PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New Rental

Hi All,

My daughter has just rented her first property, we moved her in over the weekend.
The key she was given to a communal door didn't work, after sitting outside for over 2 hours unable to gain access and several phone calls to the letting agents we suggested getting a locksmith out that the LA agreed to.
When the locksmith came out he confirmed the lock was broken and would need to drill out, fit new lock etc inc call out the total of £240.
LA then said it was too expensive, couldn't contact the LL and so on, another hour later after several more phone calls the LA agreed that if we paid the locksmith they would reimburse, I asked for a confirmation email. The email arrived stating that they couldn't guarantee that they would reimburse the cost and would contact me to discuss.
I'm not sure on what my position is now if both the LA and LL refuse to reimburse.
I've tried to keep a long story very brief, if anybody has any suggestions or advice about what to do next it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance and thanks for reading!:)

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Whippetoil wrote: »
    Hi All,

My daughter has just rented her first property, we moved her in over the weekend.
    The key she was given to a communal door didn't work, after sitting outside for over 2 hours unable to gain access and several phone calls to the letting agents we suggested getting a locksmith out that the LA agreed to.
    When the locksmith came out he confirmed the lock was broken and would need to drill out, fit new lock etc inc call out the total of £240.
    LA then said it was too expensive, couldn't contact the LL and so on, another hour later after several more phone calls the LA agreed that if we paid the locksmith they would reimburse, I asked for a confirmation email. The email arrived stating that they couldn't guarantee that they would reimburse the cost and would contact me to discuss.
    I'm not sure on what my position is now if both the LA and LL refuse to reimburse.
    I've tried to keep a long story very brief, if anybody has any suggestions or advice about what to do next it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance and thanks for reading!:)

Seems your LL is not willing to put it in writing they will cover the costs and seems a like a nice LL.

Document every evidence you have, record phone calls and mention you have a right to get into the property.

Be prepared to move after your initial contract as they are not a good LL
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2016 at 8:49AM
    Your daughter (yes, not you, you are not the tenant) writes (yes, writes! - keep copy) a calm polite letter to the landlord (yes landlord, copy agent) noting this issue and any others & requesting sorting within, say, 5 days.

There is draft letter on Shelter's excellent website here...
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets/reporting_repairs_to_a_landlord

If he fails to refund you your daughter (your daughter) should sue him through small-claims route, after sending LBA. See CaB website for guidance.

This is not a promising start so I agree, plan on moving: Indeed many landlords would evict using s21 for less than this.. Wrong, not fair, but be aware..
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    And unless the landlord owns the rest of the block then it's a cost they should be passing on to the managing agents to deal with - they'll only ultimately be liable for their share.
  • Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    Just to be clear I am well aware that I am not the tenant and I am trying to keep out of this as much as possible, the only bit I have got myself involved in is the door issue, as if left to the agents we would still be sitting outside the flat waiting to move things in now.
    I think the landlord only owns the flat in question, the access door is shared with a commercial business on the ground floor and no one else. There is 1 more flat in the building but that has there own rear access, although they can gain access through the shared door also.
    It's a complicated situation and everybody seems to be avoiding any responsibility (and cost) which is where I expected the agents to help...
  • Whippetoil wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    Just to be clear I am well aware that I am not the tenant and I am trying to keep out of this as much as possible, the only bit I have got myself involved in is the door issue, as if left to the agents we would still be sitting outside the flat waiting to move things in now.
    I think the landlord only owns the flat in question, the access door is shared with a commercial business on the ground floor and no one else. There is 1 more flat in the building but that has there own rear access, although they can gain access through the shared door also.
    It's a complicated situation and everybody seems to be avoiding any responsibility (and cost) which is where I expected the agents to help...
    The agent won't help - they are employed by the LL and will do what the LL tells them. Daughter will have to pursue the LL, as that is who her contract is with. How they then pursues managing agents/other flatowners/whomever is their business.
    As others have said, don't be surprised if an S21 appears shortly after - it's a !!!!!! world we live in.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,665 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Has your daughter actually managed to get into the property? If she hasn't yet then without 'taking possession of the property' then it can be argued the tenancy hasn't yet begun and therefore rent isn't due.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Whippetoil
    Whippetoil Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2016 at 9:37AM
    Kynthia wrote: »
    Has your daughter actually managed to get into the property? If she hasn't yet then without 'taking possession of the property' then it can be argued the tenancy hasn't yet begun and therefore rent isn't due.

Yes, we got in on the day, I paid for the locksmith that day, I'm beginning to think I may never see the reimbursement though, even if I want to pursue it the above posts have made me a bit nervous about kicking up any kind of fuss
  • I guess that your daughter is now the only person to hold keys for this new door lock. You could be really cheeky and charge the LL £240 for a copy of the key
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    I am presuming your daughter has a Shorthold assured tenancy, in which case the landlord cannot issue a Section 21 for possession until the fixed term has ended.

Don't be put off by the other posts. The LL (if what the LA says is true ) is acting like a ****

Your landlord had a responsibility to allow you into the accommodation.

Write a letter to the landlord explaining the situation, enclosing a copy of the bill and asking for reinbursement within 7 days and saying that you will be taking court action as is your right if this is not resolved. (Don't bother with the Shelter template letter it is not appropriate for this)

You may also wish to say that you would be happy for this to be deducted from the first month's rent if this is more convenient.

Write to the landlord (address on contract - LL's address may be c/o of the letting agent- and copy to the Letting agent.

If you do not receive reinbursement within the time limit then take LL to the small claims court. Job done.

Of course this will start things off on a bad foot but that cannot be helped.

Of course your daughter must be the one to do all this.
  • Happy ending!!
    I (yes, me) have received an email from the agents this morning confirming that the landlord is happy to reimburse the cost of the locksmith.
    Faith restored in people, at least for now.
    Thanks for all the contributions
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport