Virgin Media Retention thread

Options

Comments

• Mrs_MoneyPenny_2
    Options
    Hi all

I was after some advice. After putting it off for ages I finally decided to try for a better deal.

I have been offered:
    30meg BB (Super hub)
    XL TV
    XL Phone (with caller ID)
    V+HD and a standard V HD box
    Paper Bill
    for £58.68

Does this sound like a good deal or should I say I want to cancel? I did not cancel my package and just spoke to the rep over the phone. I told him I'd give him a call back tomorrow. Any input welcome, thanks :)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 4
    Member 1288
    Start Date :beer: 25/01/2011
    £2 Savers Club 5
  • christie_m
    christie_m Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All

Gave notice just over a week ago, and had a series of calls from VM. Finally managed to speak to them.

Original Contract : £21
    L Broadband
    Paperless Billing

New Deal Offered By Retentions : £16.99
    L Broadband
    M TV (suits me....don't need 100+ channels)
    L Telephone (Evening and Weekend calls)
    Line Rental
    Free installation of additional services
    Paperless Billing

Broadband and TV apparently on a 12 month deal, while the Phone is on a 12 month contract. I say "apparently" as I'm still waiting to see if there are any gotchas in the paperwork that's due to arrive in the next few days.

I think this is a good deal, but interested in views from others.
  • Retrovertigo
    Retrovertigo Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    What's VM's policy when changing packages?

To cut a long story short; I had no end of problems here in Manchester with my internet connection. Just over a year ago they offered to put me on 50meg for the same price as the then 20meg package.

However, the discount they had been giving me has now come to an end and they won't renew it as they claim Manchester is "fixed" with no over-subscription problems anymore (yeah right, I have screenshots of my speed tests of an evening to prove it is still as bad)

Now, I have two options. Suck it up and pay for 50meg from now on, or go down to 30meg instead to keep the current price I'm paying. However, despite the 50meg price being £35, they want to switch me to the old price of £38 (which I have never paid since having 50meg)

Alternatively, when I asked about switching to a slower speed when on 20meg (because it seemed pointless paying for 20meg when I only ever got lower than 10meg) they wanted to put me on a new contract and wouldn't budge. Although when switching me to 50meg they didn't put me on a new contract at all.

I am in contact with someone on the twitter team (who has been great I have to say) but they are away now until Tues obviously, and I wanted to be clear on what my options would be before they get back to me as my bill is due very soon and I want to know where I stand before making contact with them again next week.

Like someone above, I tried the whole canceling thing a couple of years back, and they were happy to come collect my equipment, which is crazy when you think they actually make more money off people like me who only have single services. I should be exactly the kind of customer they want to hang on to!!

Thanks
  • Matt_F-Smith
    Matt_F-Smith Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I rang Virgin last week as I have just come to the end of my contract with them (I currently subscribe to their National services as that's all we can get in Balham!) Been paying £35 odd for following:

Broadband Size: XL at 20.00 per month
    Virgin Phone Line Rental at 11.99 per month
    Phone M (Talk Weekend)

Now, I didn't ring them outright to haggle, but had PlusNet in the back of my mind (with all cashback and deals it worked out to a healthy £25pm)... however without even being prompted the woman said she could make me an offer. I listened.

She offered me the same package as before but with Talk Evenings and Weekends on-top. All this for £16pm, a little bit less for the first 3 months (some sort of promo I'm told)

So a massive saving for the sake of a phonecall it seems...
    Matt
  • floridajen
    floridajen Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    hi i am currently with Virgin and get:-
    monthly advance charge £45.99

Line Rental
    26 May - 25 June £12.99
    Talk Unlimited
    26 May - 25 June £8.00
    Loyalty Pack Bb/ Phone/TV C
    26 May - 25 June -£22.50
    TV Size: X L
    26 May - 25 June £26.00
    Broadband Size: M
    26 May - 25 June £21.50

Is this a good deal as I wanted a faster speed. We do not have a hub or v+ box.

I rang and told them I was thinking of leaving and they just told me that I could get a faster speed of 20 for £53.99.!!!!

Had trouble with email recently and their customer service is the pits.

many thanks for your help - hopefully
  • crystal64
    crystal64 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone tried to get any deals on their package with the tiVo box the only deal I can see at the moment is the one for existing customers any news would be great I saw a demonstration at the Ideal Homes exhibition in glasgow but would rather not pay for installation charge thanks in advance.:money:
  • thrustmaster
    thrustmaster Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone managed to get 100MB broadband added to their package with retentions alongside some form of discount?
    :jStand And Deliver ! :j
  • keithdc
    keithdc Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was on Large B/Band, M TV, Large telephone (paying about £33 incl. line rental)- phoned up to cancel as BT springwatch seemed a better deal for what I wanted (don't want the TV anymore).

Virgin failed to offer me a better deal when I canceled (about £23/month without TV), so proceeded with cancellation and started sign-up to BT.

Two days ago, Virgin offer me L B/band, M TV, L telephone for £15/month (12 month contract incl. line rental, though phone on 18month)- tried to get a price reduction as don't want TV, but they wouldn't reduce it so will just store box for them for a year.

I'm not sure if starting BT sign-up helped me get better price, but I'm happy! :)
  • billydwarf
    billydwarf Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    I am leaving Virgin to join Sky next week.
    I have xl tv,sky sports,broadband and phone and hd and been with them for 11 years
    They offered me a £20 to stay.

Bye bye,hello Sky
  • grahamdocherty201
    Options
    Hi

Ok i looking to see if i can get better deal on my package

TV - XL
    Phone - M
    B/B - XXL 50mb

V+ box in lounge

2 other standard boxes in other room

78 pounds a month