Foam packaging vs bubble wrap

Options
I am getting a bit fed up with the poor quality bubble wrap, that I need to use twice as much to make sure that an item is securely packaged. I have also previously used some of the foam sheets (they came with some electrical items) and I was quite impressed with them and quite liked them.
So the aim of my question is really to see what is more preferable with you guys, foam or bubble wrap and any ideas where I can source foam pockets/pouches, as I do not seem to have much luck on eBay or Google. They're are a few sellers that sell foam rolls, which is the next best thing to pouches, however, pouches were quite sturdy and more protective. Thanks :)

Comments

• November2
    November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't use either, I use screwed up newspaper below, around and above item. The biggest mistake most people make is not using a box big enough when sending via courier. Often sending an item in a big box with plenty of packaging is the same price as a small box with little packaging. I do use bubblewrap occasionally, I just pick it up from the local supermarket where it is given away for free, they just throw it away so are happy to get rid of it. I've noticed repair garages often have the polystyrene blocks thrown in side skips as I guess many of the parts come packed in it, you could ask at your local.
  • celestius
    celestius Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I always use the small bubblewrap. I buy 3 large rolls at a time from http://www.odlpackaging.co.uk and I think the quality is good, they are also on Ebay.
    I sell lots of toys at Xmas and they need good packaging, never had any complaints!
  • Vernier
    Vernier Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Bubble wrap is very variable in quality. I have some (bought at a car-boot sale) that starts popping if you just look at it a bit funny. Another roll (from a different car-boot) you have to squeeze quite hard to destroy it.

My local supermarket is one of the few that still puts out their packaging for customers, and they often put out polystyrene-foam boxes (things like lettuce and mushrooms seem to come in it) and it is good for packing heavy items. Worth asking your local shop if you need it.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I second ODL. If you buy genuine Jiffy bubble it is far better than the rubbish you can pick up on eBay.
  • ailey
    ailey Posts: 3,184 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Celestius - I need to buy some good quality bubble wrap as the last couple of large rolls I bought were poor quality. I'd like to try ODL Packaging and have just checked their website. Do you buy the standard bubble wrap or the sealed air version? I can't find them on EBay though. Can you please give me their EBay name. Many thanks. :)
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ailey wrote: »
    Celestius - I need to buy some good quality bubble wrap as the last couple of large rolls I bought were poor quality. I'd like to try ODL Packaging and have just checked their website. Do you buy the standard bubble wrap or the sealed air version? I can't find them on EBay though. Can you please give me their EBay name. Many thanks. :)

Try this, http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/o.d.l.packaging/m.html?item=181120261921&hash=item2a2b9bdf21&var=480228734710&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
  • ailey
    ailey Posts: 3,184 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the link, theonlywayisup. I never thought in putting dots in at o.d.l. - silly me lol! Much appreciated.

Now I hope Celestius lets me know if the cheaper version is still good bubble wrap or if I'd be better buying the sealed air version. :)
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
  • celestius
    celestius Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    ailey wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, theonlywayisup. I never thought in putting dots in at o.d.l. - silly me lol! Much appreciated.

Now I hope Celestius lets me know if the cheaper version is still good bubble wrap or if I'd be better buying the sealed air version. :)

I have only bought the small bubble wrap not the sealed version - it's been fine until you get right to the end of the roll and the bubbles are squashed!
    http://www.odlpackaging.co.uk/500-mm-small-bubble-wrap-x-100-m.html
  • skivenov
    skivenov Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Options
    If I haven't had anything better come my way, I tend to cut a corrugated cardboard box up and loosely roll the cardboard to fill any voids.
    Yes it's overwhelming, but what else can we do?
    Get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning commute?
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree that eBay is full of really awful bubble wrap. It is a victim like many other product lines, of the -click sort by price, and sellers of decent products can't get the visibility to survive.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure