple of days each couple of months she'd leave a log of where she was going - and someone would have to use it and send her off to the sports fields for the helicopter. The onboard vampires fetched her, drained as much as they dared, topped her back up & returned her with strict warnings to go gently & above all stay out of traffic accidents.

But then her type ran to about six characters - which meant whoever needed a refill was usually a surgical appointment with special sources on standby.

Come TEOTWAWKI, I suspect blood donations will have a cash price & a healthy black market. (Remind me to ram a child through medical school, and equip a discreet lab? Or is that getting a bit Bond Villain?)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Makes me glad to have a "common or garden" blood type here.:rotfl:

Though I don't know which of the two variants of O that I am. I just remember thinking words to effect of "That's just as well then" when I heard the word "O" used about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure