PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DH has left something in the CS bag for me to take in today! He let go of 3 mugs last week. Baby steps! :D
    The item is a truly useless Christmas pressie he was given last year by his Brother (brother works in retail so he always gives everyone something he bought from his employer!).

I have to nip into town on a couple of errands so am rounding up a few more bits of random komono to go too!

I shall start on the drawer swapping when I get back. I am certain there be more to be released by me!:rotfl:
    I am slightly hopeful that DH may find time this weekend to release some other Stuff... over
    optimistic? You never know :eek:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's been a while since I posted on here but have decided that the decluttering has to be a priority again.

3 bags to charity shops this week, clothes, books, videos and DVDs

2 bags ready to go to my eldest daughter - mostly things to return and some leggings I no longer fit into! I need to kondo some weight!

1 bag of footwear for my youngest daughter to check is hopefully the next to leave.

I also have electrical bits and pieces that I feel should not go in the bin - old plugs, modems, light bulbs. But with no transport they will probably be here for a while still.

I still have an old piece of worktop and two other large items which I need to get rid of. I think they will eventually have to go to the tip and I need to find someone with a van and pay them to take them.

Now, where to start next on the decluttering journey...

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Phew! Hard not to get dispirited today with the sheer volume of stuff to do and Kondo! Especially in this heat. DH and I had quite a lazy morning until . . . We remembered that Sis and BIL are calling in tomorrow and the house needed cleaning. As I'm dusting I'm carrying stuff into the old dining room, now part therapy room/part sewing room to add to the pile for CS:eek:
    Chenille throw (really dark burgundy complete with holes), a set of 6 mini milk bottles I thought I wanted for flowers (flowers I grow don't look great in these), a wooden puzzle, a pack of mini playing cards ....can't even remember what else! I remembered moving into this house in 2005 and thinking how the h**l I am I going to fill this? Well we did, and some and I swear I AM NOT A HOARDER! I have gift aid cards for 4 CSs and I take stuff there regularly. In addition to recycling and occasionally selling stuff on the Bay of E and FB. And this is even worse, if you recall before my BD I took the books to a CS. When DH and I were in town following day and we parked outside and the entire window display was my stuff. That was weird seeing the things that had passed through my hands and meant so much to me just gathered together. I actually felt quite exposed although that is faintly ridiculous as no one except myself would know they were mine. DH wanted me to go and see how much they were going for in case I wanted to buy them back but I couldn't bear to. I think I'm tired and a bit woo-woo ed out. :embarasse:sad::embarasse_pale_
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    Frogletina, have you tried freecycle for the big things? DD got rid of loads when she had a perspex roof replaced - someone came and took all the old sheets of perspex for their allotment, and someone else had a pile of horrible wood, and so it went on and she only had to do one run to the tip - much better than paying the builders extra to remove it all. I've put loads on freecycle myself, but never to that degree of rubbish (!) and I was mesmerised by the way it got snapped up.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,142 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got rid of all my patio slabs and the rubble from the concrete base on freegle. My neighbours disposed of a collapsing concrete panel garage in response to a 'wanted'. So well worth it. Sadly it isn't as good where I am now as it was in my old location.

I have to finish taking down a rotten fence panel, which I plan to replace over the weekend using the stack of old pallets blocking part of the log store... :) I hope the weather holds, as i have a LOT of outside stuff planned!
  • MMF007
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 August 2016 at 3:25PM
    Options
    Just coming up for air!
    I went to get a few bits to take to CS this morning, got completely carried away, have pulled all clothes out and done the joy test. LOTS going :T Some are too big :D, some I simply don't like the fit and will never be right, some I hate the fabric. All in massive holdall ready for DH to carry (too heavy for me to lug far).

Have now got piles sorted and kondo folded. Am about to do a 'putting away' plan to make sure each category goes in a suitable drawer to encourage regular use, neatness and ease of finding!!
    I have a pile to put ready for when they fit......suspect that will be about 2 months's time but am OK with that. My inventory this morning has revealed that I shall have plenty of tops and underwear for a slimmer me but no trousers or joggers :eek:

I had prev sorted scarves into a bag but realised that it is not easy to see what's there and
    extract the desired one. I had found kondo rolling did not work too well for me either. Then I remembered someone on here suggested using a scarf hanger but glueing it to the side of COD
    or other useful surface. I have one in my present stash so I shall do this later. Thanks, whoever it was (sorry, I have forgotten).
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Charly27 wrote: »
    Phew! Hard not to get dispirited today with the sheer volume of stuff to do and Kondo! Especially in this heat.
    I think I'm tired and a bit woo-woo ed out. :embarasse:sad::embarasse_pale_
    Take it easy, Charly, as you say this heat is a *lot* - it's easy to get overwhelmed between the heat and the house. Since you've got visitors tomorrow, just make one room presentable, maybe? A couple of members of my family have to be reminded "we've come to see you, not your house!", I like that :)

Teddies from the counselling room have gone to live in the charity shop for a while.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GoingToDoIt
    Options
    MMF007 I repurposed my scarf hanger on to COD to hold the hairdryer! However I kondo'ed my scarves into a large flat box which sits in the wardrobe.
    Its been working well for me having them rolled up in there, maybe give that a go first?
    Otherwise the secret to my glueing is "no m@re n@ils"
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I find big scarves, pashmina types, work best rolled in a drawer. They used to be on hangers in the wardrobe and I could never see what was there, so Kondoing them worked wonders. Smaller scarves live on one of those scarf hangers in the wardrobe, now I only have half a dozen they are also easy to see. Scarves are a big thing for me!

Does anyone else find themselves doing a mini-Kondo when they put things away? I went to put some shoes away yesterday and saw a pair that I know are not comfortable (and haven't been worn all summer) - into the CS bag with them! I obviously thought they were joyful last year as they made it through the first cull but time has refined my views.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • MMF007
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 August 2016 at 10:13AM
    Options
    Thanks GoingtoDoIt, I am not sure I have room for flat box in wardrobe, at least not atm!
    PWD, I agree that bulky scarves / wraps are better rolled. Yes, doing random kondo happens more now. As you say, you become more attuned to what sparķs joy and what needs releasing :D

ETA - changed my mind on rolling bulky scarves. Works best for me if I kondo fold and file!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport