Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Hello Motorists,

I have seen a news report recently of the metropolitan police in London, using bicycles to challenge motorists about road rage towards cyclists.

What rages me so much, is the endless cyclists who often use two one way streets in my neighborhood, and constantly the wrong way.

One of the roads fits the width of a average car only, yet despite no entry signs, these are ignored by cyclists, as they hurtle down the road.

Tonight, i spoke to one cyclists, i told him not to endanger myself and obey the highway code.

The two streets in question do not allow cyclists to use it the wrong way (contra flow) and there is no cycle track installed, just two large no entry signs at the start of the road.

Im asking motorists, can anything be carried out to address this problem, or is this a sign of the times, and that motorists have to accept they are the cash cows of TFL and london boroughs, and cyclists can do what the want??

I am keen to hear from motorists only!!
Trinidad - The hottest place to go

Comments

• Up one ways, dark clothes, through red lights, no lights. Let god sort em out!

Why put yourself in danger, never understand certain mind sets of some idiot cyclists.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How is the cyclist endangering you in a car?
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nothing! Cyclists are a protected species that you cannot persecute. Most forum discussions end up as slanging matches - you pay no tax/you are a polluter. Whatever you say about cyclists will be turned against you as the evil motorist and I say this as a motorist and a law abiding cyclist.
    The man without a signature.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 8:19PM
    Your just trolling and trying spread hate toward cyclists. The reason you hate them is nothing to do with the reasons stated, your just looking for excuses and this isn't the first time you've kicked off a thread like this one.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5312935
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5261709
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5071668

They can cut through traffic and you can't, you think this "queue jumping" is unfair? well tough luck.

I would rather a cyclist take a cut through a one way road, than tried to navigate a dangerous junction or roundabout putting themselves at risk, because what happens when some idiot deliberately takes out a cyclist???? The Police wade in and shut the road, causing complete havoc, whilst they're hosing down the road cleaning up strawberry jam that was once another human being, someone's son, daughter, father, mother!!!

This is the point, people seem to forget that they're just people like anyone else, they're no less important that anyone else, they just happen to be riding a bike.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337
    Forumite
    Up one ways, dark clothes, through red lights, no lights. Let god sort em out!

Why put yourself in danger, never understand certain mind sets of some idiot cyclists.

exactly my point, there was three cyclists all with dark clothing this evening, it is so easy to hit one of them. you a motorists?
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Pet hate of mine also. Only tonight I overtook one riding along a main road with a very dim rear light and no front light at all. The obvious problem is there isn't a way of identifying a cyclist in the same way as a motorist due to the lack of any VRMs etc. Thus they tend to get away with a lot more than a motorist would. Plus cycling offences/penalties are far out-dated and not much of a deterant.

In answer to your question, all you can do is report this 'hot spot' one-way street to your local nick and hope in the meantime one of them dosn't cycle the wrong way when there's a bus coming the other way.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337
    Forumite
    Tilt wrote: »
    Pet hate of mine also. Only tonight I overtook one riding along a main road with a very dim rear light and no front light at all. The obvious problem is there isn't a way of identifying a cyclist in the same way as a motorist due to the lack of any VRMs etc. Thus they tend to get away with a lot more than a motorist would. Plus cycling offences/penalties are far out-dated and not much of a deterant.

In answer to your question, all you can do is report this 'hot spot' one-way street to your local nick and hope in the meantime one of them dosn't cycle the wrong way when there's a bus coming the other way.

Thank you for your contribution. I am in London, and I know we have to have cyclists on the road (although it is no fun being stuck behind them) but i do despair one of the two one way streets I use, I have even started avoiding the road for fear of of someone on two wheels hurtling towards me the wrong way.

I am sure the first mayor of London, Ken Livingstone was going to introduce a registration scheme for cyclists, but if i remember right, this was too costly.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Thank you for your contribution. I am in London, and I know we have to have cyclists on the road (although it is no fun being stuck behind them) but i do despair one of the two one way streets I use, I have even started avoiding the road for fear of of someone on two wheels hurtling towards me the wrong way.

I am sure the first mayor of London, Ken Livingstone was going to introduce a registration scheme for cyclists, but if i remember right, this was too costly.

Your in London and you get stuck behind cyclists? For what? The 10 seconds it takes to reach the next queue?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The highway code is not law, just a good driving guide.
    Also one written a long time ago when we were a polite stiff upper lip country, these days of white Audi man if you followed it to the letter, you would get about 100 yards before you were killed.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite

Ahh London. And the following buffoon of a mayor, Boris Johnson came up with the idea of the cycle super-highway through London costing quite a few quid and loads of congestion while it was built. The result? Well ok it's taken a few cyclists off the road BUT it seems they are now in conflict with each other!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3834940/Rider-s-risky-overtake-causes-calamitous-crash-sending-cyclists-sprawling-floor-congested-superhighway-track.html
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure