Ugg Boots from £62 delivered

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
Please also read the official MoneySavingExpert.com Daily Updated Guide on finding the Cheapest Uggs.
9 October 2007

What’s the deal with cheap Ugg Boots?

While trendy sheepskin Ugg boots typically cost over £170 on the high street, it’s possible to save heaps by ordering from Australian websites which deliver to the UK.

When is an Ugg not an Ugg?

Having done some digging, it appears that in Australia, the word Ugg is a generic term for sheepskin boots. So just because a pair of Ugg Boots isn’t made by “UGG® Australia” –the famous brand beloved by celebs such as Pammy Anderson – they aren’t necessarily fake.

Aussie folks have been making Ugg-style sheepskin boots for over a century. Many MoneySavers have given feedback that alternative brands such as Kiwi Sheepskins and Snug Australia can be just as snug and comfy as UGG Australia. Kiwi Sheepskins start from £50 inc delivery and Snug Australia from £62; so if you’re not fussed about the posh brand, these can be a baa-gain (sorry!).

How to check that boots are genuine UGG Australia

The famous UGG Australia brand is made by Deckers corporation. If that's what you're after there are ways to spot imposters.
  • UGG Australia boots have a large middle G on the logo, as seen on the Office website
  • They have real sheepskin fur inside; fakes often use synthentic
  • They are made in New Zealand, Australia, and more recently, China
  • If you want to check that a retailer is legit, email Deckers at [EMAIL="info@uggaustralia.com"][email protected][/EMAIL] and ask that retailer is licensed to sell UGG Australias
There's an interesting explanation of the history of the Ugg trademark on Wikipedia.

The cheapest supplier of 'genuine' Uggs

Update 17 December 07. Some MoneySavers have expressed concerns over the quality and legitimacy of Ugg Australia boots from one seller, Australia Direct. To investigate, we sent a pair of the suspected fake boots to Deckers, the company that owns Ugg Australia. They confirmed that they were indeed genuine, but were old stock from 2004.

Two suppliers which have had good reports from MoneySavers are Kiwi website hartings.co.nz and American site rei.com. Yet please read up to date feedback from MoneySavers on this thread before choosing a retailer.

How to pay

Using the right piece of plastic is the cheapest way... but make sure it's the right plastic, read the Spending Overseas article for details.

Credit cards are better than debit cards!

Spend on your credit card and you have more rights than you do on a debit card. This is all about Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act which makes the card provider jointly liable with the retailer if anything should go pear-shaped.

Up until recently this didn't apply to goods bought overseas but this was challenged so buy abroad and you are now protected. Pay for goods over £100 fully or partially on your credit card and if something goes wrong you can simply make a claim direct against the card provider without having to contact the retailer at all.

Don't forget to factor in customs charges and delivery times

If you're new to overseas shopping, remember that items can take longer to arrive than those bought in the UK; often two to three weeks. You’ll also have to pay customs duty on goods coming into the UK from non-EU countries. There a full explanation on customs charges in the Buy from the US article (while the article concentrates on the US, most of the info's still relevant when buying from any overseas website).
New to MoneySavingExpert.com?
This is an ad-free, free to use Consumer Revenge site all about saving money. The best way to keep in touch is with the free weekly e-mail which includes scores of bargains and top deals (and which this Ugg Boot note came from)

Martin

PS This post has been added to the discussion to give some a more detailed researched summary. Thank you very much to MoneySaver me4bargains for starting it off (see below).

threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• me4bargains
    me4bargains Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    My mate has just shown me an Australian website selling genuine Ugg boots for £52 + £10 postage.:j
    She wasn't subject to a custom charge either, tried hers on and I am in love!
    Just ordered a tall black pair before the price goes up again.

In additon you get a further $5 aus dollars (£1.60) off if you join their mailing list.

http://www.snugaustralia.com.au/

MoneySavingExpert.com Offical Note: Are these Ugg Boots Genuine?

We're currently researching whether these Ugg Boots are genuine and the definitions of it. That research will appear in the free weekly MoneySaving email which includes all the updated info (add yourself to the distrbution list)
    Third time lucky on WW I hope :j
    January: 13st 11lb :eek:, February: 13st 2.5lb, March: 12st 13lb, April: 12st 10.5lb, May: 12st 2lb, June: 12st 1lb, July: 12st 1lb, August: 11st 11lb, September: 11st 10.5lb, October: 11st 12.5lb, Currently 11st 8lb
  • beachlou
    beachlou Posts: 760 Forumite
    Thanks for this! I have just ordered the Classic Tall boots in Chestnut-also got the discount of £1.90. Can't wait for them to be delivered...gonna be needing them soon I think oif the weather continues like this!
  • Just a heads up to expect a nice fat bill from Customs for the import duty.
  • me4bargains
    kingdong wrote: »
    Just a heads up to expect a nice fat bill from Customs for the import duty.
    It clearly states in my post that my friend did not have to pay Custom duty and she has ordered from them twice.
    Read.
    January: 13st 11lb :eek:, February: 13st 2.5lb, March: 12st 13lb, April: 12st 10.5lb, May: 12st 2lb, June: 12st 1lb, July: 12st 1lb, August: 11st 11lb, September: 11st 10.5lb, October: 11st 12.5lb, Currently 11st 8lb
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you purchase goods through the Internet you should be aware that customs duty and VAT will be payable, as follows:
    • Customs duty - if the amount of duty is £7 and over.
    • Import VAT - if the value of the goods is £18 and over.
    Your friend was lucky. Parcels do slip through, but at £62 the parcel is liable for customs charges and in all probablility will be charged on entry to the country.

Also be aware that HM Customs can keep the parcel for 2 weeks or so whilst they calculate duty.
  • yenners
    yenners Posts: 341 Forumite
    thanks me4bargains - i've been wanting a pair of uggs but not willing to fork out over £100 for them.

yes, customs duty is a bit hit and miss, isn't it? your friend must have been lucky.
    Not buying clothes for a year - it's liberating!
  • ajdj
    ajdj Posts: 567
    Forumite
    Also be careful, they may be genuine 'Australia made' but they are not Genuine 'Ugg Australia' boots as sold in Selfridges and worn by celebrities world over. You will find it difficult to get such a big discount off the genuine article.
  • me4bargains
    ajdj wrote: »
    Also be careful, they may be genuine 'Australia made' but they are not Genuine 'Ugg Australia' boots as sold in Selfridges and worn by celebrities world over. You will find it difficult to get such a big discount off the genuine article.
    I saw them, they are genuine Ugg boots Labels everything. But thanks
    She had them delieverd by DHL is that she wasn't charged extra?
  • ajdj
    ajdj Posts: 567
    Forumite
    Oh, thats good then. Just a little suprised to not see them advertising the fact they are Ugg Australia. There are so many sites selling fakes or cheaper sheepkin versions that it is hard to tell sometimes.

My friend got hers from this site and they do advertise the fact they are an Ugg Australia stockist- http://aussiedirect.stores.yahoo.net/uggausran.html

I think this is the site i will be buying from as the Classic short works out to about £70 which is still a good saving on UK price and they are offering to pay your tax for you too. (They paid my friends which worked out to about £30 from memory).
  • me4bargains
    On the home page it says :'welcome to SNUG Australia
    the provider of genuine Australian made premium quality ugg boots and sheepskin footwear.'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure