Don't want to spend my life in debt

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Just caught up on your diary, you are absolutely smashing it and it’s so good to see! Making me feel super motivated, I’ve actually gotten back on to the eBay thing, I did LOADS of eBaying in my third year of uni and now I’ve been living as a graduate for almost 5 years (v. scary to think that) I’ve accumulated more clothes and things I don’t need. I’m going to be going home tonight to see what else I can list on there as my listings are going like wildfire! I have to say I’ve been a bit lazy and the last few months I’ve sent stuff off to the charity shop instead of selling it on eBay like I should have done.

Where do you sell your books if you don’t mind me asking? BF brought so many with him and I have HUNDREDS at my parents place that my mum wants to try and offload on to me soon so I’ll be wanting to get rid, I’ve sent loads to the charity shop already but as I’m in debt if I can make a bit of money I sure will!
  • Reb2016
    Reb2016 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Hi sauceoclock thanks for your lovely comments, I know what you mean about accumulating stuff amazing how quickly it can all build up. I've been using webuybooks.co.uk used them a few times now, and never had any problems with them paying out. Some books don't raise a lot but it soon starts to add up, and postage is free. Sounds like eBay is going well for you too.

Reb
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Thanks for sharing your book website! I will check it out, I’m gutted as I sent SO many books off to the charity shop but know I’ll have so many more soon enough. I’ll be selling quite a few signed books on eBay I think once I’ve collected them from my Mum’s house (hating the idea of bringing more toot in to our tiny house!!).

I had a little clear out last night and found a couple more things to get listed on eBay so thanks for the motivation!
  • Think I'll check out that website too, I have more books than is good for me!
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Reb2016
    That's where I was, far too many books, its lovely to have cleared so many, and great to have space to move:rotfl:
  • Reb2016
    Listed a few more things on eBay today, so fingers crossed. It's also pay day this week, so will be able to make some more payments.

Had a NSD today I'm hopeful of reaching this months target, just a few more days to go.

Reb
  • MrJester
    MrJester Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Your constant drive to chip away at your debt is inspiring thanks Reb. Glad you might find the ebay app useful, I definitely did. Saves any kind of moving pictures from one device to the other (yawn).

What's a NSD btw? Not sure I know that term/abbreviation
  • NSD is no spend day Mr Jester.

You're doings well on the eBay listing Reb. What percentage of the stuff you list actually sells Would you say? I haven't had much luck selling books on eBay.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • MrJester
    MrJester Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    NSD is no spend day Mr Jester.

You're doings well on the eBay listing Reb. What percentage of the stuff you list actually sells Would you say? I haven't had much luck selling books on eBay.

Oh! Sweet! Like that concept
  • Hi hairy hand, Last week the sales were about 50% of what I listed, but I did list a lot, and really wasn't sure about some of it, although interesting some of the things that sold had been listed previously, and I didn't change anything, not even the price I think it's just luck on who sees the listings. Overall I would say probably ably 80% sells. I've given up in books with eBay they never sell.

Mr Jester there is a whole thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5701386 dedicated to NSD's in September this is the first month in quite some time that I have signed up, but I do find it helps me to really think about what I am spending and why.

Reb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport