IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MSE News: Most motorists beat the cowboys to win parking ticket appeals

Comments

• nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    MSE_Jamie wrote:
    Figures obtained by MoneySavingExpert.com show of the first 997 cases that have been heard by Popla, 55% were upheld in favour of the motorist. Drivers were told to pay up in the remaining 45%.

What the figures don't tell you is how many motorists have been denied the opportunity to appeal to POPLA - Parking Eye for example have simply ignored my request for a POPLA code as they know they will lose and want to save themselves the £27 +VAT POPLA cost.

The other thing your article misses is that POPLA isn't binding on the motorist (only the Parking Company), so POPLA are not empowered to tell the motorists to pay up. I wonder how many of the 45% didn't. Plenty of examples on MSE showing they haven't.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    "told to pay up"? I don't think so, as the decision is not binding on the motorist.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    According to the latest figures available, between April 2010 and March 2011, 50% of complaints made about council parking tickets were upheld by the Tribunal Penalty Tribunal in the driver's favour.

So I guess the other 50% went in the council's favour :D
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Bebs
    Bebs Posts: 233 Forumite
    My husband got a ticket from Euro Car Park, he was working at one of the stores, the problem is that the car he used is registered to the company and they will get the tickets, should he just pay it? or contact them and tell them to put it in his name?
  • Yes, let them know he was the driver. Then ignore the bog roll that comes through your letterbox.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Bebs wrote: »
    My husband got a ticket from Euro Car Park, he was working at one of the stores, the problem is that the car he used is registered to the company and they will get the tickets, should he just pay it? or contact them and tell them to put it in his name?

This is not a thread for new queries. There is a whole parking board for that.

But here you go, post #11 is my advice, just do a weak appeal DIRECT to Euro Car Parks (who never do Court) to hook them into writing to your husband instead:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4423949

You certainly don't pay the darn thing! I had a ECP fake PCN a few years ago and laughed at it, still carry the letters in my bag to show friends about this scam.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2013 at 12:56AM
    daveyjp wrote: »
    If they did the Police would be lying. Since 1st October 2012 they have powers to have vehicles removed from any land if the vehicle is there without permission.
    Sorry but all this does is to amend s.99 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act - which has been around since 1984. The amendment does nothing to change the discretionary nature of the powers (whether exercised by the police or the local authority) but extends the power to cover "other land" to ensure that this does not need to be "occupied". The OP's scenario was capable of being encompassed by the unamended provision as he was in occupation.

Irrespective of this "new power", normally, the removal of a vehicle in this sort of situation would fall to the landowner. As unfair as that might appear some landowners have sought to use it to their advantage to clear land of supposedly "abandoned" vehicles to keep their costs down.

@OP Comparing a private driveway where, generally, people are not invited willy-nilly, with land fully intended and offered to the public for use as a car park is rather like comparing chalk and cheese.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2013 at 11:26PM
    I'm irritated to see the MSE news story (linked to in the first post) once again using the word "militant" to describe the approach of ignoring PPCs which is espoused on this forum.

My dictionary defines "militant" as "favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause".

Not really a good choice of word to describe people who won't be bullied or misled into handing over money.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I was amused to see MSE use the word 'Cowboys' when it wasn't a million years ago that we regulars were told not to use such terms on this board about PPCs!

I even got a pm about it from MSE Andrea but refused to remove the word COWBOYS from my signature because it's a direct quote from Martin Lewis.

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Hi all...

I've just recieved a PCN from Smart Parking LTD for overstaying my welcome in an ASDA carpark - can I claim back VAT on a Parking Charge Notice (IF I pay it that is...?)

Also as I can't see any VAT details on their website I guess my question really should be are these parking charge companies VAT registered - and if not WHY not?

Thanks guys!

Allan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family