Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I get 1.5% on my DCWW bill if paid in fill on 1 April instead of monthly over 10 months - which is the DD rate.

To ensure I have this money available on 1 April without dipping into my savings my monthly water bill (for 10 months) is £44.66, which I won't be paying in Feb and March - £89
    I won't be paying Council Tax in Feb and March £354.
    Total 443.32 which is about how much my annual water bill is, ready to pay on 1 April. I can then put £36 per month aside for the next 12 months to be ready for 1 April 2017. Thereby having about £10 extra a month for other things.

I am not sure if you are joking or serious!

If you are serious then you have a serious case of creative accounting!

Your 1.5% saving on your water bill for paying 'up front' on 01 April would have saved you £6.70 a year.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 March 2016 at 8:31AM
    tips

wash the car when it rains & the rain rinses the car
    collect leftover boiling water in kettle for later
    fill bottles at mates who has no water meter!!
    collect excess water in pipes when running hot water to water plants/fill kettle/soak washing up
    re-use hot water bottle water for house plants
    pay direct debit for bill on santander account get cashback
  • We keep a water butt in the bath to catch the water that runs cold before getting into the shower. It's cold for 30+ seconds before it reaches a reasonable temperature. The water saved is used to wash up (boiled first in an old kettle), pet drinking water, water the plants, etc. We save the water from the condenser dryer too (we don't give that to the pets as it may have detergents in it). The small electricity cost increase to heat the water is off set by the huge water cost saving, and we're helping the environment in not being water-wasters.
    :A
  • Thank-you Martin and team for continuing to save us money. You have been a great help over the years.:money:
    Unfortunately, in this particular instance I have to disagree with the advice provided on water meters.
    When we moved home we automatically had a meter fitted, despite my protestations - I had two young children and a baby.
    The water company (for the Bedfordshire area) LIED to us, stating that it was legislation forcing them to fit water meters. I actually checked on this and legislation had been passed to offer the water companies the option. My understanding is that the water companies were then leaned on to fit meters, but it was still not compulsory, contrary to the LIE that I was told by their customer services.
    My water costs shot up!
    If we are forced into privatisation of our water source (something that, unlike mobile phones, we really cannot do without) then we at least ought to be offered competition. My own view is that this was a cynical attempt by greedy businessmen to profiteer out of an essential service. I bet a pound to a penny that the majority of politicians have shares in the various water companies - Kerrrchhinnng!
    I really feel that this is one area that the MSE collective out to be fighting on - a fairer system, including competition. I appreciate that providing clean water costs money, but disagree with the business model.
    Any thoughts?
    Please to be discriminated against by financial institutions. Thank-you for taking advantage of my Dyspraxia.:)
  • Cardew
    Davesquire wrote: »
    Thank-you Martin and team for continuing to save us money. You have been a great help over the years.:money:
    Unfortunately, in this particular instance I have to disagree with the advice provided on water meters.
    When we moved home we automatically had a meter fitted, despite my protestations - I had two young children and a baby.
    The water company (for the Bedfordshire area) LIED to us, stating that it was legislation forcing them to fit water meters. I actually checked on this and legislation had been passed to offer the water companies the option. My understanding is that the water companies were then leaned on to fit meters, but it was still not compulsory, contrary to the LIE that I was told by their customer services.
    My water costs shot up!
    If we are forced into privatisation of our water source (something that, unlike mobile phones, we really cannot do without) then we at least ought to be offered competition. My own view is that this was a cynical attempt by greedy businessmen to profiteer out of an essential service. I bet a pound to a penny that the majority of politicians have shares in the various water companies - Kerrrchhinnng!
    I really feel that this is one area that the MSE collective out to be fighting on - a fairer system, including competition. I appreciate that providing clean water costs money, but disagree with the business model.
    Any thoughts?

Several thoughts!

Firstly The Water Act that brought in metering was, and is, a disaster in many respects. Not least that the companies are in a win/win situation - which has been reflected in their ever increasing share price.

The Water Act made meters compulsory for all new properties in April 1990 and the aim was that eventually all existing properties would be metered.

The Act contained a concession that existing properties could elect to remain charged on the basis of their Rateable Value(RV) but water companies could insist on a meter being fitted on change of occupant. Some companies enforced that provision - others didn't bother.

The RV of a property was calculated on the notional rent(not value) it could command when last assessed - which for most properties was in 1973(or up to 1990 for properties built after 1973)

The RV assessment was an archaic system that depended on size, location and modernisation of property(e.g. Central heating, modern bathroom/kitchen, garage etc.).

The Water Act also decreed that any substantial improvement to the property, that would have affected its RV should entail a meter fitted. Naturally owners did not bother notifying the water companies, and the water companies don't bother checking; so properties continue to be charged on a RV that is often a nonsense. I have posted before that I know of an old cottage with a peppercorn RV, that was demolished and a huge 7 bedroomed house built - with full planning permission - and it still retains the same RV.

You need to understand how water companies have their finances controlled by the Regulator(Ofwat). Under a 5 year plan companies can raise £XXX million and make £yy million profit provided they meet certain targets.

The reason water companies largely didn't bother the enforce meter in older houses was that it made no difference to the revenue they could raise. If you, and thousands of others, continued to pay less on RV rates, then they can raise charges for metered customers to compensate - a cross-subsidy.

The surely can be no justification for you(and thousands of others) to remain on RV based rates potentially using unlimited amounts of water simply on the basis of a 1973 rental valuation.

The costs water companies incur is governed by the commitment placed upon them by the Regulator. This is why the South West with a large area and long coastline and relatively low population pay up to 3 times as much as other areas. Competition will do little to reduce those costs.
  • cazscash
    cazscash Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 14 May 2017 at 10:59AM
    Had a water meter fitted about 9 months ago. 2 people in a 3 bed semi. Bill has gone from £57 per month to £21. We use a water butt in the back garden as much as possible and keep a small bucket in bathroom to catch the cold shower water, we collect a bucket a day and water the garden with it.
    Worth persuing if you're in a similar situation.
    Also received a cheque as they took too long to install it had to chase it up 3 times.
  • catus
    catus Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Is there any easy way to compare prices?

Than
    ks
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    catus wrote: »
    Is there any easy way to compare prices?

Than
    ks

Go onto the website of your water company and you should find a link to a site which asks questions like 'How many rooms? Type of property ? How many occupants ? Do you have a garden ? How often are baths,showers taken ? How often is a dishwasher or washing machine used ?'

You can also ring them, with your account number and address, from which they will tell you how much they think you will save. (I found the latter as I had to ring to ask the RV they were using)

On the questions website, I did one survey using silly data like using the washing machine every day (just two of us) and washing 4 cars a week, then a realistic one and even the first meant a good saving.

Severn Trent's estimate was just based on two adults living in a semi in the specific zone in their area and was beaten by the two in depth estimates, but still offered a good saving.

We have had the meter for a week now and I'm amazed at how little water we have used, though no car has been washed, the garden pots weren't watered (rainy,but they are the sump type) and the washing machine was only used once (there is washing waiting but not enough for a load of one type).

We have been doing the over the top on save,though, like not flushing after a wee in the night(saves waking partner, anyway), using the first mug from the hot tap in a tooth brush mug and saving water from the kitchen tap for houseplants (always have a plant waterer in the kitchen anyway, so this is the best time to fill it).

Usage will go up, slightly, when the new kitchen is fitted as the present dishwasher is broken so dishes are bowl washed, then drained in the dishwasher. There's also the fish tank to top up (always have used it's old water for plant tubs, because of all the nutrients in it) , cars to wash and two little dogs to bath (but not often as they are quite old one doesn't like water).

I don't fancy the idea of a water butt as they take up space and involve interfering with a downspout.
  • Cardew
    teddysmum wrote: »
    etc etc.
    ++

Catus was enquiring about
    Business water comparison

Larger businesses have a choice!

https://www.businesselectricityprices.org.uk/water-prices/
  • If you are not able to have a water meter fitted because you live in a block of flats you may not know that Thames Water also offer a single occupancy tariff. I have just received £400 rebate as they didn't tell me about this tariff and I had it backdated to when I first enquired about having a meter fitted. Other providers may offer similar tariffs to those who live alone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback