MSE News: Hotpoint tumble dryer help: 3 extra tricks to get you a refund

Comments

• Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    i8toys wrote: »
    You may be right, but then how come this has not happened to the previous driers (at least 4)?

The Charing of the plug & socket clearly matches up.

Tumble dyers use a lot of power and a poor connection in the socket will easily cause arcing. This poor connection can be in the plug, the socket or a poor fit between the two.

If it's the mounded plug that's at fault then it's down to Hotpoint, if it's the socket then it's your problem unfortunately.

An appliance plugged into a socket for years can cause a loose connection when removed.
  • Zandoni wrote: »
    Tumble dyers use a lot of power and a poor connection in the socket will easily cause arcing. This poor connection can be in the plug, the socket or a poor fit between the two.

If it's the mounded plug that's at fault then it's down to Hotpoint, if it's the socket then it's your problem unfortunately.

An appliance plugged into a socket for years can cause a loose connection when removed.

Thanks for your advice, but the socket is in an extension I had built 8 years ago. The electrics were installed by a professional. On the same twin plug socket is the washing machine without any problem, Charing or scorching of that side of the socket.

That tends to get unplugged more as I have replaced the brushes in the washing machine 3 times now.

I will know more after the technician has inspected it tomorrow. I will have to replace the plug socket anyway.
  • Zandoni
    I got this emai from Which, I've signed.

Our Whirlpool campaign is nearing a critical moment.

Thanks to Which? supporters we've propelled the petition to 93,000 signatures. But we now need to reach 100,000 signatures before Parliament is dissolved for the General Election.

If you have already signed the petition, thank you! We still need your help. Please forward this email to your friends and family and ask them to sign the Parliament petition.

We only need 7,000 more people to sign before Monday - please help by sharing the petition today > https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/169835/
  • I had a 7 year old Hotpoint Condenser Dryer (beginning to show its age) which was one of those affected by the risk of fire etc. Got a snotty letter from Hotpoint informing me they were aware I might have a faulty dryer and that I needed to register it to find out if it was a faulty one. They said I would not receive any more letters from them as I had already received 'countless ones before' telling me of the'small' risk and to contact them!! This was news to me as I had never received any such letters and only knew about the 'fault' from Martin's site!! Any way I went on line and registered my appliance and found it was a 'Faulty One' ! Thank s to Martin's Extra Tricks' I knew to to refuse a 'Modification' and went for a New Model instead paying £99 for a dryer worth £300 ! This was delivered in a week and old one taken away. Delivery chaps very polite and helpful making sure it was working properly etc. It is covered for 10yrs parts so I am very very happy!! Thank you to Martin and the Team xxxx
  • Zandoni
    I had a 7 year old Hotpoint Condenser Dryer (beginning to show its age) which was one of those affected by the risk of fire etc. Got a snotty letter from Hotpoint informing me they were aware I might have a faulty dryer and that I needed to register it to find out if it was a faulty one. They said I would not receive any more letters from them as I had already received 'countless ones before' telling me of the'small' risk and to contact them!! This was news to me as I had never received any such letters and only knew about the 'fault' from Martin's site!! Any way I went on line and registered my appliance and found it was a 'Faulty One' ! Thank s to Martin's Extra Tricks' I knew to to refuse a 'Modification' and went for a New Model instead paying £99 for a dryer worth £300 ! This was delivered in a week and old one taken away. Delivery chaps very polite and helpful making sure it was working properly etc. It is covered for 10yrs parts so I am very very happy!! Thank you to Martin and the Team xxxx
    Pretty good deal for such an old machine. The 10 years parts guarantee is pretty worthless though as the labour is ridiculous.

I've had loads of letters offering me the repair and I haven't even got a tumble dryer.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Zandoni wrote: »
    Pretty good deal for such an old machine.

But not as good as the free replacement brand new machine some of us received last year.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    I have had my £99 replacement for 11 months.

It has just broken down.

Rang Hotpoint due to it being within the 12 month manufacturers guarantee and they tried to upsell me £4.99 a month insurance to 'reset' the 12 month warranty and that if the fault (user error on a tumble dryer!) turns out to be my fault (how bits can get into the workings or 'a fluff build up' is able to occur - I thought that was what the recall was supposed to prevent???) I will have to pay £120 call out charge and £59 if they fail to diagnose the fault. What is the point of the 12 month guarantee??? To add insult to injury, I have been given a day that the engineer will call, - to their credit it is in 2 days time - but they cannot block out school run times and can only say it will be between 7.15 am and 6pm.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • I brought the £99 condenser feb 17 modal number TDWSF83BEPUK, after replacing my faulty tumble dryer which was 7 years old and on its last legs. At the time I was over the moon and quite happy to pay the £99. Now 8 months in I am now demanding they come and replace for another new modal because I have had 3 faults in the last 3 months! I have now got a faulty plug socket when there wasn’t anything wrong with plug socket before, I have new house. First two faults before faulty plug socket found machine shut off and wouldn’t turn on. Now getting fault code F04 and F06. Not happy when it’s on,y been a few months.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I brought the £99 condenser feb 17 modal number TDWSF83BEPUK, after replacing my faulty tumble dryer which was 7 years old and on its last legs. At the time I was over the moon and quite happy to pay the £99. Now 8 months in I am now demanding they come and replace for another new modal because I have had 3 faults in the last 3 months! I have now got a faulty plug socket when there wasn’t anything wrong with plug socket before, I have new house. First two faults before faulty plug socket found machine shut off and wouldn’t turn on. Now getting fault code F04 and F06. Not happy when it’s on,y been a few months.
    I believe it is unlikely that the appliance caused the 'faulty plug socket'.

I would suggest that you get your 'faulty plug socket' fixed or replaced before reporting your appliance fault.

If an engineer gets sent out and determines that the issue is due to the 'faulty plug socket', you will be charged for his visit.
  • Zandoni
    Worth a read if you are one of the million people still waiting to have your appliance made safer.

https://conversation.which.co.uk/home-energy/product-safety-parliament-beis/#replacement
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure