Occasional Student car insurance

Options
My student son is at uni and my insurance company (Direct Line) will insure him for 90 days in any one year - in summer 2006 they charged £84 for fully comp with £500 excess. When the 90 days is used, they will insure but for greatly increased premiums. Over Christmas he was insured for 10 days....costing £29.40.

Can anyone recommend another insurance company? I'm happy to stay with Direct Line so recommendations for insurance just for him would be good.

Comments

• Jenny_S
    Jenny_S Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.ecarinsurance.co.uk has got me good quotes, also you can sign up to 'pay as you go' which is where you pay on a month by month basis.
    Our Debts:
    Overdraft: £2K Credit Card:5000

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Direct Line told me that if I wanted DS1 insured for more than 90 days, I had to put him on for the whole year as a named driver. BUT he would then be 'earning' a no claims bonus (assuming he didn't crash the car).

Any insurance company is likely to 'load' premiums if you keep putting people on for short periods, IMO.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    are there any insurance companies who give discounts to students or not discounts but are student orientated
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • teeb
    teeb Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    C_Ronaldo wrote:
    are there any insurance companies who give discounts to students or not discounts but are student orientated

You'd be lucky to find ones that give student discounts / student orientations - as students tend to be young, and thus the highest risk, it's a fairly daft business idea.

Endsleigh try to market themselves as student-friendly - they have branches in or near a lot of universities, for example, but no idea how competitive they'll be.
  • nelliebag
    Options
    Try Budget Insurance - I put my daughter on when she is home from uni and their charges are reasonable.

nelliebag
  • ames123_2
    Options
    My Mum has gone with direct line and she said I go can go up to 8 times in a year. I shall ask her about this 90 day limit. Thanks.
    Student MoneySaving Club member 017!
  • pinginal
    Options
    Endsleigh are very good. They were at least £1,000 cheaper than any other quotes I had.
  • The_doomed
    Options
    endsleigh are simply a broker, ane expensive one at that. how ele can the make profit and pay for all the offices they have?
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ive just tried endsleigh and i had the talk about how they are more caterd to students and they have the lowest price, well tghe lowest price is from my current insurer who beat endsleighs quote by £26 this is based over 12 monthly payments(my current insurer) and the 11 monthly payments from endsleigh
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    Urgh! Direct Line - THE worse car insurer I have EVER been with... Cowboys!
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport