anglia water don't keep there word

Hello to all . Does anybody think what is happening to me is unfair, unjust. Or even completely wrong. The story goes. . Yes I have a debt problem with anglian water. This I admit. But when you phone them after receiving a letter threatening you with court action.
Being disabled(suffering from parkinsons) finding the thought of this very distressing. I phoned anglian water and spoke to one of there agents. After a conversation with them and having found a receipt for a payment they could not find. And this money being allocated to my court account.
The phone call ended with me checking if i had done enough to stop the court action that i was being threatened with.
The agent stated to me "I have spoken to the legal department, and the court action has been stopped. " as this was on the 18th of December. The conversation finished with you can stop worrying and have a great Christmas. If you receive any further letters in respect of the court case to ignore them.

I have found that even though anglian water admit. Yes this was what I was told by their agent. I was miss informed. And that the court action is still going ahead.
I feel that at no point would one of their agents say this to me.
Unless they believe it to be true.

What do you think?
Are they in the wrong?
Are they in breach of a verbal contact?
any lawyers out there. Can you advise me

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    (Are they in breach of a verbal contact?)

What is a verbal contact ??
    Do you mean that the agent misinformed you . If so write a letter to them headed complaint .
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to the forum.

What do you have in writing?

There is no point in any of us trying to advise without knowing the full facts and what you want to happen.

You appear to acknowledge your debt to Anglian water; but as I understand it feel court action should be suspended?? postponed?? cancelled?? without giving reasons why this should happen, other than your understanding of a telephone conversation with a call centre operator.

I suggest you contact the Consumer Council for Water for their assistance. http://www.ccwater.org.uk/
  • Am getting anglian water to send me transcripts of the phone calls.

As this will confirm what I have stated. Do you legal eagles out there, think anglian water have acted appropriately. ?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    If indeed the operator you spoke to made a mistake, it is regrettable.

You seem to be under the impression that if a firm or a firm's employee makes a mistake then it cannot be corrected. That simply isn't so. Banks have mistakenly credited huge sums to wrong accounts and they simply correct that mistake.

In the same way if you mistakenly overpay an account you can reclaim.

However what isn't clear from either of your posts is your aim in trying to prove the operator made a mistake.

You admit you owe money to Anglian Water. What do you want them do now?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure