HSBC 1.99% 5yr fixed - change or not

Options
We have a big mortgage of over 300k, and currently on life time tracker with HSBC, which is 1.49%+BOE. Saw the news that HSBC has just released new low 5 yr fixed rate product at 1.99%, which is the same as what we are paying now.. ok, aparte from the high arrangment fee of £1,500.

So tempted to switch to fixed. God knows what's to happen with the economic / mortgage in the coming months & years. It seems to be dropping from winter last year every single month.

What do people think ?

Comments

• sebtomato
    sebtomato Posts: 1,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Check if they don't have loyalty deals for existing customers. I know First Direct have fee-free deals for their current mortgage customers.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 April 2015 at 12:22PM
    Options
    No-one can tell you what to do because no-one knows what interest rates will do.

How long will it take for the £1,500 to be worth it, if interest rates rise?

Use this page: http://www.theguardian.com/money/mortgage-calculator

If I assume your mortgage is £320k over 20 years (total guesses), your current repayments with your 1.99% tracker mortgage are £1,617. They'd be the same initially on the fix.

If they increase the rate once (by 0.25%) your repayment goes up to £1,655, or £38 per month. It would take 3.5 years for you to recoup the £1,500 arrangement fee. Half that if the base rate increases by 0.5%.

It's simply a gamble, and you make your choice based on your guess about where interest rates will go. In five years time, whichever option you choose, you may be better or worse off, financially.

The biggest question may be how comfortable you are with your current repayments and how scared you are of them increasing. You might want to switch for the certainty.

For what it's worth, we're on the same HSBC lifetime tracker as you and we're not going to fix. I take low fixed rates as an indication that the economists who work at HSBC don't think interest rates are going to increase much anytime soon. :) But our monthly budget is pretty relaxed - we can easily afford it if rates increase - so we can be relaxed about it.
  • gemma.zhang
    gemma.zhang Posts: 381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the link. Will take a look.
    I understand what you mean. It does look like rates are not to rise soon or steeply in the next 5 years. It's like paying 24/month to buy an insurance for the next 5 years, such a gamble game :)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have a 40% deposit?
  • gemma.zhang
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Do you have a 40% deposit?

Yes, I do.
  • SamDude
    SamDude Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    After the 5 years are up, the £1500 'insurance' will have lapsed and you may be in a worse (or better, but less likely) position with the interest rate.

I would stick with the tracker and if you have the £1500 available for the arrangement fee, put it aside and collect the 2/3%+ interest on it.

I have the same 1.49%+BOE tracker with HSBC and intend to stick with it.
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Look at offers with no arrangement fee. The interest rate may be higher but only slightly.
    You don't save a great deal in money over the term of the deal by paying this high fee!
  • marathonic
    marathonic Posts: 1,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pinkdalek wrote: »
    Look at offers with no arrangement fee. The interest rate may be higher but only slightly.
    You don't save a great deal in money over the term of the deal by paying this high fee!

0.5% of £300,000 is £1,500 so if such a mortgage holder is saving 0.5% per year over a 5 year term, then there's a significant saving to be gained by paying the high fee. Even 0.2% - 0.3% lower rates would make the high fee worthwhile.

I do agree that it gets less worthwhile with lower mortgage amounts but, at £300,000 a high fee with a low rate will almost always beat no fee with a higher rate.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Fill in the correct info

to do the today compare you add/remove the fees and look what rates make the payment/end amount the same.

so lets go with £300k over 20 1.99% fees £1500 paying aprox £1517

take the fix and pay the fees or stay on tracker and pay the fees off the debt.

paying £1517
    £300000 @ 1.990% in 5 years £235,739
    £298500 @ 2.108% in 5 years £235,734

if rates don't move for 2 years

£298500 @ 1.99% over 2 years £273,499
    £273499 @ 2.20% over 3 years £235,740

So a single 0.25 rise in the first 2 years will make the fix come out better
    (leave it to the reader to do years 3 and 4)

Which is not that surprising.

If rates dont move for 5 years
    £300000 @ 1.99% in 5 years £235,739
    £298500 @ 1.99% in 5 years £234,083

The move to the fix could cost you upto £1656.

remember the OP numbers will be different

Follow on rates will be the key to this decision

Will there be trackers/fixes that can compete with a base+1.49% in 5 years time.
  • gemma.zhang
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    That's very true. Once there is one/two rate rise. All the fixed rate product will be more expensive, tracker rate would be cheaper.

It's difficult choice here. I will wait for a while to see if other lenders are following suite or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure