Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Hello Motorists,

I have seen a news report recently of the metropolitan police in London, using bicycles to challenge motorists about road rage towards cyclists.

What rages me so much, is the endless cyclists who often use two one way streets in my neighborhood, and constantly the wrong way.

One of the roads fits the width of a average car only, yet despite no entry signs, these are ignored by cyclists, as they hurtle down the road.

Tonight, i spoke to one cyclists, i told him not to endanger myself and obey the highway code.

The two streets in question do not allow cyclists to use it the wrong way (contra flow) and there is no cycle track installed, just two large no entry signs at the start of the road.

Im asking motorists, can anything be carried out to address this problem, or is this a sign of the times, and that motorists have to accept they are the cash cows of TFL and london boroughs, and cyclists can do what the want??

I am keen to hear from motorists only!!

You could campaign for the roads to be made two way for cyclists - problem solved!
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    boliston wrote: »
    You could campaign for the roads to be made two way for cyclists - problem solved!

Not all one way streets are wide enough for that. I would agree IF they are wide enough then that shoudn't be a problem.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tilt wrote: »
    Ahh London. And the following buffoon of a mayor, Boris Johnson came up with the idea of the cycle super-highway through London costing quite a few quid and loads of congestion while it was built. The result? Well ok it's taken a few cyclists off the road BUT it seems they are now in conflict with each other!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3834940/Rider-s-risky-overtake-causes-calamitous-crash-sending-cyclists-sprawling-floor-congested-superhighway-track.html

Daaaaaaaaaaaaam, that was some crash, i thought these highways were oneway only!!! On a positive note, glad thr cyclists are using these lanes and not the wrong way on my local roads
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • trinidadone
    Not all one way streets are wide enough for that. I would agree IF they are wide enough then that shoudn't be a problem.

Hey tilt, yes your so right, on of the one way street can accommodate a contra flow. that road is not too bad (although again i would prefer the cyclists to use this road the right way) the second road is much more tricky, as it is so narrow, it would be highly dangerous to introduce a cycle lane because of the narrowness
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker

The problem is that many roads are wide enough for a contra flow cycle lane but they design the roads with 2 traffic lanes both going the same way - makes no sense and means that both cars and cyclists need to make needless detours. Stupid planning often results in equally stupid behaviour!
  • exactly my point, there was three cyclists all with dark clothing this evening, it is so easy to hit one of them. you a motorists?

Motorcyclist and car driver occasional cyclist.

Have zero problem with sensible cyclist but there are some idiots why would you not buy 2.99 lights aldi to protect your own life. Madness.
  • arcon5 wrote: »
    How is the cyclist endangering you in a car?

Not endangering me just themselves. There's enough car drivers not paying attention cause they are on there mobiles. Light yourself up cyclists and give yourself a fighting chance at least.
  • trinidadone
    Motorcyclist and car driver occasional cyclist.

Have zero problem with sensible cyclist but there are some idiots why would you not buy 2.99 lights aldi to protect your own life. Madness.

Thank you for your honesty. I did not even know lights were that cheap??? I am sure a take away cost more. the guy i spoke to, tonight had no lights. If I was driving fast, i would of killed him tonight
  • trinidadone
    Not endangering me just themselves. There's enough car drivers not paying attention cause they are on there mobiles. Light yourself up cyclists and give yourself a fighting chance at least.

Again i would agree with you, and add, please practice good cycling on the streets, as I am sure this would provide more respect from other road users.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    ^^ Lights are problematic, they require planning and forethought, making sure one has enough batteries to last the week, or using rechargeable and having a spare set on charge every day, or using USB rechargable lights and hoping your boss isn't the sort of power tripping moron that won't let you use a power socket at work to recharge them. All this and then some little toe rag steals them off your bike.

There's a lot more to it than you think, bikes don't have the luxury of a constantly replenishing power supply. It seems too easy for drivers to judge what they don't understand.

Not to mention the crazy drivers who think that a cyclist with bright lights "thinks they're better than everyone else" and make it their mission to teach them a lesson.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure