PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Phew, GQ, you are on a roll.

I am very impressed by the idea of having a mother who can handle a circular saw, mine used to delegate all jobs that involved holding anything heavier than a duster... :D
    :) Mum's losing the ability toi do such things due to Parkinson's, which is very frustrating for her, but she has even built furniture. We have a superb windsor chair and a mahogany chest downstairs which she made on courses, plus a ladderback, rush-seated chair upstairs.

Sadly, she didn't follow my nagging in the twelve years between retirement and the unexpected onset of the Parkinson's and frittered away time she intended to spend on her hobbies of woodturning etc on the daily drag around of chores and reading the newspaper etc. And now she can't do so many of the things she loves and that workshop shed has a woodlathe, bandsaw and pillar drill sitting idle.:(

If you take nothing else from me, take this; do it Now, when it comes to the stuff that gives you joy. You may be around tomorrow but in no fit state to do the things you love.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I'm currently sorting through plastic boxes that have been in the garage for almost ten years. They have been dived into over the years, but not properly sorted. There are 4 half used cans of shirt starch. I never use starch now. I think I may have been a bit keen as a young bride. But why 4 cans in various states of use? As a newlywed I lived in a flat with little storage so having multiple cans is just illogical.

Do odd cleaning products and coats breed in the same way? Is there a portal in GQ seniors' shed from which these things emenate, spreading across the country in an occult kipple network?
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Mavymoo and MM I can relate to the scarf thing, it's definitely related to the chesticles one has imho. I have a more mature colleague who manages to look so glamorous in them. I just get them caught, dangle them in things and spill things on them!
    Hope you head of the migraine. Greenbeee. GQ keep it up, loving the tales.
    I have done nothing apart from Kondo 3lb of blackberries from the field into my freezer and some birthday chocolate for my birthday into my tummy. We have to do this as come Tuesday DH and I going to Kondo some weight with the blood sugar diet! As I am an abstainer not a moderator I couldn't have them calling to me for 8 weeks. I also KM'd some conifer with my new secateurs.
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I have been very busy decluttering and cleaning since I finished work at the end of June. We are having some additional loft insulation done on Tuesday so the storage area has been emptied, it was rammed with what can only be described as junk ( maybe 10% was worth keeping.) I will be super vigilant putting stuff back next week.

I have done my bedroom wardrobes and drawers, sorted shoes and handbags and I have also sorted out my home office so I have somewhere to sew where my machine doesn't need to go away for meal times.

Today I have decluttered my big oak cupboard which has dining room stuff in the bottom and display area at the top, amazing how many things in there didn't make me smile...

It feels good to lose the excess stuff!
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    If you take nothing else from me, take this; do it Now, when it comes to the stuff that gives you joy. You may be around tomorrow but in no fit state to do the things you love.
    So true, so true :(

GQ, I'm sorry thats your mum's situation; even at my age, it's taken me years to learn that our happiness is crucial to whatever we do with our lives.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    That's it for today! Tetris done, underbed drawers emptied out, all items tried on, quite a few into release bag . Some put aside pending further weight loss.
    Christmas pressie stash into one underbed drawer and contents listed for easy reminder. All very neatly stashed, I have to say.
    Other drawer has holiday clothes (only worn in very hot climate), some placed at the back as pending (see above!).

I have freed up 3 drawers in COD by releasing clothing and SCARVES I know I'll never wear, and by kondo folding and filing the rest properly.

SIL is going to do a carboot so a large bag going to her. Included in the bag is a raspberry coloured handbag that I used once, for a wedding 8 years ago. Doh.

Oh, and I found some walking trousers that fit me now and will be great for my week away next month! :)

Well done GQ, sounds like you are having great fun. Keep it up! I am working tomorrow but I shall be thinking of all Kondo-ers, setting things free all over the UK!

Enjoy!

M

IT LOOKS GOOD ! :j
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    So true, so true :(

GQ, I'm sorry thats your mum's situation; even at my age, it's taken me years to learn that our happiness is crucial to whatever we do with our lives.
    Save

GQ, I'd just like to say the same as Karmacat, and am sorry for the frustrations that lie ahead. x
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Thanks for your kindnessess, it's appreciated.

Life usually kicks you around a bit as you age, and it's a rare person who exits in the prime of life, firing on all cylinders. Most of us will have a decline in our faculties before the end.

Which is why, mes amies, we must all hold true to what personally brings us JOY and follow that star, whatever it is for us, and no two of us will have the same loves.

:o:p At least Mum's virtually stopped ironing anything. And will be going off for a short holiday in a week or so.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Floss wrote: »
    I think we have the same Justin, but ours also used to ski, play hockey, was a keen photographer and now makes his own beer & wine....
    mavvymoo wrote: »
    Morning all :D
    Loving your stories GQ :rotfl:Here Justin is a snooker playing man with a lovely snooker cue which comes complete with a metal case. Which hasnt seen the light of day for 20 years but may come in handy if DH ever starts playing snooker again ;)

Sometimes if you are very unlucky the said snooker cue slides out of the gap between the wall and the wardrobe where it lives and hits you on the head :rotfl:just to remind you its still there not being used.

Mav x

My Justin is a bit like a hydra - not sure how many heads, but he has a pair of different prescription glasses or sunglasses for each one :D. Need to find an opticians locally who will take them and then prise them off him :rotfl:
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Gallygirl - can you package up all the glasses and give them to someone who is coming back to the UK? They can drop them off with an optician who recycles for Vision Aid http://www.visionaidoverseas.org/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure