ex and would be ex-gamblers support thread

Comments

• cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    That sounds like really positive progress Jools! well done :)

welcome Hillwalker. I couldnt stop on my own. i stopped with the help of GA. i cant do it without it. It's just a part of my life now as without it i wouldnt have one.
    Keeping on the road to recovery eventually brings peace, serenity and a sense of self worth that was all missing when i gambled.

I wish these things for you too.
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
  • I'm days away from 1 year off of gambling, and it feels great, but I couldn't have done it without being part of GA. I will be going to GA for the rest of my days, it's something that HAS to be part of my life, just 2 hours a week is all it takes, I used to waste at least 10 times that a week gambling, that's just the time aspect. As for the money, it's taken me a year to save up in the back what I would have blown in 2 days gambling. I really do not know I managed to gamble for so many years, the constant stress of moving money around and worrying about normal life with the family, having to pretend that everything was OK, when in fact it was totally screwed!

Hillwalker, have you taken a look at the GA website, there is a forum and chat room there too, and a list of meetings. Give it a try, many say they don't know why it works but it does, and people that keep going stay off a bet.

One day at a time

Hero
    Just for today I will not try to solve all my life problems at once. | DFD: [STRIKE]April 2033[/STRIKE] Aug 2023
    Original Debt: £96K Mar 2016 | Current Debt: £47350
    Aug 2018
  • cantcope
    Forumite
    great job Hero!!!!
    I think GA works because there is no judgement there and you can be totally honest about what you've done. You're in a room of people that know EXACTLY how you feel because they've been there/done it..

i couldn't be without my extended family. And that's what the members are like. up and down the country. family.
    They've helped me stay off a bet, celebrated with me when i got married, celebrated again when i had my baby spoiling him with so much love and attention, held me as i sobbed in the chair when my marriage wasn't quite what i was expecting it to be and supported me when i decided to divorce.
    GA has been there to guide me with everything when i've been open and honest and asked for advice. How many "normal" people have that opportunity? not many i'm sure.

I've been going almost 11 years... i didnt really want it enough at the start, i figured i could just stop gambling online for a bit.... hahaha what a fool. I'm happy to say i've been off a bet almost 10.5 years now and life is GREAT :)
  • Well that's me back to day 0 again. Stupid Silly Me!!!

I was home alone the other night and instead of putting my update on here which I was actually wanting to do, I stuck on some sort and guess what, yep you guessed it - I wasted alot of money on online gambling. Since then I've been chasing and wasting even more money (including the early hours of this morning).

Now my debt has doubled because of a few careless days. It means i'm paying it off for another year because of a few careless decisions..

For the next few days at least and if its ok with everyone, I'll post daily on here to get back in the zone.

Well Done cantcope, 10 years is fantastic. You should be really proud. I cant imagine the benefits (less stress, more sleep, no worrying).

Off to stress about money now...
    Ex Gambling Addict :( - Last bet made on 15/03/2017 - 29 Days
    Slowly building an emergency fund - £1000/£6000
  • cantcope
    Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 12:14PM
    Hillwalker. Why dont you have blocks on your electronics? K9 is free, Gamblock has a small fee. much less that you probably just spent!
    k9 can be loaded onto pc's laptops and smart phones.
    Get someone to choose a password for you.
    once the temptation is gone its a lot lot easier.

i'd also knock the emergency fund on the head. you'll be earning less interest (im guessing you dont have the fund now anyway) than you're paying on your debt.
  • Day 1 complete successfully :j

Cantcope - Do those block things really work on smartphones? I will look into this. I've cut up the credit card and I will be doing the same to the credit cards once they are used for paying off debt.

I have to keep the emergency fund as it was the amount my partner knew I had in savings. It's also there incase the car breaks or I need repairs. To be fair i'm more sensible with actual cash than I am with the money in the bank.

Thanks for your speedy reply :)
  • cantcope
    Forumite
    Yes the blocks do work. Get one put on. i'd also suggest telling your partner. the more people that know the harder it is for you to gamble.

Cutting up your cards is a waste of time as i'm pretty sure you probably have the details saved on your gambling accounts.

honesty is the best thing for a recovery. lies will destroy you and the people around you.
  • Now onto day 5 and all ok so far. I got the Gamblock working and its installed on my phone. Thanks for the idea.

I hope everyone else is doing ok too.
  • cantcope
    Forumite
    Who chose the password Hillwalker?
  • TightRob
    TightRob Posts: 36 Forumite
    Hi all

Today is a week off gambling. I'm under incredible amounts of stress and pressure so will be venting here, if that's ok?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure